Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia as it is

Australia as it is

Old Oct 10th 2002, 2:30 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Australia as it is

Hav'nt been on this forum for a while. When I first discovered it about a year ago I had lived in Oz for about 4 years and could'nt believe the bullshit being spouted here. It was full of Ozzie migrant agents, people with web sites to promote basically talking rubbish or English dreamers.

Coming back tonight, there seems a lot more balance in here. There are still the hidden agenda mob, the defensive ozzie mob and the UK dreamers that are hoping Oz will be their land of milk and honey. But at least now there are people saying it the way it is. Good on all those people like Dotty, PB and Herman etc etc.

All those people in the UK dreaming of a better life should read their posts. Personally having lived here for 5 years now I would not trust an Ozzie/Kiwi when it comes to being honest about Australia/NZ they are completely blinkered and at the least have no idea about the English (believe me we speak the same language but we are very very different people) and so cannot speak for what we want or like unless you are prepared to become Australian and reprogram out your English upbringing. It goes without saying do not trust anyone with a hidden agenda like a migration agent. When it comes to living in Oz in fact trust nobody !!! if you want to just do it with an open mind.

But honestly despite maybe people not wanting to hear what these Brit posters with real life experience of the place have to say, in my humble opinion, they speak more truth than all the rest put together.

Remember though I come from the South of UK and only left because my wife is Oz and wanted to come home and I was open minded and fancied a change. Would'nt change a thing now but going back next year because working here is bullshit. If you come from a crap area in the UK and have plenty of cash then you will probably like it here but why not spend the cash moving somewhere better at home first. If you come from a good area of the UK and like England despite all it's problems then you probably wont last here. To survive here you need lots of cash because the material can go someway to compensate for all the other things you will miss i.e friends, family, green countryside, walks in the woods, choice, travel, holidays, quality newspapers etc etc etc and also compensate for what you have to put up with i.e. Ozzies and all their prejudices, anti-pom rhetoric, insular attitudes etc.

Ozzies talk a good game but its all hot air. The whole country come to think of it has been founded on convincing Europeans to come and live here but thank god for the internet so real people actually doing it can provide real insight. I think it is far better than getting the censored PR Ozzie view.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 2:59 pm
plucka

Default Re: Australia as it is

Your entitled to your opinion I guess but I cannot understand how people can put the UK ahead of Aus. After living the last 4 years in London I can without a doubt say it is a total sesspit. Aus beats it in virtually every regard for me, the only good thing here the ability to make money but then again that money doesn't go very far in this being one of the most overpriced places in the entire world. I actually feel sorry for the losers living in this place, constantly stressed and all anyone cares about is money- for what- so they buy thier 2 bedroom terraced flat with no yard and commute 3 hours every day in gridlock traffic or shitty trains. I wont even start on the weather, public services and pollution. Looking forward to going back to Aus soon and enjoying the important things in life.

Old Oct 10th 2002, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Plucka
I liked yours better!

And yes- i am a dreamer. Better than being a negative ninny!
Old Oct 10th 2002, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by plucka:
Your entitled to your opinion I guess but I cannot understand how people can put the UK ahead of Aus. After living the last 4 years in London I can without a doubt say it is a total sesspit. Aus beats it in virtually every regard for me, the only good thing here the ability to make money but then again that money doesn't go very far in this being one of the most overpriced places in the entire world. I actually feel sorry for the losers living in this place, constantly stressed and all anyone cares about is money- for what- so they buy thier 2 bedroom terraced flat with no yard and commute 3 hours every day in gridlock traffic or shitty trains. I wont even start on the weather, public services and pollution. Looking forward to going back to Aus soon and enjoying the important things in life.
"Who is tired of London, is tired of life"
Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

max kilby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Devlin:

Clearly there are a lot of people here myself included who are tired of life then.......

London is a poo hole filled with tired miserable wage slaves (just look at the other faces on the tube) who have little or no time for anyone else and a me me me attitude. Living outside London but working there every day I feel the tension disappear as I get further away on my journey home every day. I leave my job at Canary Wharf where I have worked (amongst other areas in London) on and off for the last 15 years at the end of October and if I never have to come back to London again it will be too soon.

Other areas of the UK don't seem to be as bad as the Southeast but no one should confuse 'London' with 'the UK'

Yes the UK has good and bad points and I'm sure Oz has too but choices are up to the informed individual. Surely that's the reason for a forum - to invite discussion.

Yes, people are entitled to their own opinion and who is to say another individual is right or wrong?

Cheers,

MAX
Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

vavavoom is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps life in London has slightly changed since 1777 and Dr Johnson?

It is simply pointless to argue whether the UK is better than Oz or the other way round. It is completely and utterly a matter of personal preference. Some people don't mind traffic jams, tube strikes... Some people wish to live closer to nature, in sunny weather and clear skies. Let them.. Just live and let live and try not to spoil it for everybody else!
Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

That may have been true in 1770 but times have changed!
Personally if I had the money I could live almost anywhere, with a few exeptions e.g Chechnya, Algiers and Kabul spring to mind. However we have made the informed decision to try Australia,so that's where we're going!!
Susan
Old Oct 11th 2002, 12:00 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by susmac:

That may have been true in 1770 but times have changed!
Personally if I had the money I could live almost anywhere, with a few exeptions e.g Chechnya, Algiers and Kabul spring to mind. However we have made the informed decision to try Australia,so that's where we're going!!
Susan
One my South African friends here summed it up yesterday when he said "there are two completely different countries in England - London and the rest." Quite right, London is hell on earth, but that does not apply the whole of England.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 1:31 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are a bit of a failure , has anyone explained to you it is possible to earn a living outside of the south east of UK? forget the some of the misfits on this forum ,Australia is their only hope God help them.
I used to travel 7mins to work had a 3bed 2 bath detached house with garage set in the country side next to fields .
The only loser seems to be you to live in the south east requires more get and go then you have , some of the richest people on the planet have homes in London they find it okay , maybe you are right come and live in some faceless suburb in Australia and rot.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 11th 2002 at 4:13 am.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 4:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by max kilby:

Other areas of the UK don't seem to be as bad as the Southeast but no one should confuse 'London' with 'the UK'

Cheers,

MAX
Here, here
I'm fed up of people comparing the UK, only to be comparing London with Australia.Just one city/part of the UK.
London is disliked by hell of a lot of British people too. I personally hate London, I find it expensive, busy, and a lot of the people there are rude and unfriendly.There's no way I could live in London either.

I always tell people who are planning a trip to see Britain, get out of London.. and don't take London as Britain, Go to cornwall, go to Wales, go anywhere, but don't just sit in London for your visit, and think the whole of the UK is like that, or you'll get the wrong impression of Britain.

cheers
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:11 am
plucka

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Sounds like you are a bit of a failure , has anyone explained to you it is possible to earn a living outside of the south east of UK? forget the some of the misfits on this forum ,Australia is their only hope God help them.
I used to travel 7mins to work had a 3bed 2 bath detached house with garage set in the country side next to fields .
The only loser seems to be you to live in the south east requires more get and go then you have , some of the richest people on the planet have homes in London they find it okay , maybe you are right come and live in some faceless suburb in Australia and rot.

A failure? I think not loser. I was just giving my opinion on London. The reason I've lived here for the last 4 years is because this is where the jobs are in my field. Even though London is a hole to live in I've actually made the best of my time here and enjoyed the vast majority of it making friends here and travelling around Europe. Most importantly though I've made some very nice money and thanks to the lovely exchange rate I will be going back to Aus next year loaded and will enjoy a lifestyle 99% of poms can only dream of. Now compare that to you my friend, it is almost the opposite. You came to Aus, made no friends, hated every minute and are now going home virtually pennyless (again thanks to the lovely exchange rate), bitter and generally very sad. I am glad you had a nice home many years ago, tell me have you any idea what has happened to housing prices in the last few years in the UK? I sure you know they have doubled or even trippled. What kind of house are you going to buy here considering that your going to get 1 Pound for every $3's? Thats right, I can understand now why you are so angry and bitter, it's because you going back home a loser, again the exact opposite to me.
So I ask you again- who is the failure? heheheheheh

Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:17 am
plucka

Originally posted by Ceri:

Here, here
I'm fed up of people comparing the UK, only to be comparing London with Australia.Just one city/part of the UK.
London is disliked by hell of a lot of British people too. I personally hate London, I find it expensive, busy, and a lot of the people there are rude and unfriendly.There's no way I could live in London either.

I always tell people who are planning a trip to see Britain, get out of London.. and don't take London as Britain, Go to cornwall, go to Wales, go anywhere, but don't just sit in London for your visit, and think the whole of the UK is like that, or you'll get the wrong impression of Britain.

cheers
You are right is some sense but at the end of the day the SE is where the action is. From my experiences the rest of the UK is nice for a weekend away but for the most part are on the decline. Also problems like crime, overcrowding, pollution and pathetic pubic services like health and education are a UK wide problem. And of course you still need to very rich to own any kind of a decent house (by aussie standards) anywhere in pommyland. I wont even mention the climate.

Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Love it LOL- GO BOY GO!!!!!!

A failure? I think not loser. I was just giving my opinion on London. The reason I've lived here for the last 4 years is because this is where the jobs are in my field. Even though London is a hole to live in I've actually made the best of my time here and enjoyed the vast majority of it making friends here and travelling around Europe. Most importantly though I've made some very nice money and thanks to the lovely exchange rate I will be going back to Aus next year loaded and will enjoy a lifestyle 99% of poms can only dream of. Now compare that to you my friend, it is almost the opposite. You came to Aus, made no friends, hated every minute and are now going home virtually pennyless (again thanks to the lovely exchange rate), bitter and generally very sad. I am glad you had a nice home many years ago, tell me have you any idea what has happened to housing prices in the last few years in the UK? I sure you know they have doubled or even trippled. What kind of house are you going to buy here considering that your going to get 1 Pound for every $3's? Thats right, I can understand now why you are so angry and bitter, it's because you going back home a loser, again the exact opposite to me.
So I ask you again- who is the failure? heheheheheh [/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:29 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Now compare that to you my friend, it is almost the opposite. You came to Aus, made no friends, hated every minute and are now going home virtually pennyless (again thanks to the lovely exchange rate), bitter and generally very sad. I am glad you had a nice home many years ago, tell me have you any idea what has happened to housing prices in the last few years in the UK? I sure you know they have doubled or even trippled. What kind of house are you going to buy here considering that your going to get 1 Pound for every $3's? Thats right, I can understand now why you are so angry and bitter, it's because you going back home a loser, again the exact opposite to me.
So I ask you again- who is the failure? heheheheheh

God have you got it wrong , still sounds like you failed in UK and will fail in Australia or why leave either?
Bitter no way living in a second rate country was fun ,but time to get back to a place people have drive its like living in a bubble here going backward gets boring.
I know what I can afford in UK and where to live also have had job offers already on far more money than here so no worries for me pal how about yourself?
Come back to the arse end of the world and rot it all you are fit for.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:33 am
plucka

Originally posted by Ceri:

Here, here

cheers
As a final note if there is one thing I can about the difference's between the UK and Aus is this: litter.

Almost everywhere I go in England I see rubbish, on the streets, the trains, parks peoples own houses. Even though there is an army of street cleaners opertaing 24/7 the problem never goes away, why- because people here just don't give a shit. They whinge how grubby their town is and then 5 minutes later dicard their litter on the street without a 2nd thought. Couldn't be more different than Aus- the vast majority of people don't litter, its because we are bought up to have pride in our country. Those that do litter are immediatley given dirty looks by everyone around them, hence our cities are clean. We even have national clean-up days and the like. To me this sums up everything- UK- lazy, no pride, dont give a shit about anything but themselves. Aus- proud of our country, make a small effort to get good results, bringing our childern up with respect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.