Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

argos equivalant

argos equivalant

Old May 4th 2009, 1:06 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: argos equivalant

Originally Posted by dave99
Argos here is Ikea, its cheap and cheerful stuff. Theres a massive new store that will have everything you need at osborn park
Back in the UK we never went to ikea as it was always to expensive but its totally opposite here, like many things.
What are you on ?

Ikea here in Perth is the same as Ikea in the UK and therefore is nothing like Argos . Also price wise Ikea here is cheap and cheerful, just like Ikea in the UK or anywhere in the world.

In WA there is no equivalent to Argos.

For electrical stuff try The Good Guys, Rick Hart or Harvey Norman.

Last edited by BAY; May 4th 2009 at 1:08 am.
Old May 4th 2009, 1:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Thank God there is no Argos here. What a terrible way to shop. Why can't they just have the stuff on the shelf like everyone else?

I went in one once to buy a sleeping bag, when it eventually came out, I told the woman behind the desk that if I had to wait any longer I might have needed to use it.

I don't think she saw the funny side.

Oz is a place were the supermarkets still pack your bags for you, we don't want Agros thanks very much!
I don't buy much at Argos these days because their prices don't seem as competetive as they used to be - I nearly always find somewhere else where the product is cheaper. On the occasions that they are the cheapest, to save the queueing I buy the product and then do the other shopping before returning later to collect.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You can easily compare the prices on the UK and Aus websites......and yes, the Aus store does generally seem more expensive, in some cases a lot more.
I dislike Ikea. For my wife and I to get there we have to travel to Wembley (unless they've opened one closer to us recently). And whenever we do, we end up disillusioned that having fought our way through the traffic it's just overpriced trendy trash (which in a few years time will look so crass - necessitating another visit ). We then resolve never again to waste our time there, only to forget about it after a few years and repeat the process.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I dislike Ikea. For my wife and I to get there we have to travel to Wembley (unless they've opened one closer to us recently). And whenever we do, we end up disillusioned that having fought our way through the traffic it's just overpriced trendy trash (which in a few years time will look so crass - necessitating another visit ). We then resolve never again to waste our time there, only to forget about it after a few years and repeat the process.
Well there are 2 sides to IKEA.....there is decent stuff, and it's priced accordingly.....and then there is the quirky, cheap tat. As usual it's a case of you get what you pay for.

I wonder if there is a home left in the UK that doesn't have one of these!?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50139877

Incidentally £3.59 in the UK, $24.95 in Aus.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well there are 2 sides to IKEA.....there is decent stuff, and it's priced accordingly.....and then there is the quirky, cheap tat. As usual it's a case of you get what you pay for.

I wonder if there is a home left in the UK that doesn't have one of these!?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50139877

Incidentally £3.59 in the UK, $24.95 in Aus.
We're still using it

We got ours years ago using the "loyalty cards" from Benson and Hedges.

They're good things, gentle on the eyes. The only problems we have with it is when a moth drops by for a barbeque.

Last edited by paulry; May 4th 2009 at 2:20 am.
Old May 4th 2009, 4:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
I hated Ikea in Wembley and the one south of Croydon. The one in Lakeside is easy to use.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I hated Ikea in Wembley and the one south of Croydon. The one in Lakeside is easy to use.
The Wembley Ikea is like a walk through an old fairground funhouse - but without the fun It's always very jammed with traffic around there too.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

The shops that will sell the most stuff similar to Argos in Perth is going to be Big W, K Mart and Target. They have all 3 of the stores at Joondalup which is 10 minutes from Tapping. They sell electrical things like kettles and toasters, bedding, duvets, clothes, lighting etc. They also sell toys, dvds, cameras etc.

You have to shop around between the 3 stores as the prices vary from one week to the next, they also have offers on every week running from Thursday to Wednesday.

If you take a look at their websites you can see what is going to be on offer this week.

www.kmart.com.au
www.bigw.com.au
www.targetaustralia.com.au

Sarah
Old May 6th 2009, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Never did Wembley but did Croydon. The journey at times as a nightmare and shocking areas as well. But the best thing was it opened to midnight most nights - so a Friday evening, kids in bed, I'd go and buy the stuff we needed (like bookshelves etc) and get there at 10pm, shop and leave and have no traffic, no queues etc. Best thing about Croydon!

Tis funny being here and seeing exactly the same items, same names and everything. Not that there is any reason to change it, but it shows the globalisation - which is not always a bad thing...
Old May 6th 2009, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Thank God there is no Argos here. What a terrible way to shop. Why can't they just have the stuff on the shelf like everyone else?

I went in one once to buy a sleeping bag, when it eventually came out, I told the woman behind the desk that if I had to wait any longer I might have needed to use it.

I don't think she saw the funny side.

Oz is a place were the supermarkets still pack your bags for you, we don't want Agros thanks very much!
Oh but how can you say that about Argos with its laminated book of dreams (laminated to catch the tears of joy for the things you could have) and insult the guardians of the treasure standing behind the counter of promise...
(Sorry Bill Bailey)
Old May 6th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by leftfield
WTF??? Ikea is about the same price if not more expensive in Perth than it was in Brsitol..
would agree i paid three pound for a lamp in uk ikea same one over here is $39 id say ikea very expensive over here
Old May 7th 2009, 6:16 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mickpower75
Hi all we are moving to tapping area of Perth.
Is there any shops like Argos were we can get our electrical things like kettle,toasters,etc.If so can you please advise what it is called and were it is.
Would it be better for us to buy all new stuff here in Uk and get it replugged when we arrive.

please advise as we are getting quotes for the container .

Mick
I loved Argos, not the wait for Aisle B that everyone else was always collecting their goods at too, but I loved the catalogue and reserving on line and the stock checks