Aussie drivers

Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:04 am
Banned

garys will become famous soon enoughgarys will become famous soon enough
Default Aussie drivers

Been over here for 3 months now and love the place. However Aussies must be the rudest/discourteous drivers on the planet. The majority will refuse to slow down to let you in even when giving plenty of notice. Again most will refuse to stop to allow you out of a junction even when the traffic is crawling and most annoyingly if you let them in they simply refuse to acknowledge the favour. A minor gripe but hey have some manners on the roads folks.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie drivers

Well you will have touched a nerve with a few on here They are the worst drivers I have ever encountered although amazingly a few on here will try to tell you they are in fact better than British drivers
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I am an Aussie driver (as I learnt to drive here) and I always let people out. I always wave thanks when someone lets me in too (which happens a lot - to me anyway).
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garys
Been over here for 3 months now and love the place. However Aussies must be the rudest/discourteous drivers on the planet. The majority will refuse to slow down to let you in even when giving plenty of notice. Again most will refuse to stop to allow you out of a junction even when the traffic is crawling and most annoyingly if you let them in they simply refuse to acknowledge the favour. A minor gripe but hey have some manners on the roads folks.
Driving is the single thing I dislike about living here.

It probably gets better in other places around Oz but here driving is a chore and a constant source of annoyance.

The thing is, most of the hassle is avoidable with a bit of patience, respect and common sense.

3 months eh? I've been here nearly 7 years and it still winds me up.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I can beat that, been here since 1962 on and off and it still annoys the hell out of me.

[/I]
Originally Posted by DeadVim

3 months eh? I've been here nearly 7 years and it still winds me up.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that something like 75% of cars here are automatic which means people dont actually drive, rather point the car roughly in the direction they want to go and proceed completely oblivious to anything going on around them.

In the Uk the proportion is the other way round. With a manual car you at least have to pay some attention and be a little bit more aware.

In Qld at least the authorities really don't care how you drive as long as you are under the speed and alchohol limit. If they did care then driver training would be far more stringent. There would also be some sort of MOT test

Another thing is 4 litre standard car and 200 horsepower with rear wheel drive and 18yr old driver is not really a happy mix.

Last edited by neil248; Dec 14th 2011 at 6:37 am.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:32 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

On balance I would say the NZ drivers are more aggressive than in OZ - they really do have small dick big car syndrome.

Scariest thing in OZ are the Roadtrains - coming across from Alice, you are doing 140k on a cart track, and there is a behemoth coming towards you, at 140k. You have no option but to go onto the gravel at the side of the road. A sphincter tightening experience - perhaps they should offer it as a service to prolapse sufferers.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:34 am
Banned

Barry Sheene actually referred to Aussie drivers as the worst in the world.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:37 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an absolutely shite driver as I have the concentration span of a newt so I love driving here. I just jump in my automatic landrover and point - like a cruise missile. I think there's only Oz and Egypt where my driving would be acceptable.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:38 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I haven't had any problems with drivers in Australia, in either of the places I've lived.

Yes, sometimes they tailgate, but no more than I've experienced elsewhere.

I don't think I've ever had a problem merging, in fact I've commented on how easy it is to merge here as most people I've come across really seem to understand that merging one on one is painless and efficient. I also get acknowledged when I am courteous.

I fully appreciate that my experience is not the same for everyone and that I live in a parallel universe
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
He lived here on the Gold Coast at one point so was probably right
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy
To be honest, I haven't had any problems with drivers in Australia, in either of the places I've lived.

Yes, sometimes they tailgate, but no more than I've experienced elsewhere.

I don't think I've ever had a problem merging, in fact I've commented on how easy it is to merge here as most people I've come across really seem to understand that merging one on one is painless and efficient. I also get acknowledged when I am courteous.

I fully appreciate that my experience is not the same for everyone and that I live in a parallel universe
The rest of us are talking about driving.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by neil248
He lived here on the Gold Coast at one point so was probably right
I think he moved to the Gold Coast because his numerous steel pins were going rusty in the UK.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by chris955
Wayne Gardener certainly crashed quite a bit!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garys
On driving standards I don't see much difference to the UK, but UK drivers are definitely more courteous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.