Australia Day??

Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by arkon
I know they swear in new citizens there but what I want to know is if you get citizenship do you have to go and be sworn in on Oz day or can you opt out?
I know what I'm doing on Australia day, I'm being sworn in as a citizen!

I joked with my husband about having my ceremony on that day, oh how we laughed
Then what do you know, an invite to attend on that day arrived!

So I will be busy having my brain removed on that day, those are my husbands words not mine, and he is an Australian born and bred.

Does anybody know what you actually have to do??? Do you have to individually swear or do you do it together as a group?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Nicky, you must have arrived in Perth same time as us..May 06.
How you finding it?
You seem to have alot of family visiting you already. My family said it would be 5 years before they would come. Great eh!
Hi Rachel

We arrived late April. My husbands family all live close by us which has made it a lot easier as they are lovely. I only have a small family, my dad who is lovely but im not especially close to, and my twin sister who im very close to. She & her partner passed there TRA the same time we did & we were all set to emmigrate together, then just before her medicals she found out she had breast cancer. She has just got through the last of her follow up tests today & been told she is OK !

So pleased she is coming out to see us, but she still has another 2 years before she gets the all clear to start the emmigration process again !

All the best

Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I know what I'm doing on Australia day, I'm being sworn in as a citizen!

I joked with my husband about having my ceremony on that day, oh how we laughed
Then what do you know, an invite to attend on that day arrived!

So I will be busy having my brain removed on that day, those are my husbands words not mine, and he is an Australian born and bred.

Does anybody know what you actually have to do??? Do you have to individually swear or do you do it together as a group?
You have to lie and pretend you love it here
Only joking...havn't a clue really, but heard it's a piece of cake!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:41 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Its our first Australia day here as well & we have hired a holiday home for the weekend in Guilderton. There will be 16 of us including my Sister & family who are coming over from the UK ! Its going to be a great weekend !!!

Apologies in advance to anyone who lives nearby !

Nicky
Sounds like fun Nicky ...have a fab time
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They do them all year round. I would love to get mine for Aus Day but not sure the paperwork will have been done next year.

Roughly - and it is rough because each council runs them at different times - you are generally looking at 2+++ months after being accepted.
I applied end of Oct, had interview beginning November. So that must be the right way to time it for an Aus day ceremony. I didn't plan it that way at all, it just happened as co-incidence.

So yes, roughly 2+ months after the interview, at which I was accepted.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

You have to lie and pretend you love it here
Only joking...havn't a clue really, but heard it's a piece of cake!
Do you think I will be rumbled?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:17 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I applied end of Oct, had interview beginning November. So that must be the right way to time it for an Aus day ceremony. I didn't plan it that way at all, it just happened as co-incidence.

So yes, roughly 2+ months after the interview, at which I was accepted.
we had our interview at the end of AUGUST and I have had to hound them since Nov to try and get things processed for Australia Day. It all depends what office you send stuff to. Our application(along with another 999) got sent from Brissy to Southport which held things up, but all has come right in the end and just waiting on the official invitation from the council, but have been told our certificates jave been ordered and we are pencilled in for Aust Day
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Australia Day??

Ok, new to the country and still not sure what Australia Day is all about.
What is it's purpose and how do people celebrate.
Want to get into the action
Australia Day celebrates the foundation of the first colony in 1788.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 years here was on 4th September, we had our interview on 9th September. I rang the dept. in November to find out when our ceremony would be and they said earliest available is MARCH!!!: 7 months. :scared: ( Would have loved a January 26th ceremony. Nevermind.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:43 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Our 2 years here was on 4th September, we had our interview on 9th September. I rang the dept. in November to find out when our ceremony would be and they said earliest available is MARCH!!!: 7 months. :scared: ( Would have loved a January 26th ceremony. Nevermind.
phone them again and ask them to get your case officer to give you a call, thats what I did, and she called me last week and processed it there and then, told me to fone the council and get them to pencil us in for Australia Day and the paperwork was on its way..............sorted
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

We are planning to have a BBQ with a few friends. We did the same last year. Will be more fun for hubby this year as he has his new toy, a gass BBQ to cook the snags on
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:35 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

I know they swear in new citizens there but what I want to know is if you get citizenship do you have to go and be sworn in on Oz day or can you opt out?
Surely you're not going to apply for citizenship?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
Surely you're not going to apply for citizenship?
Too late, I already have.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:44 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Too late, I already have.
But why?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:53 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
But why?
I can't type in all the reasons again so I'll just point you at a previous post where I came under fire for wanting it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ip#post4184533

My boy is an Australian Citizen, so we need to be too now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.