Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The alleged doom and gloom has never been any different in England, thanks in large part to a very competitive tabloid press and on the other hand a population that doesn't necessary want to be fed on the manta of how good we are or worse the best of everything.

Many aware Aussies feel a sense that things are far from alright. Whether the negatives are highlighted as in UK or only lightly touched upon, if at all in Australia it hardly makes a difference. House prices are out of reach of many first home buyers and work that is not short term contracts or casual is harder to find. 31% youth are un/under employed which is high in any language. Older people are wondering if they can afford retirement with the high costs.
We are principally a consumerist society and all that that entails. California Lite.
You've got it figured !!
Media scare / fear mongering isn't limited to UK press, our guys have been taking notes from theirs.
There are changes afoot all planned by more influential folk than us and all is not well in most parts of the world, I feel oz is a testing ground sometimes for legislations that are coming to a town near you.
What they want us to hear is more important than what we need to be hearing.
A Gov't always benefits financially from giving the masses an enemy to hate, it's an easy sell, the gullible fall for it.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 2nd 2015 at 1:07 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
You've got it figured !!
Media scare / fear mongering isn't limited to UK press, our guys have been taking notes from theirs.
There are changes afoot all planned by more influential folk than us and all is not well in most parts of the world, I feel oz is a testing ground sometimes for legislations that are coming to a town near you.
What they want us to hear is more important than what we need to be hearing.
A Gov't always benefits financially from giving the masses an enemy to hate, it's an easy sell, the gullible fall for it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...da6dd8c499a9d1
Again +. Sad thing being is it never had to be this way. Once out the bag though hard to put back.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Oh now ya' sweet-talking !! Sounds brilliant.
Sydney drivers no diff I'm sure, they hate bikes/bikers here with a passion and know the coppers will usually side with them, at 61(43 on big bikes) I've survived riding defensively keeping the attitude every SOB steel cage is your enemy and out to kill you.
The Amalficoast Italy few friends tell me, shown me their pics riding there also sounds fantastic as well.

BTW-Happy new year to all
(Yes Santa can use it too)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...434b2d8f7f2c98
Might just have to get my pool out soon. Looks cool.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
These stats do not apply to the vest majority of people who live in Australia. There are still big distances to travel in the UK, have been on the m4 lately? Gridlocked traffic.
Gridlocked M4 is an understatement.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think you'll find that the visa requirements are one issue and the older you get the more security you want. Many people can never really settle in Australia and realise it's not paradise. As Europeans, Europe has a great climate and with the right of free movement you have many options. I live in Ireland myself and have seen so many return from Australia in the last 2 years. One reason is it's home, cheaper real estate and the job market is picking up again. I can fly to London from Dublin in less than 1 hour 20 mins, Lisbon or Barcelona in 2 hours 40 mins etc. There are plenty of reasons, but for most it will also be family.
I think when you come from a close, small- knit community it's harder to leave it behind. The feeling you get from belonging to that kind of community will only make it more difficult for people who are trying to settle somewhere that's completely foreign to them. I think a lot of people go home just because of homesickness alone.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right verystormy.
Sydney N.S.W. to Perth W.A. is 42 hours (3,938.2 km) via National Highway A1
Australia is larger than USA(not inc Hawaii / Alaska)
Then England is around the same size as our 2nd smallest state Victoria.
I have ridden many many times syd - perth in just under 3 days.
A motorcycle ride for my daughter and I from Spain to Italy in an early start day should be no effort at all.

http://www.britzinoz.com/wp-content/...aus-europe.jpg
That map certainly puts the size of Australia into perspective and to think the majority of the land is uninhabited.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
Struggling to edit your quote on this stupid phone but I wanted to pick out your 'people are so optimistic here' comment.

Trust me, not many here are. It's all doom and gloom. The news is full of doom and gloom. The papers - Ebola, air crashes, people going missing, murders, shootings, dawn terror raids - it's constant negativity. It's why I want out. Even if just for a few month.

If I do have kids, ideally I don't want them raised here in england. The schools near me have 60 different languages in em. Hardly ideal is it?

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you soon. A familiarity upon my arrival would help me immensely.

It's funny you know, you think England is in a mess with all the social problems it has going on, but it's not until you come and live in Australia that you realise it's just the same here. I can not stress that enough. Don't be wooed by all the stimulating adverts/programmes you see on TV and in magazines. They are never going to show you the downside of the coin and just like England, Australia has one.
The flip side of the coin however - the positive side, is just like England it has some great things going for it too.

It really is swings and roundabouts, they both take you on a ride, it just depends which way you want to go.

If you are really unhappy where you are, then I guess you've nothing to lose. Also the fact you've no kids will make the move far less complicated and easier for you. Give it a go, as long as you are realistic in your expectations you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Good luck Steel, btw when are thinking of coming out here?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
That map certainly puts the size of Australia into perspective and to think the majority of the land is uninhabited.
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/apmrc/pubs/policy-briefs/APMRC_Policy_Brief_Vol_1_3_2013.pdf

A low population density of 2 persons per km

A high level of urbanisation
–
89 percent live in
urban areas.
A concentration within capital cities
–
65 percent.
A strong coastal orientation with 82 percent living within 50
km of
the coast.
An uneven density
–
90.5 percent of the people live on 0.22 percent of the land area with a density of 100 persons or more per km
while 0.34 percent of the population live on 84.2 percent of the land area at a density of 0.1 persons or less per km
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/apmrc/pubs/policy-briefs/APMRC_Policy_Brief_Vol_1_3_2013.pdf

A low population density of 2 persons per km

A high level of urbanisation
–
89 percent live in
urban areas.
A concentration within capital cities
–
65 percent.
A strong coastal orientation with 82 percent living within 50
km of
the coast.
An uneven density
–
90.5 percent of the people live on 0.22 percent of the land area with a density of 100 persons or more per km
while 0.34 percent of the population live on 84.2 percent of the land area at a density of 0.1 persons or less per km
That's interesting. So if I've read it right, it's basically saying the population is growing but mainly down the East, South, coast and some of the remote areas of the mining villages? It will be interesting to see just how populated the mining villages and surrounds stay, now that the boom is over.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny you know, you think England is in a mess with all the social problems it has going on, but it's not until you come and live in Australia that you realise it's just the same here. I can not stress that enough. Don't be wooed by all the stimulating adverts/programmes you see on TV and in magazines. They are never going to show you the downside of the coin and just like England, Australia has one.
The flip side of the coin however - the positive side, is just like England it has some great things going for it too.

It really is swings and roundabouts, they both take you on a ride, it just depends which way you want to go.

If you are really unhappy where you are, then I guess you've nothing to lose. Also the fact you've no kids will make the move far less complicated and easier for you. Give it a go, as long as you are realistic in your expectations you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Good luck Steel, btw when are thinking of coming out here?
Horses for courses isn't it? Its those lovely nights when I'm doing a BBQ on my balcony, swilling a fine Australian Shiraz and looking at the stars that I feel this place is wonderful. Yet other times it seems like a bogan shit hole. I've never been mad about this place to be honest but I needed a change from the cold.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Horses for courses isn't it? Its those lovely nights when I'm doing a BBQ on my balcony, swilling a fine Australian Shiraz and looking at the stars that I feel this place is wonderful. Yet other times it seems like a bogan shit hole. I've never been mad about this place to be honest but I needed a change from the cold.
That was exactly my thoughts 4 years ago. Just needed a change. And bizarrely had a BBQ on the balcony tonight swilling merlot.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Horses for courses isn't it? Its those lovely nights when I'm doing a BBQ on my balcony, swilling a fine Australian Shiraz and looking at the stars that I feel this place is wonderful. Yet other times it seems like a bogan shit hole.
Yep! You've hit the nail on the head there. I had a moment today when I thought. ' God it's beautiful here' and then I have days when I think ' What the hell am I doing here! "

I think the best way to deal with it if you know you're here for the long run is to embrace the positives and try and shrug off the negatives otherwise it'll end up driving you mad!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been mad about this place to be honest but I needed a change from the cold.
You got that then

Coping any better now? Hope so.

January and February suck.

My choice today, bvegas 28 and 80% humidity. = Sweat.

Melbourne 38 and 8% humidity. = Burn.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! You've hit the nail on the head there. I had a moment today when I thought. ' God it's beautiful here' and then I have days when I think ' What the hell am I doing here! "

I still love/hate it all in the same day, everyday!!

Wake up, beautiful lush green acerage, as natural as it was 100 years ago, wallabies, echidnas, lizards, tiny tropical birds.

Day gets hotter, start to wilt, idiotic politicians, or media, or bogans, insular annoying, start to hate it.

Nightime, watch a thousand stars from the bedroom windows, silence except the owls, the frogs in the forest, you wonder how lucky you can be.

Much to love, much to hate, but I think once you have travelled, that will be the case anywhere, always something somewhere else you miss.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the weather was the reason everyone came to Australia. What other reason could there be?

.....and I had Chianti with my BBQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.