British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-got-anything-bad-say-about-hervey-bay-521831/)

Safin Apr 10th 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Oh Mrs Kiwi, I so know how you feel. And for me , horrible though it was, it was the right thing to do. Keep in touch and thoughts are with you.

JOJO - I need an update from you ... I assume audrey is the friend you mentioned, are you seeing the other woman too? Have a good trip. When are you back?

Def arrange girls night for when Mrs Kiwi is back and I am up for girls weekend and family camping in May

ray2gill Apr 11th 2010 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 8485627)
I have had some sad family news and am going back to the UK tomorrow for 2 weeks, an uncle I am very close to has just been told he has 6 weeks to live, completely out of the blue. It is shocking news and I feel it is the right thing to do to be there. He walked me down the aisle when I got married cos I'm not close to my dad.
Anyway, I would love to see everyone when I get back, so a girls night would be fab. XX

Sorry to hear your sad news Mrs Kiwi.

I wish you trouble free travelling at this unhappy time. Thinking of you.
See you when you get back.

G.

Cookster Apr 11th 2010 11:49 am

Kelly, Steve and my thoughts are wilth you lovey xxxx
Just an idea for you to focus on when you come home. A camping trip Fri and Sat the 21st of May oh and dont forget you are penciled in for the charity trivia quiz for the Refuge on thge 14th..... oh and Louise suprise 17th party on teh 29th........... so much to look forward too lovey ........ thinking of you xx

minibelle Apr 19th 2010 1:26 am

Anyone meeting up for St Georges day this week?

minibelle

cryz Jul 22nd 2010 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Safin (Post 8487099)
Oh Mrs Kiwi, I so know how you feel. And for me , horrible though it was, it was the right thing to do. Keep in touch and thoughts are with you.

JOJO - I need an update from you ... I assume audrey is the friend you mentioned, are you seeing the other woman too? Have a good trip. When are you back?

Def arrange girls night for when Mrs Kiwi is back and I am up for girls weekend and family camping in May

Hi there, I'm Cryz here. I'm acutally posted to work, after my University graduation, in Hervey Bay next year and would like to prepare myslef for the big move to Hervey Bay... So I've heaps of questions to ask... Would it be possible that I have anyone to contact over in Hervey Bay?

A big Thanks in advance.

Big Thanks
Cryz

Safin Jul 22nd 2010 12:51 pm

Hi Cryz, Welcome

What are you going to do here? are you coming alone - should I be assuming early 20's? Where from? Asking just so we know what things will be most relevant to you. - oh and because I am nosy - lol

Cookster Jul 22nd 2010 9:43 pm

Cryz,
Welcome too!!!!

Yer loads of us Harvey Bayeeeeee`s here so feel free to ask away.
Angela

cryz Jul 25th 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cookster (Post 8721558)
Cryz,
Welcome too!!!!

Yer loads of us Harvey Bayeeeeee`s here so feel free to ask away.
Angela

Hi Safrin and Angela,

Nice to meet you all. I'm moving to Hervey Bay (HB) alone. Yes, I'm in a early 20's and I'm from Brisbane. I'll be serving my qualification year in HB in the Allied Health care industry.

I'm rather concern about the location I should stay in. From the previous posts... I realise that there are sand flies and mosqitoes in HB... Which area should I avoid to avoid them as I'm not on very good terms with mozi and sandflies?

Also, which is the best internet provider? is there TPG there? or is it only Telstra?

I realised that the operator 3 mobile does not work very well in HB.... Which is the best mobile operator in HB which has the strongest signal and acceptable monthly bills?

What do young people normally do there? What kind of clubs and activities do they join?

pardon me for the many questions that I've asked.

Cheers
Cryz

Cookster Jul 26th 2010 11:57 pm

Morning Cryz, (unusual name!!!)

Ok to answer some of your questions, and before anyone gets on their soap box, just my opinion!!!
Re mozzies, or little bastards as they ae afectionately called here.
Personnally I would stay away from the top end of Urangan where the marina and mangroves are. Also Ive had problems in Eli waters, Toogoom and Craignish. Basically anywhere outside town!!!!! Best thing is just to spray up everytime you go outside at dawn and dusk. I got attacked big time last year in Toogoom. They really are persistant little bastards!!!
Re internet. We are with telstra and pay about $70 for unlimited access. Yes TPG are here too.
Best mobile coverage is telstra, but we are with optus as I feel telstra plans are expensive. We have 2 contract phones and pay $50 cap on each. I text and call ever one, (1350 texts last month) and I never go over.
Now onto young folk. There are two night clubs in town. One on the esplanade and one in town, with a really popular pub called the Tavern over the road. Abit quieter is Hoolies, our local, who do good old pub grub and have bands on on a weekend, oh and diddly dee music too, being an Irish bar. There are plenty of licenced cafe`s along the esplanade too and new resturants popping up every month it seems!!! Overal its not the liveliest of towns, if we want that then we head down to Brissie for the weekend, but it suits us.
Angela

garyp Aug 5th 2010 1:17 am

Hi
Just looking for some honest opinions on Hervey Bay and if its a suitable place for teenagers which can offer job oportunities and a good future without having to move away.
We currently live down on the Gold Coast and I work in Logan having only been here 5 months from the UK. The Gold Coast has plenty going on and I dont think any of us will be bored but the South East corner is just to busy for us and it can get suffocating for the likes of us who are not used to busy. Its only going to get worse I feel with future development plans and more and more people moving here.
I have got a 17 year old boy and 12 year old daughter and we recently went up to Hervey Bay for a short break and the wife and myself preferred it. So I have put in a job transfer for this area, even though there will be no guarantee of me getting a transfer. I just wanted to make sure if we do move up to Hervey Bay that it will be the correct decision for al the family.
my son more so who loves sport and just wants to be able to go out and get around easy so he can catch up with friends. What do most of the teenagers get up to in Hervey Bay? When we were up there we had a meal in one of the indian restaurants and the young girl who served us said she had always lived there and her sister felt trapped there and couldnt wait to leave for Brisbane when she was old enough. Made we wonder if my kids would feel the same.
Sorry for the long waffle but would appreciate the opinions of those living it.
Gary