Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Aussie things you can't get in the UK

I was thinking about things I would miss about Oz if for some bizarre reason I moved back to the UK.

One major thing is the smell of eucalyptus, I love being out for a walk and breathing it in.

Lammingtons
strawberry lemonade flavour cordial
geckos
koalas
kangaroos
the sunny weather
squirms
nice barbecue sauce, UK version not the same

anyone else anything they would miss
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:24 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I was thinking about things I would miss about Oz if for some bizarre reason I moved back to the UK.

One major thing is the smell of eucalyptus, I love being out for a walk and breathing it in.

Lammingtons
geckos
koalas
kangaroos
the sunny weather
squirms

Euphoria of a winning sports team

(sorry - currently watching yet another English batting collapse )

R
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Euphoria of a winning sports team

(sorry - currently watching yet another English batting collapse )

R
LOL It is great being able to support a team that wins
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:28 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

LOL It is great being able to support a team that wins
Alas I don't support the aussies so all it does do is p**s me off!!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Alas I don't support the aussies so all it does do is p**s me off!!
lol your loyalty is admirable I turned colours asap like the turncoat I am for the reason given above, it is great to win .

Katie
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:37 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

lol your loyalty is admirable I turned colours asap like the turncoat I am for the reason given above, it is great to win .

Katie
Another bloody traitor
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

I love the fact you dont have to do your laundry in the kitchen, steppng over it all whilst trying to cook the dinner!.
Hoorah for laundry rooms!!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I love the fact you dont have to do your laundry in the kitchen, steppng over it all whilst trying to cook the dinner!.
Hoorah for laundry rooms!!
That is a good one. I had not thought of that I love my laundry. I know that in the UK some lucky folks have utility rooms but it is law here no washing in the kitchen. LOL the UK is soooo unhygienic
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

And dont forget the good old "rumpus" room. Such a pleasure to be able to live like a slob in one room and keep the other for "best" LOL
Old Aug 6th 2005, 3:37 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Cool Re: Aussie things you can't get in the UK

Lammingtons
geckos
koalas
kangaroos
the sunny weather
squirms

I'm an Aussie in UK at the moment and some of the things I miss most (aside from my Mum and my mates, of course ) include:
  • good meat generally and choice of cuts, but especially a *decent* steak;
  • fryable bacon - not like the stuff here which is pumped full of water;
  • the great selection of diced and stir fry strips of meat - lamb, beef, chicken, pork - all readily available in any butcher's shop or supermarket either as plain meat or pre-marinated in different sauces;
  • pumpkin;
  • TimTams (it had to be said!!);
  • verandahs and open air living (sunshine too, of course!);
  • yes, laundries is a good one!
  • living space in general - houses in Aus seem to be a lot larger for the money spent either buying or renting;
  • a proper shower - not one over a bath, or one of the cramped cubicles I've seen here;
  • a backyard swimming pool (yeah, I know, it wouldn't be worth it here - too damned cold!!);
  • not having to 'rug up' when going outside - I now appreciate the freedom I had from coats and jumpers!
  • traffic lights facing you on BOTH sides of the intersection (so that if you're first at the lights you don't have to crane your neck to see them) and which only go amber when you have to stop;
  • cheap Aussie wine, e.g. cleanskins;
  • Minties - it's moments like these you need them!
Things I appreciate in UK which I haven't seen (at least, readily available) in Aus:
  • instant gravies and sauces a la Bisto style;
  • better selection of sausages;
  • better selection of potatoes;
  • better selection of cider and beer;
  • pretty little cottages and pubs with loads of flowering hanging baskets outside - they make me smile!

There's more of both, I'm sure, but I'm running out of time before work. :scared:

Old Aug 6th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Lammingtons
geckos
koalas
kangaroos
the sunny weather
squirms

We aren't in Oz yet - bu we are hoping to be. Been meaning to ask this for ages - what ARE LAMMINGTONS?

steve
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
We aren't in Oz yet - bu we are hoping to be. Been meaning to ask this for ages - what ARE LAMMINGTONS?

steve

Horrible dry sponge cake cut into cubes and covered with chocolate and desicated coconut
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

steve
They are sponge fingers, really soft sponge, with a lovely chocolate coating dipped in coconut. The yummy ones are jam filled, the extra yummy ones are jam and cream filled. The ones I have had are from Coles, well worth checking out when you get here.

Maybe Flutterscutter has been buying them from the wrong place
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

They are sponge fingers, really soft sponge, with a lovely chocolate coating dipped in coconut. The yummy ones are jam filled, the extra yummy ones are jam and cream filled. The ones I have had are from Coles, well worth checking out when you get here.

Maybe Flutterscutter has been buying them from the wrong place

I must have been Katie. Only tried them twice and both time were nasty!!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ProofReader

I'm an Aussie in UK at the moment and some of the things I miss most (aside from my Mum and my mates, of course ) include:
  • good meat generally and choice of cuts, but especially a *decent* steak;
  • fryable bacon - not like the stuff here which is pumped full of water;
  • the great selection of diced and stir fry strips of meat - lamb, beef, chicken, pork - all readily available in any butcher's shop or supermarket either as plain meat or pre-marinated in different sauces;
  • pumpkin;
  • TimTams (it had to be said!!);
  • verandahs and open air living (sunshine too, of course!);
  • yes, laundries is a good one!
  • living space in general - houses in Aus seem to be a lot larger for the money spent either buying or renting;
  • a proper shower - not one over a bath, or one of the cramped cubicles I've seen here;
  • a backyard swimming pool (yeah, I know, it wouldn't be worth it here - too damned cold!!);
  • not having to 'rug up' when going outside - I now appreciate the freedom I had from coats and jumpers!
  • traffic lights facing you on BOTH sides of the intersection (so that if you're first at the lights you don't have to crane your neck to see them) and which only go amber when you have to stop;
  • cheap Aussie wine, e.g. cleanskins;
  • Minties - it's moments like these you need them!
Things I appreciate in UK which I haven't seen (at least, readily available) in Aus:
  • instant gravies and sauces a la Bisto style;
  • better selection of sausages;
  • better selection of potatoes;
  • better selection of cider and beer;
  • pretty little cottages and pubs with loads of flowering hanging baskets outside - they make me smile!

There's more of both, I'm sure, but I'm running out of time before work. :scared:

That is a great list. Definately a lot of stuff that I love about Oz. I am happy to say though you can buy Tim Tams in the UK now in some supermarkets. I think both Tesco and Sainsburys stock them, though probably not all the flavours you can get here.

Flutterscutter try the Lammingtons from the fridge section in Coles, they have jam and cream filed ones. Maybe you will be converted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.