Reload this Page >

Australia + Global Warming

Australia + Global Warming

Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

newton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia + Global Warming

Daft question, but....

Does anyone consider where Australia's climate will be in 10 - 50 years and would it effect your decision to emigrate?

Ive read some pretty scary stuff about water shortages / heat etc... e.g

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/...ectid=10421763
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:55 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia + Global Warming

Originally Posted by newton
Daft question, but....

Does anyone consider where Australia's climate will be in 10 - 50 years and would it effect your decision to emigrate?

I heard recently that Northern Australia is expecting a big increase in rainfall and that there are plans to bring some of this water to the South?? Hope this true - the whole global warming scenario is a very depressing topic.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

And according to my OH, he read in the paper that in the next 10 years they will be drinking re-cycled sewage water, he says this as I'm sitting drinking a glass of water YUK!!!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:26 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazmil
And according to my OH, he read in the paper that in the next 10 years they will be drinking re-cycled sewage water, he says this as I'm sitting drinking a glass of water YUK!!!
It cant get any hotter can it?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

RachandGarry will become famous soon enough

My family are in Bundaberg, Qld, and have said exactly this. In fact, I thought they said it was happening in some areas now....?

I think some of our water here is processed that way too, isn't it?

It does worry me slightly, but so do many things that could happen to England, so I guess global warming is going to affect everywhere in some way..?

Rachel x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:05 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

If you have lived in the UK you have probably already drunk recycled water. To quote the bbc:

Water is already recycled in places like Singapore and the UK, but the idea is still unpopular in Australia.

Full article

Martyn
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tin
If you have lived in the UK you have probably already drunk recycled water. To quote the bbc:

Water is already recycled in places like Singapore and the UK, but the idea is still unpopular in Australia.

Full article

Martyn

I can't imagine why they'd need to recycle up here in Scotland, water is not something we're short of, we've got so much of it, it's falling from the sky on a daily basis
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:15 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I find it odd that recycled water is such a new concept in Oz. My OH and I used to work for Thames Water and know exactly how many time a glass of our water has been recycled! Although we worked in IT it was company policy for all employees to get a trip round a water treatment plant and a sewage plant - wonder why I left to work for Disney next!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:40 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

And that is exactly what you have been doing in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I grew up near London and drank recycled water all my life until I left. Live in Ireland now, and I have to say its a much better option than some of the Group Water Schemes here. Luckily we're on the main town supply so the water qaulity is very good, but some of the rural ones are undrinkable.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:20 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newton
Daft question, but....

The Uk could sink into the ocean with the rising sea levels due to global warming, l read the drought will end next year because the el Nino effect will be over, probably be floods and too much water, there was a worse drought early last century in OZ and that ended, its a natural cycle that comes and goes. If global warming does exist it will be 50 - 100 years before it gets really bad and will will either be vegetables in nursing homes or dead so who cares.
The article was a NZ newspaper, they have an inferiority complex in NZ and love to slagg of OZ.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Jan 31st 2007 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
:

The article was a NZ newspaper, they have an inferiority complex in NZ and love to slagg of OZ.
The research was done by the NSW Government, the CSIRO. Nothing to do with new zealand slaggin off oz.

Its good to see one government in OZ is actually taking any interest, Howard has his head up his own butt on it too, Australia wont even sign the Kyoto Protocol despite producing the the worst pollution per head of population.

She'll be right mate.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

In the paper yesterday, they had an article on water recycling, someone was quoted as saying:

"I thought the water up here tasted pretty good, but I don't like the taste of it now"

Maybe they should charge different prices for 'fresh' water and recycled water. If they charged double for the 'fresh' stuff then I bet most people would decide it tasted Ok then
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The research was done by the NSW Government, the CSIRO. Nothing to do with new zealand slaggin off oz.

Its good to see one government in OZ is actually taking any interest, Howard has his head up his own butt on it too, Australia wont even sign the Kyoto Protocol despite producing the the worst pollution per head of population.

She'll be right mate.
So what if we are the worse polluters per head. There are only 20 million of us and one of the most sparsly populated countries in the world. I think the comparison should be made by pollution per square metre. Whatever pollution we produce is a knats piss in the ocean compared to the USA, China or India. Whilst we should be making plans to deal with the consequences, there is nothing Australia can do to stop it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in the UK?

if so then you're probably drinking it anyway...!

I agree with Nedkelly, the amount of pollution coming from this country can be nowhere near as much as the US or China where their population is 100 times what it is here.

As for the drought, I recently caught a thing on the news with this expert saying it was the El Nino effect and that this winter we should start to get back to normal rainfall - apparently droughts are on a regular cycle, which makes you wonder why on earth farmers dont manage their finances a bit better to cope.

Sorry, I dont buy into all this global warming nonsense, weather is a strange thing, always has been, always will be and just because it steps out of the so-called "normal" weather doesnt mean we'll all be fried by 2017.

Should have read ALL the posts shouldnt I, sorry Lord Pom Percy, I just repeated some of what you said!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.