Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

Hi,

My boys have only been going to Port Kennedy Primary for 2 weeks and I am already concerned. Not by the standard of education or the lack of uniform from the waist down -oh no, my concern is hygiene!

One of my son's happened to mention that he had to go to the office to wash his hands as there was no soap in boys toilets, and the other one piped up that they don't have soap in their toilets either.
Thinking they had just maybe forgotten to replace the soap I took my concerns to the office.

Imagine my surprise (and later disgust) when I was advised that no toilet in the whole school has soap. Apparently the kids have been known to mess around with it. The head master also commented that the kids also make a mess with the toilet roll so I suppose I should be thankful that they don't take that off them too!

Now I am loving Australia and have no problems with anything that is done differently here than in the UK, but this is a health issue surely?
It was hammered home to me just how much of a health issue it is when my eldest son got a slight cut on his finger and it got infected. I spent 5 hours last Friday in Rockingham A&E with 3 people looking at the infection and resulting discolouration and swelling. None of them knew what it was. They took a stab in the dark and prescribed the best antibiotics they could and hoped it worked. As it turned out it did. The finger is back to normal now - but it still niggles me how this happened.

They go from playing out - to eating at recess - to the toilet - to eating at lunch and all the while the germs are just building up.
The Head masters solution to this problem??? Buy my son some of that anti-bac gel you rub straight into hands without needing water.
I wonder if he has informed the hundreds of other parents to do the same??????????????

Like I said, I am not just an ex-brit moaning about the differences, I am genuinely concerned and wondered if any other parent knew about this or would care to comment?

Cheers
Sara
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:27 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

That's terrible!
Have you thought about giving your kids the spray hand cleaner to put in their pockets?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone's kids go to Port Kennedy Primary? You might wanna read this then!

I think if it were me, I would make a written complaint to the school principal, along with a copy to the department of education. Outline in the letter what the principal said about not having soap in any of the toilets and the health and hygeine issues you see. Perhaps you could also speak to some of the other parents about it and see if they feel the same. Get a petition going to change things. And in the meantime, like nightnurse said, get your boys some hand sanitiser.
Either way, nothing will change if you don't do something about it.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think if it were me, I would make a written complaint to the school principal, along with a copy to the department of education. Outline in the letter what the principal said about not having soap in any of the toilets and the health and hygeine issues you see. Perhaps you could also speak to some of the other parents about it and see if they feel the same. Get a petition going to change things. And in the meantime, like nightnurse said, get your boys some hand sanitiser.
Either way, nothing will change if you don't do something about it.
Thanks for that and I couldn't agree more, it's also exactly what I would have done had this happened in UK. HOWEVER - having only been here 6 weeks and not sure how other schools are run I wanted to check the 'norm' first. And also gather other parents perspectives on it. The first thing out of the secretary's mouth when I mentioned the problem was (to the headmaster) "she's from the UK and hasn't been here long" which immediately got my back up - but also made me wonder if Australians think that no soap is acceptable. I was wondering if I should contact Education dept. But don't want to rock the boat! But also don't want unhygeinic schooling..........
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Me and my Boys
Thanks for that and I couldn't agree more, it's also exactly what I would have done had this happened in UK. HOWEVER - having only been here 6 weeks and not sure how other schools are run I wanted to check the 'norm' first. And also gather other parents perspectives on it. The first thing out of the secretary's mouth when I mentioned the problem was (to the headmaster) "she's from the UK and hasn't been here long" which immediately got my back up - but also made me wonder if Australians think that no soap is acceptable. I was wondering if I should contact Education dept. But don't want to rock the boat! But also don't want unhygeinic schooling..........
At the school my girls attend their is plenty of soap available. Toilets, in class basically everywhere as they are taught about good hygeine. Not much use but my girls are in kindy and pre-primary.

Lynne
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

They have no soap at my daughters school ! The reason being that the little ones play around with it

Nicky
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
They have no soap at my daughters school ! The reason being that the little ones play around with it

Nicky
Oh dear me. Looks like it's not an isolated incident then.
And I've heard the Aussies reckon they are cleaner than the Brits coz we bath once a week and they shower every day!
A friend of mine, her kids go private school and she said their school ties the foot out of a pair of tights round a pipe and pops soap bar in, then the kids can still lather up the soap but they're not able to chuck it round the room! One solution I suppose
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mick69
At the school my girls attend their is plenty of soap available. Toilets, in class basically everywhere as they are taught about good hygeine. Not much use but my girls are in kindy and pre-primary.

Lynne
You wanna name drop and share with me which school?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

You wanna name drop and share with me which school?
No probs, its Secret Harbour Primary

Lynne
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I've just checked with mine and they have soap from a dispenser - it runs out sometimes though, apparently, which is probably the time that the worms develop.

Worse, I think, is the standard of hygiene in the canteen. I help out once a week and am appalled. They forgot to cook the food the other day so microwaved it all - including chicken burgers !!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ohippy
I've just checked with mine and they have soap from a dispenser - it runs out sometimes though, apparently, which is probably the time that the worms develop.

Worse, I think, is the standard of hygiene in the canteen. I help out once a week and am appalled. They forgot to cook the food the other day so microwaved it all - including chicken burgers !!

OH GOD.....WORMS!!!!!!!!!
I never even thought of that.

And the head asked me what they do in the UK to which I replied 'well for starters health and safety inspectors would have a field day' and he said 'no I mean do they have bars or dispensers?'
I said dispensers and as he had no reason for the school not to have those he asked 'who would pay for the soap and dispensers?'
So it would appear money comes above health! Reminds me of the NHS!

And thankfully my boys have packed lunch!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 5:41 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter goes to Warnbro Primary and they have soap dispensers there, no probs. Perhaps it may be something to bring up at the next P & C meeting??
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
My daughter goes to Warnbro Primary and they have soap dispensers there, no probs. Perhaps it may be something to bring up at the next P & C meeting??

Only if you come with me!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What does it matter how long you have been here? If I found a serious health and safety issue at my child's school, I would bring it to the attention of the relevant people. Whether your kids bring a packed lunch or not is beside the point. If they are not able to wash their hands properly after using the toilets or playing in the playground, then they are covered in some very nasty germs which could potentially make them very sick.
Sometimes you just have to be a little more aggressive than you normally would be and stand up for what you know is the right thing.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Funny enough it wasnt until i read your thread & asked my daughter the question that i found out they had no soap ! She is very into washing her hands & personal hygene, but she says she doesnt use the toilets at school & waits until she gets home !

Think i will put some bacterial wipes in her bag and take this up with the school

Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.