Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Arrogance

Australian Arrogance

Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Arrogance

Originally Posted by MDawson

The main issue I had with Australia is how most Aussies actually believe they are better than the rest of the human race (god knows why)

Many Aussies haven't travelled or been outside their own back yard and just listen to the Aussie media telling them how wonderful they are and their country.

I'm much more content now back here in Derbyshire , England isn't perfect but one thing I can say for sure, neither is Australia.
Who the **** did you mix with, is all I can say...

Plenty of Northerners have a big opinion of themselves - did they not invent the phrase which goes like, "I'm a Northerner and I mean what I say and say what I like etc"...

Originally Posted by MDawson
Difference is the British are not so arrogant and one -eyed.

I would warn anyone thinking of moving to Oz to think and think again , if you move to Australia you will bacome a second class pom instead of being a proud Englishman . ( A pom is an Englishman who has basically had his spine removed)
As always, I find these assertions very bizarre and say more about the individual poster.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I think you may be right Kim.

It's in the British psyche to be polite and good mannered. This can mean telling white lies to smooth the way and also not being boastful about ones achievements or ones country!
But not all British people are like this. Perhaps only the insignificant trip up over their own shoelaces. Frankly I tire of these petty generalisations that people like the OP make.

It shows a lack of a travelled person frankly and shows their own ignorance.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:30 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
This site ought to be changed from Britishexpats.com to Wewanttobeaustralian.com. Whenever anyone posts anything remotely negative about Australia they get flamed.
I tire sometimes of this whole "balanced view" thats trotted out. An OP starts a thread rubbishing Australia, making a sweeping statement that Australians are arrogant, do not travel, tells people to reconsider migrating there and calling various people who live here quite happily and don't really care if they are referred to as "poms" spineless. All on a forum that is mainly populated by people who are seeking to migrate to Australia or have done so and are relatively content with their lot.

Good intelligent debate and argument rarely gets flamed but if your going to play with matches in the first instance expect some smoldering responses imo.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I don't, but my point still stands.

These threads get full of lines like "pretty much all the Australians I know travel extensively" and "every Australian I've ever met spends Summer in the Alps and Winter's in the Maldives" and its just as much a generalization as "Australians don't travel".

As Hebe said, "the people who haven't travelled are usually the young, the elderly or the poor"

That's a bloody big chunk of the populous.
Taking out Hebe's statement the only person I've seen come out with the lines you quote, is you.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't, but my point still stands.

These threads get full of lines like "pretty much all the Australians I know travel extensively" and "every Australian I've ever met spends Summer in the Alps and Winter's in the Maldives" and its just as much a generalization as "Australians don't travel".

As Hebe said, "the people who haven't travelled are usually the young, the elderly or the poor"

That's a bloody big chunk of the populous.
Maybe. Of course some people haven't moved out of NSW - it is a large state.

A lot of it is demographics. My neighbour was off to Canada for the Olympics. He's not short of a few bucks. Frankly most people in professional life do go overseas alot, porportionately more so when you could consider the expense and the distance.

That girl in Subway is probably not the luckiest of girls - or is saving hard to get somewhere.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Maybe. Of course some people haven't moved out of NSW - it is a large state.

A lot of it is demographics. My neighbour was off to Canada for the Olympics. He's not short of a few bucks. Frankly most people in professional life do go overseas alot, porportionately more so when you could consider the expense and the distance.

That girl in Subway is probably not the luckiest of girls - or is saving hard to get somewhere.
She was probably only 15 as well. But represents the whole demographic of Australia.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
She was probably only 15 as well. But represents the whole demographic of Australia.
Oh FFS.... you know what, you're right. I'm a ****ing idiot for even suggesting the very idea that not all Australians are globe trotters. I take back everything I said....

It goes without saying that every single one of them is either planning their next expedition up the Nile, is actually on said expedition or has just got back and is telling everybody where their next jaunt will be.

Happy now?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh FFS.... you know what, you're right. I'm a ****ing idiot for even suggesting the very idea that not all Australians are globe trotters. I take back everything I said....

It goes without saying that every single one of them is either planning their next expedition up the Nile, is actually on said expedition or has just got back and is telling everybody where their next jaunt will be.

Happy now?
No - you were making fun of people who do claim that people go overseas.

You work in the Gong - a limited place by your own admission. You once said I needed to get out more - well we do - as do people we know. They get out overseas!

A couple have just back from a Melbourne Uni choral society tour of Europe. Cathedrals in Vienna, Germany, Paris - a huge list. They get out more than most Expats.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't quite understand how people can have such completely opposite experiences.

I could say lots of negative things about Australia - I find it a bit shallow, a bit bland, a rip-off and a lie-down-and-be-shafted attitude towards business...

But the people generally are great. I wonder if it's who you happen to work with. The ones I associate with most closely are witty, intelligent (or they seem so to me!), very aware of the country's shortcomings and very respectful of my background. Having said that, most do seem to have a British connection somewhere - one or two generations back. I wonder if this leads to a common sense of humour...

My only slate-everybody comment would be that there are far too many idiots in cars - revving engines and doing burnouts - and too many people accepting of it.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
No - you were making fun of people who do claim that people go overseas.
I'm doing nothing of the ****ing sort....

I think the claim that most Australians don't travel is bollocks... I also think the rubbish that usually gets trotted out in threads like this about ALL Australians travelling the globe on a daily basis is also bollocks.

All that's happened here is that Godzoners, a term I haven't used in years, have seen their own arses and determined that because I actually had the temerity to suggest that, actually, not every Australian travels is somehow an attack.

**** sake, I can see how people who try to point out anything negative about Australia say they get rounded on in the Barbie.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
Fourthded.
Fifthed...

I have an aunt (non-Welsh variety) who lived in Kent. She was horriefied that we were moving to Aus....why would anyone want to go so far?

Don't think she ever left Kent. Therefore I have to conclude that all English people never leave Kent.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:14 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, what the heck are you all getting het up about, it's not a life and death issue here for gawds sake

Calm down folks, or else the thread gets closed down and the OP ends up a happy chappy
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:15 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
......Therefore I have to conclude that all English people never leave Kent.

Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Aye ... nothing wrong with a good reasoned debate but when the OP is shot through with the kind of thing we see here then they deserve a serve.

But that is what trolls do innit? Divide and conquer. And the world spins on ...

Right, enough of this LCD-based bollards ... I'm off to another typical Australian hellish day ... a morning of cricket net practice with a bunch of arrogant Aussies ... how WILL I survive?

With some retaliatory Ashes humour I think ...
Aye....shit weekends mate, but someone's gotta live it
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have heard from Aussies who make sweeping statements like "Aus is the best place in the world" and it does get up my nose but on the whole I would say that the majority of it is perpetuated by the media - television and newspapers carrying on about the wonders of Australia because for so long, I think, Aus was seen as a bit of a 'poor cousin' to the rest of the industrialised world and now that it has come into it's own (particularly since the Sydney olympics) is more on the world stage, the media still harbours this insecurity and needs to be reassured that Aus is in fact, good enough.

For the first 5 years that I was here, I remember just about every celebrity that arrived in the country was asked What they thought of Australia as their first question - e-v-e-r-y t-i-m-e - used to drive me mad! It's better..now they say, do you prefer Melbourne or Sydney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.