Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Dream Over??

Aussie Dream Over??

Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Dream Over??

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Do they really advertise on TV?

Given some of the comments here, I think migration from the UK should be totally stopped. There is obviously something seriously wrong when so many people complain.

(I am being serious here)

Australia could make up the shortfall by offering visas to Asians, many of whom are absolutely desperate to get out of countries with no free medical system, no unemployment benefits, poor quality of life and no chance of improvement.

I think many of the Australians who don’t like the English are actual descended from the Irish, who (you may recall have an issue with the English). Certainly Catholicism is strong in many areas, ie government. I remember being taken to the Catholic club for lunch when I was bidding for a large NSW government contract many years ago. I joked that as a good Protestant boy I shouldn’t be allowed in here. One of guys said “don’t say that, if they realise you will never get any more work from us”. I never did get the contract, and never got any more orders out of that department.

Do you find Derbyshire any better?

I’m a Derbyshire boy, and found it class riddled, insular and highly elitist. If your family were not 4 generations Derbyshire born then you were and outsider.

The place was also full of Halls, they are everywhere. Most are now owned by jumped up businessmen and tradies who made good. They liked to act like lords of the manor.
I'd go as far to say, that apart from the US, Aus is probably the most welcoming country to the English. I'm including Scotland, Wales and Ireland as having more of an attitude to the English than Aussies.

If the Americans had the same ratio of English there would probably be as many Irish Descended people there, kicking up at times.

A total misrepresentation of what actually happens, hence my Fail Comment to MDawsons post.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Yes they do put ads on TV late at night selling Australia to the British.

I have nothing against the Irish , I'm tired of history getting in the way of present day ...why do people have these big chips on their shoulders about things long gone, or things that should be forgotten.

Sounds like you don't like English people either , suppose thats your choice,
I can't be bothered with all that, quite happy now in Derbyshire , it's not perfect but at least I feel equal to everyone else.

Glad I'm far awy from all that bigoted stuff.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDawson

I have nothing against the Irish , I'm tired of history getting in the way of present day ...why do people have these big chips on their shoulders about things long gone, or things that should be forgotten.

I can't be bothered with all that, quite happy now in Derbyshire , it's not perfect but at least I feel equal to everyone else.

Tip:
When you reply, quote the post that you are replying to so that we can follow the conversation.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your the one with the chip on the shoulder to me.

How comes I dont find these English hating Aussies ? I've hardly ever had a problem in my 30 years here.... comes down to attitude and thats a fact.

Thats a pretty massive insult and generalisation you've come up with there.... almost bordering on xenophobia.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kstar72
Yeah sounds just like a moaning pom to me

Standard repetitive Australian comment !
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:16 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

No I am English, and damn proud of it.

So was my father, and he spent a lot of his life overseas too. Mainly in countries hotter than this, for far less pay, and getting shot at to boot. Oh and they made him wear clothes to identify him clearly, so the ones shooting at him would know who to shoot at.

Sometimes I read the comments here and I wonder what happened. Really Dawson, go take a look at:

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/main/index1.html

Go read the stories from Aden, Radfan, Borneo, Malaya and the Omen. Bloody hot – hotter than WA. Bloody isolated – no Corrie, no Eastenders. No bloody TV!. Sand, dust and humidity like you will never find in Australia.
And the poor buggers got shot at!!!! And this, mark you, all in my lifetime.

And half of them were conscripted.

But given the heat, the dust, the isolation, and the fact that people were trying to kill them, these lads never worried about having to give up their Englishness.

My honest opinion is that the UK has bread a generation of softies. This isn’t an insult to you Dawson, it’s a generalisation based upon the complaints I read about on this site. Its always the younger ones who have a complaint.

Those lads buried in Silent Valley in Aden would turn over in their graves….
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:10 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The cost of a one way airfare to the UK isn’t that bad. I doubt many people struggle to afford it.
To be fair there's additional costs that come way over the price of an airfare to UK. Like shipping container, setting up new rental property, money to survive on (food, housing, utilities, transport, school fees/uniforms etc),till work is found or benefits eligibility kicks in.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:26 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
To be fair there's additional costs that come way over the price of an airfare to UK. Like shipping container, setting up new rental property, money to survive on (food, housing, utilities, transport, school fees/uniforms etc),till work is found or benefits eligibility kicks in.
Yes, I agree, however I have a sneaking suspicion that the reasons are actually two fold:

1. To avoid loss of face, the retuning migrant wants to come home bearing a pot of gold. Magwitch returns. Coming home with your tail between your legs and saying “those Aussies were rude to me” doesn’t buy street credibility back in your local. “Made a fortune so I came home” sounds much better.
2. Times move on when you migrate, and you may not be able to afford the house you sold when you left. Or maybe you decide that you really do need a four bedroom house like you had in Oz. You may have lived in a two up two down before you migrated, but now you are used to something better. And selling the new car you just bought and taking a loss on it. You will only afford a second hand one back in the UK. Etc

What I tend to find is that many people want a bit of both. They want the Australian lifestyle, but transported into the backstreets of Manchester. Fish and chips, darts at the local, Man U on Saturdays, Rottnest Island on Sundays. That’s why they tend to stay, but complain. I know a lot of people who have returned to the UK, then come back again.

I know other idiots who, rather than return to the UK empty handed, have gone back via Asia to make a quick quid as a drug courier. Some made it safely. Others didn’t.

If you are desperate to go back money doesn’t matter. If it does matter then you are not that desperate.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:26 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie Dream Over??

Let's hope so. This "I'm off to Australia cos life there is perfect'' crap is getting boring.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:31 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Standard repetitive Australian comment !
It always fascinates me that if an Aussie goes to the UK and moans about the cold, or the rent, that's fine.

If a Brit comes to Australia and moans about anything at all, however correctly, he or she is a ''whinging pom''.

The Aussies are like the school bully.

They can dish it out but they are not too good at taking it.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
If a Brit comes to Australia and moans about anything at all, however correctly, he or she is a ''whinging pom''.
There is no difference between the two - it's just a simple fact that for historical reasons migration in the UK > Aus direction has been much greater.

For every set of "whinging poms" there is proportionally the same number of Aussies in the UK whinging about life in general and receiving regular aid drops of Aussie food & products - the kind of behaviour some people seem to see as being uniquely a British trait. I knew loads of Aussies spending their 2 years in the UK and while they seemed to be having a great time they loved a good whinge about the weather (as people say here, didn't they know before they came!?), the cost of living etc etc. Funnily enough though, most of them 'stuck it out' the full 2 years - and not to earn money to bring home, that was all p!ssed up the wall, many ended up staying longer.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
There is no difference between the two - it's just a simple fact that for historical reasons migration in the UK > Aus direction has been much greater.

For every set of "whinging poms" there is proportionally the same number of Aussies in the UK whinging about life in general and receiving regular aid drops of Aussie food & products - the kind of behaviour some people seem to see as being uniquely a British trait. I knew loads of Aussies spending their 2 years in the UK and while they seemed to be having a great time they loved a good whinge about the weather (as people say here, didn't they know before they came!?), the cost of living etc etc. Funnily enough though, most of them 'stuck it out' the full 2 years - and not to earn money to bring home, that was all p!ssed up the wall, many ended up staying longer.
Wasn't talking about migration. Simple holiday visits is enough. My brother-in-law is travelling around UK and Europe at present. He moans about the cold. I am saying that if a Brit comes to Australia (to live or visit - it's irrelevant) and finds fault with ANYTHING he is a ''whinging pom''.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:18 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
It always fascinates me that if an Aussie goes to the UK and moans about the cold, or the rent, that's fine.

The Aussies are like the school bully.

They can dish it out but they are not too good at taking it.
Have to agree. I recall being in a pub in Perth and these two Aussie guys taking the piss outta me cos I was a Kiwi. Went on for what seemed ages. Finally I lost my cool and spat TWO jokes about Aussies back at 'em. The loudest mouth went red as a beet and looked like he wanted to sock me one, while his mate looked like he was about to cry. Woulda believe it?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
An interesting side effect of that is just how many fatties you now see in Thailand. 15 years ago fast food outlets were a rarity outside of Bangkok, even in Bangkok they existed purely for foreigners really.

Now there are malls in every town, filled with dozens of fast-food outlets, 7-11's etc, and there really is a noticeable proportion of fat people now, especially kids.

As for the car? Well I really don't know where they cram them all in.
Also expect a Bangkok person to walk more than the shortest of distances..females especially,it's gotta be by taxi..
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:53 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Also expect a Bangkok person to walk more than the shortest of distances..females especially,it's gotta be by taxi..
Interesting that you mention that, its becoming more and more noticeable, and not only in BKK. I wonder if its something to do with a refusal to do anything that might imply peasant origins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.