British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-got-anything-bad-say-about-hervey-bay-521831/)

BayWhale Mar 17th 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

I've lived in Hervey Bay for over 20 years and seen it grow from a one horse town to a thriving city, well to me that's how it seems. I'm a country girl at heart and four years ago we moved onto five acres which is just 10 minutes drive to town. I've got the best of both worlds.

Someone said something about all the rain we have had this year so I better say this has been the wetest coolest summer I can remember.

There are lifeguards on the beach at Torquay at the weekends and during school holidays and the water gets quite deep quite quickly in that spot.

Also someone said there is a train from Hervey Bay to Maryborough, I'm afraid there isn't, only wish there was. Originally the railway went from Maryborough to Pialba and then through to the end of the pier at Urangan but it's all gone now including half of the pier. :(

There is a new forum for Hervey Bay that has only been going for a couple of months but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so if anyone want's it just send me a PM.

The photo in my avatar was taken at the end of my street

Lisa_Mick Mar 17th 2008 9:39 pm

Excuse me for asking, but what the hell is a bogan? Not a word I'm familiar with....yet. We are moving to just outside Maryborough in 7 weeks so would like to be prepared for meeting whatever one is.:confused: Do I need to be armed with a rollingpin?:blink:
Lisa

tripawaymars Mar 17th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6071098)
Do you know if Hervey Bay houseprices are lower than those in the Redlands etc area.

When I was looking they were a fair bit cheaper than Redlands Bay.

ray2gill Mar 18th 2008 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6071065)
Can I ask - did you need permission from the government (FIRB) before buying the land. We are going on a 457 visa and believe there are some restrictions about buying property.

You must be very excited about building your own home

Were on a 410 visa, but yes we had to get approval. I just wish we were there to watch it being built but the builder is going to send us lots of pictures and keep us updated.

Cookster Mar 19th 2008 8:50 am

Originally Posted by isle (Post 6071336)
Us to, we want to go as well, we visited in feb last year and fell in love with hb, we are awaiting our case officer but as soon as visa arrives we are going.
travelled from Byron Bay to Airlee Beach and this was the only town that looked good enough to move to.
Cookster lives in hb check out her treads for more info.
isle

Oh, Cookster, thats me!!!

Well we live and love it here. Been here since May and bought a house within the first month, (also 5 min walk to Hoolihans the only Irish bar in town) Agree with some of the points written, but hey, thats what makes up a society, hoons and all.
We have made some smashing friends here already and every weekend is filled.
Have tried many of the restaurants along the esplanade and in town and still have many more to go.
We also bought a boat and have it moored in the marina.
For us the life style we have here would have cost us a small fortune back on the south coast of England, here it is much more afordable.

Would properly have to say the biggest problem here is finding decent work, still looking, kind of, sort of, well actually not really!!!!

Questions? Ask away

Angela

Oh and hello Isle !!!!

ray2gill Mar 19th 2008 3:33 pm

[QUOTE=Cookster;6083119]Oh, Cookster, thats me!!!

Well we live and love it here. Been here since May and bought a house within the first month, (also 5 min walk to Hoolihans the only Irish bar in town) Agree with some of the points written, but hey, thats what makes up a society, hoons and all.
We have made some smashing friends here already and every weekend is filled.
Have tried many of the restaurants along the esplanade and in town and still have many more to go.
We also bought a boat and have it moored in the marina.
For us the life style we have here would have cost us a small fortune back on the south coast of England, here it is much more afordable.

Would properly have to say the biggest problem here is finding decent work, still looking, kind of, sort of, well actually not really!!!!

Questions? Ask away

Angela

Hi Angela,

Glad you are enjoying living in Hervey Bay. We can't wait for July to come.

Would you know where the best place is to look at for having curtains and blinds made. There was one shop we looked at which was very nice but quite expensive.

Many thanks,
Gillian

Cookster Mar 19th 2008 8:41 pm

Morning Gillian,

I know the shop you mean, along Boat Harbour Drive. They quoted me $500 for a pair of pink curtains for my daughters room. Funnily enough decided against them. We took a trip up to Bundy to Spotlight, which i may add is coming to the Bay next year.

Angela

Nattyocean Mar 21st 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 6075140)
Meant to add a question to Safin or any other Hervey Bay dweller if I may - are there any good and bad areas of Hervey Bay? As in, areas that are a bit run down, or particular areas where the "hoons" and "bogans" hang out at night?

Also, by pure coincidence someone started an "Anyone in Maryborough" thread yesterday and that has had a few replies of so it looks like there are even more of us moving to the area!

Hi Mrs Kiwi

I had grown up in Hervey Bay, and can tell you the main areas which are not ideal to live in would be Scarness or Pialba mainly as it is the main shopping area (the latter) and Scarness was low cost housing, low income area. However saying that things have changed here dramatically over the past 5 years and Scarness seems to be changing for the better (slightly).

I am reluctant to say which are the best simply cause when my partner and I go to buy a house we still want to be able to afford it- prices have sky rocketed here in such a short time- very frustrating from a long time locals perspective- however if you wish to know PM me and I will tell!!

Cheers Nattyocean

Cookster Mar 21st 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Nattyocean (Post 6092074)
Hi Mrs Kiwi

I had grown up in Hervey Bay, and can tell you the main areas which are not ideal to live in would be Scarness or Pialba mainly as it is the main shopping area (the latter) and Scarness was low cost housing, low income area. However saying that things have changed here dramatically over the past 5 years and Scarness seems to be changing for the better (slightly).

I am reluctant to say which are the best simply cause when my partner and I go to buy a house we still want to be able to afford it- prices have sky rocketed here in such a short time- very frustrating from a long time locals perspective- however if you wish to know PM me and I will tell!!

Cheers Nattyocean

All suburbs, Pialba, Scarness, Torquay and Urangan all run into one and all have rentals. How you can say that Scarness or Pialba are low cost/ low income areas is unfair as all suburbs have areas which are a little run down.
I have friends that have paid a lot less than I have for a house in Dundowran, whiich is reportidly the up and coming area!! The school is rubbish and full of ferals!!! And that is said from people who live there!!!

It really does depend on what you want. We had ideas of owning a house with a couple of acres before we arrived. Realistically with two kids 14 and 12 we needed to be near schools and the beach, which we have acheived very nicely.
Best thing is to have a good look round once you arrive then decide.

Angela

Mrs Kiwi Mar 22nd 2008 12:01 pm

We will be renting for the first year I would say as we are keeping our house in the UK until we feel settled in Oz and then we will sell it. So we'll have plenty of time to get to know the area before we buy. There are good and bad bits of all areas I'm sure so once I get to know the place I'll be able to suss it out I guess.

Pagani-Rennox Mar 22nd 2008 3:54 pm

Can I ask what Booral is like?

Nattyocean Mar 23rd 2008 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6097251)
Can I ask what Booral is like?

Booral is just out of town, just past the airport. Is a rural-ish area. Alot of people who live there love it. Mosquitoes can be a bit of a problem however if you've got fly screens etc no big issue.

And hey all feedback is offered from a perspective of being a local for about 25 years so have seen alot of changes in the place, no more so than the last 5 years!

So if anyone takes offense to anything submitted- no offense intended!

Cheers Nattyocean

cresta57 Mar 23rd 2008 9:17 am

I'll be up there tomorrow morning with my son for a dive or two on the "Arti" followed by a couple of hours fishing.
If all goes to plan I'll be BBQing a few fish for lunch while our grand daughter plays sand castles with her Mum & grandma. If it doesn't I'll be in Hoolihans Irish Pub win win for me either way;)

Pagani-Rennox Mar 23rd 2008 9:37 am

Sorry, another question. Does Booral have beaches?

cresta57 Mar 23rd 2008 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6099534)
Sorry, another question. Does Booral have beaches?

Not really, if you have google earth & zoom in on Hervey bay you can see the airport then due south half way between the airport & River Heads you'll find Booral, you can see for yourself then.