Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Originally Posted by KatieStar
That is a good one. I had not thought of that I love my laundry. I know that in the UK some lucky folks have utility rooms but it is law here no washing in the kitchen. LOL the UK is soooo unhygienic

Do all houses have laundry rooms then? I have a utility and it's one of my fave room , only because I can leave all my ironing in there and it doesn't look too bad

Tracey
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Any Aussies missing XXXX beer they are on special at NETTO
for £9.99 a case

Bruce
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

[*]good meat generally and choice of cuts, but especially a *decent* steak;[*]fryable bacon - not like the stuff here which is pumped full of water;
PR, find a local butcher. Only supermarkets sell rubbish meat. My butcher - Hi Peter is fab and sells gorgeous bacon. And meat that tastes of what it should and doesn't shrink to nothing once it's been cooked.

[*]a proper shower - not one over a bath, or one of the cramped cubicles I've seen here;
Feel free to come down south and borrow mine. Big cubicle with monsoon head. They are about but obviously not as many as Aus has. Because it's so "piggin" cold here, lots of people prefer baths if only to warm up in

Time Mr PR pulled his finger out and got that visa sorted so you can get home.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Do all houses have laundry rooms then? I have a utility and it's one of my fave room , only because I can leave all my ironing in there and it doesn't look too bad

Tracey
All the houses I have seen have them. My aunt has hers in the rumpus room under the house. Ours is a lowset house and the laundry is across from the kitchen. I don't iron in there though, I like to do mine watching the tv or dvd.

Katie
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:03 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

[*]fryable bacon - not like the stuff here which is pumped full of water;

Isn't it funny how you will near on always like what you started off with at "home", I agree some bacon in the Uk is crap and full of water but the expensive stuff like tesco finest maple cured bacon is the best ever, the bacon here in OZ is more like ham, the fat doesn't go crispy and I really dont like it.

most of the rest of the stuff you miss about Oz I'd miss aswell tho, try and find an old fashioned butcher for meat in the UK, thats what I had to do for the Hubby, more expensive but you can get a great steak, on Australia day a few years back I spent 2 days phoning every butcher in surrey and sussex trying to get a T bone and finally found them an hours drive away they were 6 quid each tho

For those who are missing UK style bacon, Coles now do it, it is not with the rest of the bacon but with the sausages and is in the same packaging you get bacon in the UK in and is called "Traditionally cured" 90% of the time it is really nice but I have had the odd crap batch.

Kala
Old Aug 7th 2005, 9:52 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

I Miss a few things from Oz from my visit there last year.
The friendliness and helpfullness of shop assistants. Not like the jumped up little gits you get over here who look down there nose at you or look at you like you're a shoplifter.
The other things I miss are Cherry Ripes I've looked all over for them but can't find them so have to ask my fiancee's uncle to send them over.
Decent sports shops where you can buy more than just football stuff, and have a wider choice for people who play other sports such as cricket.
The weather Enough said on that one really.

Rick
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rick C
or look at you like you're a shoplifter.
Rick

Lol, I thought that was just me . I must look shifty as I've always been followed round shops. Happened to me in Laura Ashley once, I was so peed off with the woman I spent ages just walking round and round the shop while she followed behind, just to wind her up. After I'd come out I wished that I'd ordered several random pieces of material and waited till they'd cut them to size before deciding I didn't actually want them. i've never stepped foot in one of their shops since

Tracey
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

You sometimes get that here too though - makes me laugh when the K-Mart woman who stands at the entrance / exit asks to check your bag! Infact, I might put a dildo in there for next time - that'll give her a buzz!!!
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:15 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

I Just hate the way their beedy little eyes follow you around everywhere you go. Might follow the m around for a while see how they like it.
Anyone know where to get cherry ripes from in England I'm doing through withdrawal its been 2 months since my last one.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:18 pm

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I was thinking about things I would miss about Oz if for some bizarre reason I moved back to the UK.

One major thing is the smell of eucalyptus, I love being out for a walk and breathing it in.

Lammingtons
strawberry lemonade flavour cordial
geckos
koalas
kangaroos
the sunny weather
squirms
nice barbecue sauce, UK version not the same

anyone else anything they would miss
Crack addict cleaning my windscreen for a dollar.................
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Good to see you online m'dear!! How is wee Ezekiel??!! I bet I'll notice the difference when I see him next!!

If I went back, even after such a short period of time I'd miss:

the sunshine...just can't beat it, sets you up in a great mood for the day
really cheap pizzas!!!
cherry tim-tams....(has anyone tried the chilli ones??? don't want to buy a
whole packet and not like them!)
great selection/good quality of fruit and veg
Helga's bread (esp. the sunflower,honey and oat loaf)
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
Crack addict cleaning my windscreen for a dollar.................
Where do you live in the UK?

Tracey
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

DIY Cherry Ripes from Deepest Darkest FNQ
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:12 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

traffic lights facing you on BOTH sides of the intersection (so that if you're first at the lights you don't have to crane your neck to see them)
I'm a bit confused by this one. Most of the traffic lights I've ever seen in the UK have lights on both sides of the intersection. Even the lights at Pelican crossings usually have two sets of lights for each direction.

A
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Megalania
I always thought cherry ripes were boiled sweets. You learn something new every day. Still don't know what tim tams are though

Tracey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.