Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Dream Over??

Aussie Dream Over??

Old Dec 15th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Dream Over??

Originally Posted by the troubadour
There are levels of materialism and the some see it as becoming a bit of a problem when the creed of consumption becomes the focus of a society a religion of sorts if you like..which in itself is totally unfulfilling in that most needs will never be met...advertisers are the real deal these days in getting people to think they need more..and not to say just plain wasteful.
Australia is high up the stakes indeed of material consumption together with USA,a little odd your perceptions are that the UK is more materialistic..find the opposite to be true..although thanks to events back in the eighties the UKs level of materialism did take off to a large extent.
I see no difference really, between UK and Australia. Perhaps there is a market for particular things in Australia. ie. Outdoor entertainment 'settings', pergolas, sheds, dirt bikes, boats etc etc...reflects the good old Aussie lifestyle.

But the fact so many Brits are obsessed with shops and pricing suggests to me that materialism is alive and well in both places.

For me, spending money on 'stuff' is a means to an end, an investment, or an attempt to gain an efficiency somewhere, but ultimately the purpose of advancement somewhere. Agreed that greed is bad news, as is pointless and mindless consumerism. Capitalism will win though.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:14 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Rather an odd statement to say the very least to state the world would end up like P.D.R.Korea. If people returned to the levels of consumption of past times in fact we would be a healther and not to say far happier planet.
Just consider the cost people put themselves through in the search for continued material gain? Most things are not made locally at home anymore,anywhere.
So many folk enslave themselves on the tread mill unable to stop falling victims to the spin to purchase newer,better, cooler of whatever item they are trying to flog,from autos to white goods and technology to houses.
Could not life have a little more meaning?
Great Post. Karma given
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:16 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I see no difference really, between UK and Australia. Perhaps there is a market for particular things in Australia. ie. Outdoor entertainment 'settings', pergolas, sheds, dirt bikes, boats etc etc...reflects the good old Aussie lifestyle.

But the fact so many Brits are obsessed with shops and pricing suggests to me that materialism is alive and well in both places.

For me, spending money on 'stuff' is a means to an end, an investment, or an attempt to gain an efficiency somewhere, but ultimately the purpose of advancement somewhere. Agreed that greed is bad news, as is pointless and mindless consumerism. Capitalism will win though.
Some good posts. Karma given. Disagree that capitalism will last the distance without some heavy duty modification.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:07 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Capitalism may be peaking here. 2 car families, holiday homes, 3 TVs. How much can you buy?

It’s just starting in places like Asia. They move will consume the efforts and resources of the entire world for about 20 years.

A friend of mine is a secretary in BKK. Twenty years ago she would have walked. Ten years ago she would have a motor scooter. Last year she bought a car. When Thai secretaries buy cars capitalism is advancing.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Clearly you haven't spent a great deal of time there. I have. There are some (North island Maori) towns that have scant electricity and the homes have mud floors. Even my apparently well-off in-laws had no heating at all in their wooden home and an outside toilet.

It has no motorway network and no rail network to speak of. The only link between the second largest city in NZ (Christchurch) and it's nearest urban neighbour (Dunedin) is a single-lane-each-way road. You can't take a train, because there aren't any.

Many third world countries (eg India) have better transport infrastructures than that.

Buzzy
Clearly you're cherry picking the bad aspects of a country. This stuff NEVER happens in remote communities in rural Australia because Australia is first world!!!1111

And wow; you're comparing a country with over a BILLION people to a city of 370k with a road to a place 360km away with a population of 120k.

Open your eyes.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
It’s just starting in places like Asia. They move will consume the efforts and resources of the entire world for about 20 years.
An interesting side effect of that is just how many fatties you now see in Thailand. 15 years ago fast food outlets were a rarity outside of Bangkok, even in Bangkok they existed purely for foreigners really.

Now there are malls in every town, filled with dozens of fast-food outlets, 7-11's etc, and there really is a noticeable proportion of fat people now, especially kids.

As for the car? Well I really don't know where they cram them all in.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

I found the Aussie Dream to be a complete nightmare.
Australia is overrated and far too far away from the civilised world, yes it has a hot climate and some decent beaches, but thats where it all ends.
If you can stand listening to Australians and Australian media going on and on about how wonderful they THINK they are then yes Australia is for you.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Aussie Dream Over??

Originally Posted by MDawson
I found the Aussie Dream to be a complete nightmare.
Australia is overrated and far too far away from the civilised world, yes it has a hot climate and some decent beaches, but thats where it all ends.
If you can stand listening to Australians and Australian media going on and on about how wonderful they THINK they are then yes Australia is for you.
This is absolutely true, that's why nobody ever goes to Australia.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of poor English people stuck there , they cant afford to return.
It's all a big con.

I found that out after nine long years....
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:10 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
An interesting side effect of that is just how many fatties you now see in Thailand. 15 years ago fast food outlets were a rarity outside of Bangkok, even in Bangkok they existed purely for foreigners really.

Now there are malls in every town, filled with dozens of fast-food outlets, 7-11's etc, and there really is a noticeable proportion of fat people now, especially kids.

As for the car? Well I really don't know where they cram them all in.
You are spot on SR71! The secretary in question is very overweight! Nice kid, cute face, but packing on the pounds.
BKK traffic just gets worse.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:14 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Lots of poor English people stuck there , they cant afford to return.
It's all a big con.

I found that out after nine long years....
The cost of a one way airfare to the UK isn’t that bad. I doubt many people struggle to afford it.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Australia is always begging for migrants , you should see the ads on late night TV in the UK.

It's all a sales pitch along the lines of timeshare holidays , accept it can end up a permanent hell on earth....the only ones who benifit are the Australian government and the people of Australia , difference is the people of Australia don't like English migrants .....it's a history thing , they have a big chip on their shoulder about things that have long gone ....
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is always begging for migrants , you should see the ads on late night TV in the UK.

difference is the people of Australia don't like English migrants .....it's a history thing , they have a big chip on their shoulder about things that have long gone ....
Only the failed feel like that.

FAIL
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:48 pm
Not allowed opinions.

It's all a sales pitch along the lines of timeshare holidays , accept it can end up a permanent hell on earth....the only ones who benifit are the Australian government and the people of Australia , difference is the people of Australia don't like English migrants .....it's a history thing , they have a big chip on their shoulder about things that have long gone ....
Do they really advertise on TV?

Given some of the comments here, I think migration from the UK should be totally stopped. There is obviously something seriously wrong when so many people complain.

(I am being serious here)

Australia could make up the shortfall by offering visas to Asians, many of whom are absolutely desperate to get out of countries with no free medical system, no unemployment benefits, poor quality of life and no chance of improvement.

I think many of the Australians who don’t like the English are actual descended from the Irish, who (you may recall have an issue with the English). Certainly Catholicism is strong in many areas, ie government. I remember being taken to the Catholic club for lunch when I was bidding for a large NSW government contract many years ago. I joked that as a good Protestant boy I shouldn’t be allowed in here. One of guys said “don’t say that, if they realise you will never get any more work from us”. I never did get the contract, and never got any more orders out of that department.

Do you find Derbyshire any better?

I’m a Derbyshire boy, and found it class riddled, insular and highly elitist. If your family were not 4 generations Derbyshire born then you were and outsider.

The place was also full of Halls, they are everywhere. Most are now owned by jumped up businessmen and tradies who made good. They liked to act like lords of the manor.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

accept it can end up a permanent hell on earth
Or a permanent heaven on earth.

Emigration is not for everybody but for some it most definitely is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.