Australia Day??

Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by paulrachel
NB do you spell his name wrong on purpose?

Agree with you there Worzel. Hillarys fireworks were not worth getting out of bed for My birthday is on Bonfire night so fireworks are not my thing, been around too long to get excited about them
I'm still unsure what Oz day is all about, so i suppose i'll just pretend and head to the pub
http://www.australiaday.gov.au/pages/index.asp

should answer all your questions.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Something is going over my head here (as usual )

How can this:

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident

mean that Arkon's son, who was born in Australia to an Australian PR visa holder mean that his son isn't a citizen
I can say absolutely definitively that if at least one parent is PR (or "eligible" NZ citizen) when the child is born, then Australia-born child is automatically an Australian citizen.

But this shows that there are people out there who assert with great confidence that if parents are not Australian, then child isn't either.

That's why it's so important - especially if parents are PR/eligible NZ - to get the child an Australian citizenship certificate (using form 119) to prove his or her Australian citizenship when this viewpoint is encountered during the child's life. Especially if that other person is a badly informed government official, employer, education official etc.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you in Perth with young kids, our experience last year was a bit of an anticlimax.

We went to King's Park about 3 hours early - our kids were fantastically patient but in the end they couldn't see well because other people arrived and pretty much blocked the view.

That coupled with the bad language and alcohol from some of the low-lifes made it slightly uncomfortable.

On top of all this I actually thought the fireworks were good but I was expecting better from all the hype. New Year's Eve in Singapore over the Marina was more spectacular and our kids didn't really express many "wows" - even when I put them on my shoulders to see more clearly!.

Anyhow suffice to say that a simple cost/benefit analysis means that we won't be repeating the experience this year! (We might stand on the balcony and gaze at Hillary's)
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I have several unrelated comments on this thread so far (none of which are Arkon-bashing - there are enough doing that ):

In 6 pages I only counted one post (not until the 23rd - well done Vash) actually refers to the significance of Australia Day (and yet so many people are ranting on about citizenship - no one mentioned responsibilities that come with it like fighting for Australia in a war)

We have friends who have applied for their citizenship in the ward of Joondalup and the waiting list is about 6 months.

What is the obsession with fireworks??? We went to the ones at Hillarys before Xmas - spent two hours waiting for them and 45 minutes getting out of the car park just for 15 minutes of flash / bang

I have no idea why anyone would want to go into the city for Skyworks in the small hours to set up a camp site so they can be sit in the middle of a riot caused by pi55ed up teenagers just for said fireworks.
Anybody who has applied or who is considering applying, is made very aware of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship of Australia. And I don't see any harm in discussing Australia day citizenship ceremonies on a british ex pats forum. It is has been widely known for many years that these ceremonies are commonly held on Australia day. These forums always meander around various viewpoints and topics, that's normal.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:57 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Anybody who has applied or who is considering applying, is made very aware of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship of Australia. And I don't see any harm in discussing Australia day citizenship ceremonies on a british ex pats forum. It is has been widely known for many years that these ceremonies are commonly held on Australia day. These forums always meander around various viewpoints and topics, that's normal.
I wasn't criticising - merely pointing out that there are responsibilities that go with citizenship as well as benefits that had not been mentioned so was reminding everyone including those who have yet to apply and may not have known this.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't criticising - merely pointing out that there are responsibilities that go with citizenship as well as benefits that had not been mentioned so was reminding everyone including those who have yet to apply and may not have known this.
Did you know, interesting fact coming up here, that Australian citizenship only came into being in 1949? That is less than 60 years, I was amazed, don't know why, but I was! I am assuming that all in Australia were British subjects prior to this?
Does anybody know if this is accurate?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I can say absolutely definitively that if at least one parent is PR (or "eligible" NZ citizen) when the child is born, then Australia-born child is automatically an Australian citizen.

But this shows that there are people out there who assert with great confidence that if parents are not Australian, then child isn't either.

That's why it's so important - especially if parents are PR/eligible NZ - to get the child an Australian citizenship certificate (using form 119) to prove his or her Australian citizenship when this viewpoint is encountered during the child's life. Especially if that other person is a badly informed government official, employer, education official etc.
Thanks JAJ, We were told on more than one occasion to make sure he gets his certificate now even though he probably would never need it, mainly because far too many people don't know the facts and it might cause him trouble in the future if he didn't have it. So we got him his certificate but even on the phone trying to get it we had an argument with the Aussie at the other end telling us not to bother, don't waste your money etc.

I say if your kids are entitled to it, get it now. It will be far easier just after they are born and armed with the blue book than in 20 years time when the blue book is nowhere to be found, parents might be dead and burried also.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:07 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Did you know, interesting fact coming up here, that Australian citizenship only came into being in 1949? That is less than 60 years, I was amazed, don't know why, but I was! I am assuming that all in Australia were British subjects prior to this?
Does anybody know if this is accurate?
Yep.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/975i.pdf

Even more amazing - I still remember being shocked in the Immigration museum in Melbourne to read that Aboriginals were classed as animals rather than people until the late 60's.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep.

Even more amazing - I still remember being shocked in the Immigration museum in Melbourne to read that Aboriginals were classed as animals rather than people until the late 60's.
Hey, that is a familiar date, 26th of January!

Whoa, that is shocking, animals?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep.

OMG...animals!!! don't know whether to laugh or cry!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

They (Aboriginals) were actually classed as "flora and fauna", not 'animals'. Not that it makes it any the better....
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:25 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by steandleigh
They (Aboriginals) were actually classed as "flora and fauna", not 'animals'. Not that it makes it any the better....
I knew that but as flora = plants and fauna = animals I took a guess that they were not believed to be shrubs
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:26 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

This particular Australia Day, I will be travelling back from Canberra with a bunch of kids that I've taken to a camp there
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I knew that but as flora = plants and fauna = animals I took a guess that they were not believed to be shrubs
They didn't know what to class them as (and didn't want to class them as anything), so took the easy option - 'Flora and fauna' - no count - ...truth be told, they thought they would die out eventually, hence the lack of classification...too bad they actually carried on as a race, survived the hardship and are now starting to have more of a voice than ever before...

And there are posters on here who whinge that Australia has no history? A case of can't be arsed to look or care if you ask me...

Last edited by steandleigh; Jan 12th 2007 at 11:25 am. Reason: Typo...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Thanks JAJ, We were told on more than one occasion to make sure he gets his certificate now even though he probably would never need it, mainly because far too many people don't know the facts and it might cause him trouble in the future if he didn't have it. So we got him his certificate but even on the phone trying to get it we had an argument with the Aussie at the other end telling us not to bother, don't waste your money etc.

I say if your kids are entitled to it, get it now. It will be far easier just after they are born and armed with the blue book than in 20 years time when the blue book is nowhere to be found, parents might be dead and burried also.
Very well said. Also remember that if the certificate is ever lost, there now should be a permanent record on DIMA's systems which would make it a lot easier to replace in those circumstances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.