Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Arrogance

Australian Arrogance

Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Arrogance

Many Aussies haven't travelled or been outside their own back yard and just listen to the Aussie media telling them how wonderful they are and their country.
I had to write a paper on this very subject many years ago and the figures have stuck in my mind
26% of all Australians aged 18 to 30 are outside the country every 12 mths

Sydney to Hong Kong 7300Km
Perth to Singapore 3900Km
Perth to Sydney (road ) 3900Km or 3300 air Km

London to Moscow 2500Km
London to Athens 2375Km

It shows that to travel in Australia is a lot further than anywhere in Europe

Melbourne is the second biggest Greek city in the world

What appears to upset you is that the OZ local has a positive attitude
would life be better if they all said it was a s**t hole
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:25 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Australians are pretty keen travellers but obviously, it's not always true that travel broadens the mind. There's no guarantee anyone's going to get smarter or more worldly just because they spend two weeks in Kuta or Shagaluf.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MDawson
I recently moved back to the UK after nine long years in Australia.
Sydney and Brisbane.

I had no real complaints about the weather , although it did get a bit too hot and sticky in the summer and the flies put a stop to any picnics and oh yes it lacked green hills and countryside to have a decent walk and picnic with the family.

The main issue I had with Australia is how most Aussies actually believe they are better than the rest of the human race (god knows why)

Many Aussies haven't travelled or been outside their own back yard and just listen to the Aussie media telling them how wonderful they are and their country.

I'm much more content now back here in Derbyshire , England isn't perfect but one thing I can say for sure, neither is Australia.

Difference is the British are not so arrogant and one -eyed.

I would warn anyone thinking of moving to Oz to think and think again , if you move to Australia you will bacome a second class pom instead of being a proud Englishman . ( A pom is an Englishman who has basically had his spine removed)
Sydney and Brisbane, why would you bother???? Loads of lovely places to live here in oz. I would never move to the city, like back in UK any city is full of ignorant people (not them all, but most) I have met many Australians here up and down the east coast and 99% of them are very pleasant people!!

I do hope you enjoy life back in dreary England, good luck!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:51 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

An important point I like to remember in this regard is that I'm Welsh and therefore am better than everyone else.

I'm also not in Australia, but I thought it was a point worth making nontheless.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:04 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

mate there's good and bad, ignorant and stupid people the world over. Not any one country can claim this as their unique asset.

Overall Aussies are good eggs with a few stinkers.

Bit like the UK really
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kimandken
Sydney and Brisbane, why would you bother???? Loads of lovely places to live here in oz. I would never move to the city, like back in UK any city is full of ignorant people (not them all, but most) I have met many Australians here up and down the east coast and 99% of them are very pleasant people!!

I do hope you enjoy life back in dreary England, good luck!
Nothing dreary about England , thats just your opinionated opinion.
You just have to know how to enjoy the UK , Wales is very nice also , we were there just last week , at least you can walk for miles and miles through green countryside without being eaten alive by variuos horrible creatures.
Anyone who doesn't know how to enjoy the old UK is just plain boring.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
An important point I like to remember in this regard is that I'm Welsh and therefore am better than everyone else.

I'm also not in Australia, but I thought it was a point worth making nontheless.
I would think all Welshachusaettians should be regarded as vastly superior
to the Antipodeans , particularly as their moniker is so impressive.

(Australia needs a Dragon on its flag - I,m jealous )

Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:23 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDawson
Nothing dreary about England , thats just your opinionated opinion.
You just have to know how to enjoy the UK , Wales is very nice also , we were there just last week , at least you can walk for miles and miles through green countryside without being eaten alive by variuos horrible creatures.
Anyone who doesn't know how to enjoy the old UK is just plain boring.
Pot calling kettle mate
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Does it matter and at what point does national pride become arrogance. Personally I think Australian's pale in comparison to the French in the arrogance stakes.

And arsenal fans obviously
You can go off some people you knowSue.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Sorry you feel that way, but to put it in perspective, the same can be said of any nationality, be they Australian, Briton, American etc etc...
Personally, I think Americans have a bigger opinion of themselves than anyone else, plus they are the saviours of the free world and are better than anyone else.
Definitely not my opinion of your average joe American, it's a big country and on the whole I find them to be some of the most humble and friendly people I have met. A little insular from time to time but for the most part, decent people.

I have found many Australians that I meet in daily situations to be rude and arrogant however. Particularly here in Sydney.

Example 1)

Meeting foot traffic in a supermarket or other such busy shop: Most Australians stop dead and stare at you blankly as if to say "Move, you are in my way" without saying anything. Would an "Excuse me please" hurt you so much?

Example 2)

Driving: Aussie drivers seem to go out of their way not to let you into their lane and will even do their upmost to prevent you getting in by closing the gap whether traffic is heavy or light.

Example 3)

Driving, again: Why is it when you let someone out, or in, they never say thankyou? not so much as a nod or a wave.

I can only describe it as a sense of entitlement of sorts...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Australian_2005 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dogscogs
Definitely not my opinion of your average joe American, it's a big country and on the whole I find them to be some of the most humble and friendly people I have met. A little insular from time to time but for the most part, decent people.

I have found many Australians that I meet in daily situations to be rude and arrogant however. Particularly here in Sydney.

Example 1)

Meeting foot traffic in a supermarket or other such busy shop: Most Australians stop dead and stare at you blankly as if to say "Move, you are in my way" without saying anything. Would an "Excuse me please" hurt you so much?

Example 2)

Driving: Aussie drivers seem to go out of their way not to let you into their lane and will even do their upmost to prevent you getting in by closing the gap whether traffic is heavy or light.

Example 3)

Driving, again: Why is it when you let someone out, or in, they never say thankyou? not so much as a nod or a wave.

I can only describe it as a sense of entitlement of sorts...
Sounds like my experience of London
Not saying that Australia is better or worse than the UK. I've been blessed to have lived in both.
Have to personally say I've found many Scottish people far more arrogant and rude than Aussies I've encountered, but also some of the nicest people I know are Scots. Is swings and round abouts. No 1 nation has a 100% pleasant population.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

This thread is very interesting and just makes me even more look forward to moving from England to Australia within the next year. I want to live in a country that is proud itself. I am pretty sick of being in the UK and everything is so negative. Uk is a great place to live, but no one says it !!

I am a scot who has enjoyed living in England for 10 years, but looking to get out before it implodes. I'm certainly glad I am out of Scotland as it is such a negative parochial country. Although I have enjoyed England, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is a country that is going downhill in a big way. They are letting too many people in (and that includes scottish !!), and the economy has no foundations (what does england make now ?). England is a nation of homeowners, who spend money based on the equity of their houses.

My kids are going to be better off growing up in a country that is POSITIVE and proud of itself, even if it borders on arrogance !!

Hope you enjoy your wet walks in the minging Derbyshire peaks, where the sun pokes through the dreary clouds once a year. Say hello to all the hairy bikers enjoying their ice cream in Matlock !!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, not this arrogant aussie thing AGAIN. We were having a BBQ with some South African friends in our compound a couple of nights ago and this subject came up. It seems that Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans are very similar and are quite often categorised as arrogant by Brits. We think it's just because we like to tell it like it is. And as for national pride, my brit born (but aussie raised) husband finds it really sad that his english relatives have such a low opinion of their own country and people. They're always so miserable and negative about everything. But again I think it's where you live and the people you mix with in either UK or Aus. As someone has pointed out, the OP probably lived in some bogan hole with people that, as an Australian, I would probably not like living near either.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Seconded
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Si T
Seconded
Thirded

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.