Aussie Plugs

Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

jannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Aussie Plugs

Is it me or do the plugs here annoy you? I find that they are all different sizes and more often than not, you can't put two plugs into a dual socket cos they don't fit cos no two plugs are the same. Just a trivial point but wondered if anyone else felt the same?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Plugs

Originally Posted by jannyb
Is it me or do the plugs here annoy you? I find that they are all different sizes and more often than not, you can't put two plugs into a dual socket cos they don't fit cos no two plugs are the same. Just a trivial point but wondered if anyone else felt the same?
It's you.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just you!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Could do with a hybrid of the two.

Uniformity of the Uk with the size of Aus.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lost count of how many times I have stood on one and bent the prongs, they are so thin and weak.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:30 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The bendy gay prongs piss me off. Always having to push them back into shape. Nowhere near as good as the stiff upper lipped Great British plug for sockets found across the empire
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:01 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The key failing seems to be that the cable ends up coming straight out, perpendicular to the socket. In contrast the UK plugs route the cable flush with the wall. That, and that 10Amps isn't as handy as 13 when it comes to higher power requirements.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I have lost count of how many times I have stood on one and bent the prongs, they are so thin and weak.
When you stood on the U.K ones did they pierce your foot?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, have a long-standing penchant for standing on electrical plugs and have found the experience to be entirely unsatisfactory in Oz.

Some of them even only have 2 prongs! What kind of country is this?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I avoided UK plugs as they were robust strong units not to be messed with.

Originally Posted by cresta57
When you stood on the U.K ones did they pierce your foot?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:29 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Australian plugs to me typify the Australian "thing" - which is to take another country's product, then "improve" it. Usually changing it from good to dreadful. But, at least, "Aussie".

There are so many things wrong with the plugs it's amazing that even the Aussies have accepted them. The ones you buy retail are so flimsy they almost fall apart as you pull on them. The ones that are sold integral with an appliance are so badly designed with the bit you pull on so small it's impossible to grip - and so weak that after a few months it begins to part company. The way the fit-yourself plugs have the wire coming out at an angle means they interfere with transformers alongside. The prongs on all are very bendable - and they do. The angled layout of the prongs is presumably meant to ensure good contact but makes them difficult to locate correctly in unsighted positions. Outdoor sockets have the holes hidden and tilted and this makes it a process of trial and error trying to plug in.

And the average circuit is only 10A - just small enough to be a hindrance in some cases.

Aussie plugs: a disaster!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:50 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I avoided UK plugs as they were robust strong units not to be messed with.
So you've adapted well then, dumbed down for Australia so to speak?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. They're rubbish. Houses the size of aircraft hangers, fitted with sockets that wouldn't look out of place in a dolls house.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's you.
No it's not.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:01 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Australian plugs to me typify the Australian "thing" - which is to take another country's product, then "improve" it. Usually changing it from good to dreadful. But, at least, "Aussie".

There are so many things wrong with the plugs it's amazing that even the Aussies have accepted them. The ones you buy retail are so flimsy they almost fall apart as you pull on them. The ones that are sold integral with an appliance are so badly designed with the bit you pull on so small it's impossible to grip - and so weak that after a few months it begins to part company. The way the fit-yourself plugs have the wire coming out at an angle means they interfere with transformers alongside. The prongs on all are very bendable - and they do. The angled layout of the prongs is presumably meant to ensure good contact but makes them difficult to locate correctly in unsighted positions. Outdoor sockets have the holes hidden and tilted and this makes it a process of trial and error trying to plug in.

And the average circuit is only 10A - just small enough to be a hindrance in some cases.

Aussie plugs: a disaster!
They also have no fuse. I know that with RCD's there is less of a risk, but I am sure there are houses in OZ without them.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I have changed over 100 plugs to Ozzie ones and although they're not great, they do work ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.