Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:37 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I'm a bit confused by this one. Most of the traffic lights I've ever seen in the UK have lights on both sides of the intersection. Even the lights at Pelican crossings usually have two sets of lights for each direction.

A

Some intersections in Glasgow don't, and some do. But, 9 times out of ten the far traffic light don't work...............lol

Jim
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:40 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Some intersections in Glasgow don't, and some do. But, 9 times out of ten the far traffic light don't work...............lol

Jim
I only thought they didn't have them on the other side of the intersection if they would be confusing (for example 5 or 6 roads coming together). When I was in London, I used to find that the traffic flowed faster when the traffic lights weren't working.

A
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:48 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

I only thought they didn't have them on the other side of the intersection if they would be confusing (for example 5 or 6 roads coming together). When I was in London, I used to find that the traffic flowed faster when the traffic lights weren't working.

A

Funny you should say that, when I was driving the buses in Glasgow. I always prayed for a traffic light malfunction made the city so much quicker to get through.

Jim
Old Aug 8th 2005, 12:33 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Megalania
Thanks for that I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by logan
Good to see you online m'dear!! How is wee Ezekiel??!! I bet I'll notice the difference when I see him next!!

If I went back, even after such a short period of time I'd miss:

the sunshine...just can't beat it, sets you up in a great mood for the day
really cheap pizzas!!!
cherry tim-tams....(has anyone tried the chilli ones??? don't want to buy a
whole packet and not like them!)
great selection/good quality of fruit and veg
Helga's bread (esp. the sunflower,honey and oat loaf)
Hi Logan

Congrats again on your house. Ezekiel is doing well. He is growing every day so I am sure you will notice a change in him.

I have also debated trying chilli tim tams, but like you am put off buying a pack. They should sell them in trial size, or maybe sell a pack of mixed flavours.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:50 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tracey.d
... Still don't know what tim tams are though

Tracey
They're a bit like a penguin (biscuit), but with a bigger cult following

A
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

They're a bit like a penguin (biscuit), but with a bigger cult following

A
Thanks, I love penguins so will probably love them too

Tracey
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Thanks, I love penguins so will probably love them too

Tracey
http://about-australia-shop.com/timtams.htm

Hi Tracey, try the above site, shows you the packaging and the biccy. Cherry ones are the best!

Totally forgot my fav. choccy bar and crisps

CHERRY RIPE AND TWISTIES..use to take them back in my suitcase when I was on holiday here!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

I'm an Aussie in UK at the moment and some of the things I miss most (aside from my Mum and my mates, of course ) include:[list][*]TimTams (it had to be said!!);

U can geddem in Sainsburys!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:08 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
PR, find a local butcher. Only supermarkets sell rubbish meat. My butcher - Hi Peter is fab and sells gorgeous bacon. And meat that tastes of what it should and doesn't shrink to nothing once it's been cooked.

Feel free to come down south and borrow mine. Big cubicle with monsoon head. They are about but obviously not as many as Aus has. Because it's so "piggin" cold here, lots of people prefer baths if only to warm up in

Time Mr PR pulled his finger out and got that visa sorted so you can get home.

Thanks Pen, I've yet to find a 'local' butcher as we mainly shop at one of the supermarkets where there's no other food shops close by. Will have to look out for one though!

I'll take you up on that shower offer if I head in your direction! Where are you again?!!

I agree with you regarding MrPR's visa app. I'm still working on it!

Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:32 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Isn't it funny how you will near on always like what you started off with at "home", I agree some bacon in the Uk is crap and full of water but the expensive stuff like tesco finest maple cured bacon is the best ever, the bacon here in OZ is more like ham, the fat doesn't go crispy and I really dont like it.

most of the rest of the stuff you miss about Oz I'd miss aswell tho, try and find an old fashioned butcher for meat in the UK, thats what I had to do for the Hubby, more expensive but you can get a great steak, on Australia day a few years back I spent 2 days phoning every butcher in surrey and sussex trying to get a T bone and finally found them an hours drive away they were 6 quid each tho

For those who are missing UK style bacon, Coles now do it, it is not with the rest of the bacon but with the sausages and is in the same packaging you get bacon in the UK in and is called "Traditionally cured" 90% of the time it is really nice but I have had the odd crap batch.

Kala

Yes, I know what you mean about what you're used to - Pollyana and I disagree on which country has better bacon! As for steak, in Brissie, I'd buy a whole rib fillet, get it sliced and freeze it. I can't imagine doing that here, costwise, even if I could find a whole rib fillet!

Cheers for the advice regarding butchers. As I said to Moneypen, I'll have to check some out.

Last edited by ProofReader; Aug 11th 2005 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:38 pm
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by logan
cherry tim-tams....(has anyone tried the chilli ones??? don't want to buy a whole packet and not like them!)

I've tried the chilli TimTams; they taste like peppery ordinary ones! Not very hot at all, but surprisingly the peppery flavour goes quite well with chocolate. I bought a packet for a chilli-mad mate and we all tried them (three or four of us) and decided that they weren't bad but I wouldn't rush out for more. Different for a change/novelty.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:41 pm
Dismembered Bat

I'm a bit confused by this one. Most of the traffic lights I've ever seen in the UK have lights on both sides of the intersection. Even the lights at Pelican crossings usually have two sets of lights for each direction.

A

Maybe this is a local (Humberside) thing, I don't know but most lights here only have ones on the left and right of the road on the nearside of the intersection. I have seen them on the far side, but only on very major intersections.

Got me beat! *shrug*

Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:46 pm
Dismembered Bat

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
U can geddem in Sainsburys!!

Thanks Ozzidoc, I'll have a look. I must say, however, that I really only chucked that one in for a giggle - I'm not much of a sweet tooth. Might be nice for a change though, if I can find them!