Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

Originally Posted by Me and my Boys
Hi,

My boys have only been going to Port Kennedy Primary for 2 weeks and I am already concerned. Not by the standard of education or the lack of uniform from the waist down -oh no, my concern is hygiene!

One of my son's happened to mention that he had to go to the office to wash his hands as there was no soap in boys toilets, and the other one piped up that they don't have soap in their toilets either.
Thinking they had just maybe forgotten to replace the soap I took my concerns to the office.

Imagine my surprise (and later disgust) when I was advised that no toilet in the whole school has soap. Apparently the kids have been known to mess around with it. The head master also commented that the kids also make a mess with the toilet roll so I suppose I should be thankful that they don't take that off them too!

Now I am loving Australia and have no problems with anything that is done differently here than in the UK, but this is a health issue surely?
It was hammered home to me just how much of a health issue it is when my eldest son got a slight cut on his finger and it got infected. I spent 5 hours last Friday in Rockingham A&E with 3 people looking at the infection and resulting discolouration and swelling. None of them knew what it was. They took a stab in the dark and prescribed the best antibiotics they could and hoped it worked. As it turned out it did. The finger is back to normal now - but it still niggles me how this happened.

They go from playing out - to eating at recess - to the toilet - to eating at lunch and all the while the germs are just building up.
The Head masters solution to this problem??? Buy my son some of that anti-bac gel you rub straight into hands without needing water.
I wonder if he has informed the hundreds of other parents to do the same??????????????

Like I said, I am not just an ex-brit moaning about the differences, I am genuinely concerned and wondered if any other parent knew about this or would care to comment?

Cheers
Sara
HI Sara,

It's just the same at Endeavour. I was horrified to learn that they don't provide soap in the toilets there, but it's the same excuse - the dispensers get ripped out and block soap is either misused or stolen. So they gave up bothering.

A few months ago a friend's daughter had food poisoning. Because the school could have been a potential source, she had to inform the principal, and at the same time she had a good whinge to him about the lack of soap and general poor hygiene. The next day, a tray of soap dispensers and paper towels appeared in the classroom and this was put out each day for the kids to use as necessary. I asked dd the other day how this arrangement was going - she said the tray had been withdrawn - because hardly any kids were using it!!

Can't win, can you? Mine takes the cleansing wipes in her bag and has a bar of soap and towel as well - but they're hardly ever allowed to go to their bags either....

Just don't get me started on the "water in the classroom" policy!!

r12p
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:42 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

At most of the primaries that I go into here in the North West in U.K the children finish earlier to allow them to toilet and wash hands before lunch and there is always soap and water. Sometimes, there is a shortage of paper towels for drying, BUT I have not known a school in this borough NOT having soap to wash with. YUCK!!!:curse:
I understand your concerns about just arriving and I bet you think they will take offence to you siting your concerns, but I am sure other parents feel the same and just like you are hesitating in complaining. Try and attend the next PTA or get on board with a gobby Mum

J x
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids have been in several schools in qld and have never encountered soap, except in one class for the age 4's and that was provided by the parents. With yet another outbreak of the norovirus going around plus the flu, you would think the states could afford soap, yes I know stuff gets vandalised but for heavens sake!

Never ever have they been asked or told to wash hands before meal breaks so they carry packs of hand wipes as I dont really think cold water, no soap or drying facilities is going to kill off much!

At the moment there is also a flu outbreak, yet at the beginning of the year every parent was supposed to supply a box of tissues, yet come flu season tissues nowhere in sight:curse:
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

There was no soap in the loos at the public school my kids attended, luckily they dont attend there anymore!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:35 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Just had another thought - if the school isn`t putting out soap or dispensers because of the kids behaviour, then why isn`t the school addressing that behaviour with the parents? Just a blanket letter to all parents about unacceptable behaviour or even asking that parent provide their kids with the anti-bac wipes because the kids can`t be trusted with soap.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Just had another thought - if the school isn`t putting out soap or dispensers because of the kids behaviour, then why isn`t the school addressing that behaviour with the parents? Just a blanket letter to all parents about unacceptable behaviour or even asking that parent provide their kids with the anti-bac wipes because the kids can`t be trusted with soap.
That's a good point actually. Coz going off what another parent said on this thread it wasn't till she read what I wrote and asked her children that she discovered they don't have soap in their school either.
Maybe too many of us take it for granted that a simple thing like soap be provided - so if a letter was to be sent to each and every parent I'm damn sure they would be as appalled as I was.
I just assumed that all the parents knew and just accepted it. Maybe they don't?????????????
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:39 am
"More wine please...."

Ozz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to all

Hi,

After reading this I checked with my kids and both said that there has never been soap in their toilets...OMG!!
If there is one thing I am strict about it is hygiene !!!
Surely this is something that should be reinforced in schools aswell. I shudder at the thought of my kids going to the loo and then eating their lunch with thier fingers....YAK !!! Makes me want to vom :curse:
Anyhow, I have sent an email to the principal demanding an explanation, and have put forward a couple of suggestions as to how the matter can be resolved. I await with interest. And to the original poster, what a great subject to tackle on BE....hopefully it will spur more parents on into getting in touch with their schools and sorting the matter out
Tilly
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

No soap at Kinross either, Asked daughter and she said there's no soap in the toilets, canteen or art room.

Di
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough

And to the original poster, what a great subject to tackle on BE....hopefully it will spur more parents on into getting in touch with their schools and sorting the matter out

Why Thankyou!

I am thinking of starting another thread not aimed just at Port Kennedy Parents as some of the coments come from parents with kids at other schools who have the same problem.
What d'ya reck?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Sod it - I'm gonna do it!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:54 am
rjs
Forum Regular

rjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant future

Just asked my daughter ,not sure if im more worried that they dont ,or that my daughter didnt know but her friend didThink will be having words with her about her habits