Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Bix
I thought the weather was the reason everyone came to Australia. What other reason could there be?

.....and I had Chianti with my BBQ
Surely weather alone can't be the reason. If people wanted more sunshine, they could have gone to other places in Europe. If they really wanted it hot, they could have also invested in an outdoor fireplace.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Good luck Steel, btw when are thinking of coming out here?
Looking at flights for March (mid to late). I'm back at work Monday, I need a few good paydays and I should be alright.

Got a few quid to last me a month or so. That would give me time to find some work I would imagine. The girlfriend has told me I cant house share with a lass.

I'll stop where is financially viable flower
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Surely weather alone can't be the reason. If people wanted more sunshine, they could have gone to other places in Europe. If they really wanted it hot, they could have also invested in an outdoor fireplace.
The weather and the money.

The kebabs too.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:43 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The weather and the money.

The kebabs too.
The weather, the money, the experience and being 10000 miles away from the mil.

(Did I really just type that?)
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back to SA after a lovely Christmas in England, to be confronted with 40 + temperatures and an out of control bushfire burning north east of the city. Welcome home from Adelaide .

So I suppose I am having one of those 'Oh God, what I am doing here moments' right now.
However, when Autumn arrives, I'll be happy to be here again
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
being 10000 miles away from the mil.

(Did I really just type that?)
I did the same but it wasn't my MiL, it was the husband's.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I did the same but it wasn't my MiL, it was the husband's.
I am equally happy to be that far away from my DIL, so it works both ways!!!
In 12 years she has never come on Skype ever, be it Christmas, special birthdays, her BIL getting engaged.
We laugh because all we see occasionally are her feet passing the room in the hall.
She has always been like this, even well before we moved here.
Luckily my other DIL who lives close, enjoys being part of our family, talk about chalk and cheese.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
Looking at flights for March (mid to late). I'm back at work Monday, I need a few good paydays and I should be alright.

Got a few quid to last me a month or so. That would give me time to find some work I would imagine. The girlfriend has told me I cant house share with a lass.

I'll stop where is financially viable flower
Sounds like a plan.
Are you not bringing your GF with you? If not, she supplies wise words.

Have you got any contacts here? Work or otherwise ?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I still love/hate it all in the same day, everyday!!

Wake up, beautiful lush green acerage, as natural as it was 100 years ago, wallabies, echidnas, lizards, tiny tropical birds.

Day gets hotter, start to wilt, idiotic politicians, or media, or bogans, insular annoying, start to hate it.

Nightime, watch a thousand stars from the bedroom windows, silence except the owls, the frogs in the forest, you wonder how lucky you can be.

Much to love, much to hate, but I think once you have travelled, that will be the case anywhere, always something somewhere else you miss.

Yep, I think the same, once you've travelled about you find yourself continually comparing, it's natural I suppose.

Originally Posted by Bix
I thought the weather was the reason everyone came to Australia. What other reason could there be?:
Hot men in Speedos perhaps?

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I think the same, once you've travelled about you find yourself continually comparing, it's natural I suppose.

Hot men in Speedos perhaps?

you don't mean this idiot I hope?

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
Good Lord Blackey, I'll be having bloody nightmares now!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lord Blackey, I'll be having bloody nightmares now!
LOL, it was your UK crew that sent him here ha ha.

Just found this floating around the net too, we may be up for an election soon IF this is legit,
seems old boney tony may not have been an Australian citizen prior to being elected.
Again, IF this is legit(fingers crossed)

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 3rd 2015 at 8:05 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of

Sounds like a plan.
Are you not bringing your GF with you? If not, she supplies wise words.

Have you got any contacts here? Work or otherwise ?
She won't go. "It's too far away and what if summat happens to my family?" Tough luck if it does. One of them things. Plus, she can't just jack her job in. I'm self-employed so I can.

As for contacts, I'm slowly beginning to add more and more people who know people kinda thing. Overheard someone the other day talking about their niece being in Darwin (from Sheffield as well) so I had a quick chat with him about it. It's hardly concrete but it's handy I suppose.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
LOL, it was your UK crew that sent him here ha ha.

Just found this floating around the net too, we may be up for an election soon IF this is legit,
seems old boney tony may not have been an Australian citizen prior to being elected.
Again, IF this is legit(fingers crossed)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...1e9a02e4370eb7
Oi don't blame the UK! Anway, let's be fair, he isn't half as bad as that female we sent you.

I reckon that's someone's product of wishful thinking. Surely if it was legit it would've been found by now?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
She won't go. "It's too far away and what if summat happens to my family?" Tough luck if it does. One of them things. Plus, she can't just jack her job in. I'm self-employed so I can.

As for contacts, I'm slowly beginning to add more and more people who know people kinda thing. Overheard someone the other day talking about their niece being in Darwin (from Sheffield as well) so I had a quick chat with him about it. It's hardly concrete but it's handy I suppose.

So, you just thought 'stuff you', I'm going without ya!' I'm sure that'll work! Lol

Yep it's all about networking, if you're on Facebook maybe join some groups now that are based in the area you are looking at.

Also sometimes there are meet ups in the UK for perspective migrants, it's worth having a look on all forums see what you can come up with.

I take it you're planning on being a builder out here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.