British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-got-anything-bad-say-about-hervey-bay-521831/)

Pagani-Rennox Mar 14th 2008 11:35 pm

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Seriously looking at moving to Hervey Bay. It looks like 'paradise' with a laid back coastal lifestyle and with still very affordable coastal property. I have fallen in love with it by just looking at it over the internet. Am I just being romantic? Are there downsides to living there for a young family cos no matter how much I look can't seem to find any. We have two kids age 4 and 7 years. Have sought advice from the Australians who interviewed me and they highly recommend we move there due to it's range of facilites/ rapid growth/ house prices/ beautiful location. Looks like I am going to be offered a job in Hervey Bay or Maryborough (I am a social worker). Any advice about living there greatly appreciated. Anyone know of a similar type area with similar property prices for beachside locations but a bit nearer Brisbane (just thought I'd ask).

My OH is going out there next month to check out the Hervey Bay area (and some other areas north and south of Brisbane). Anyone in Hervey Bay able to meet with him end of April for a coldie would be greatly appreciated also.:thumbsup:

PWBCSA Mar 15th 2008 4:23 am

Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

1. Don't let advice from strangers on the internet put you off your dreams.
  2. I find Hervey Bay is full of tourists, old people and bogans.
  3. I reckon being a social worker in Maryborough, specifically Maryborough, would be close to the worse career choice in the history of the universe.

jad n rich Mar 15th 2008 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6064691)
Seriously looking at moving to Hervey Bay. It looks like 'paradise' with a laid back coastal lifestyle and with still very affordable coastal property. I have fallen in love with it by just looking at it over the internet.

I think as a social worker you would know there will be downsides too.

Hervey bay has been discussed on here quite a few times, the search box will bring up heaps of threads covering many aspects.

If you want a quick summary.

Good, house prices lower than other coasts.
Quiet area loads of land etc to be developed.
Probably a great place when your kids are 4 and 7.
Pretty enough, average beaches but no surf, OK countryside but be aware of sandfly areas.
House prices are the big drawcard for many.

Bad, 4 hour drive from brisbane, may feel a bit too isolated after a while.
Not as many facilities as the other coasts, but all your basics are there.
Popular with retirees, a big chunk of the population, could be seen as too quite for many. Areas of high unemployment. Locals can be a bit 'country qld' in their thinking, not as multi cultural as say brisbane.
Would not be a place with that many opportunites for the teen, I think a lot of kids there would see it as the sort place you want to leave to see a bit more life.

One big thing will stand out if you viewed it compared to GC and SC, its much quiter and quite some distance from bris. That will be a plus for some, others a minus. Climate can be a degree or two warmer than GC etc.

Sorrento Mar 15th 2008 6:59 am

It can be pretty wet in the 'summer'...

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology tells us that Maryborough receives 1152mm of rain each year on average. Much of it falls in Dec, Jan and Mar.

Melbourne gets 650mm.

Sydney gets 1087mm.

Manchester, UK gets 809mm.

All this said, the area is beautifully green and the winters are pretty perfect - clear skies and warm temperatures. Plus Noosa is only a short drive away if you're looking for a bit of glitz.

The bogans remark is justified.

chris96 Mar 15th 2008 9:51 am

I think the others have hit the nail on the head.

"Hervey Bay is full of tourists, old people and bogans" - spot on.

I was glad to leave after a couple of days, i remember 1 retail park, and a small town of about 20 shops on the front.
All the tourist head to Hervey bay to cross over to Frazer Island, other then them it's mostly the retired.
I would think it would be a bit boring for your children when there a little older.
I don't mean to sound negative about the place because it is nice, but just for visiting, if you want the laid back lifestyle why not head a bit closer to Brisbane, plenty of "quiet" towns with the option of catching a train into civilization.
I would think it would open more work opportunity's for you also.

Chris

renth Mar 15th 2008 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chris96 (Post 6065953)
"Hervey Bay is full of tourists, old people and bogans" - spot on.

I agree.

Pagani-Rennox Mar 15th 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks for all your honest opinions guys. Seems like you think there are more downsides than positives. Can anyone recommend a nice family coastal area nearer Brisbane and with similar houseprices to Hervey Bay. We are looking for a quiet lifestyle where the kids can be free and we can relax, be near the water and live affordably. Currently live in Glasgow and live a typical lifestyle of the "rat-race". P.S. can anyone fill me in on what a "bogan" is.:confused:
Cheers

ray2gill Mar 15th 2008 1:02 pm

[QUOTE=Pagani-Rennox;6064691]

"Hervey Bay is full of tourists, old people and bogans"

Quite clearly these people have not been there recently. Hervey Bay is full of young families. There is a huge expansion program going on and there was even another one announced last week to develop a large resort. There is also a large Marina expansion underway.

We drove from Brisbaine up to Arlie Beach and turned round and headed straight back to Hervey bay as it was so nice.

Last year saw the opening of Woolworths lagest store in QLD there. They would hardly do that if the town was not going to expand with future development.

There are at least 6 mini shoping mall areas each with approx 20 shops plus. That is without all the individual shops all along Boat Harbour Drive. We expected a one horse town but were incredibly suprise at the number of amenities.

Not as multi cultural as say brisbane, this is a great plus for us. Fed up with multi-culturalism!

There are buses from Hervey Bay & several flights per per day to Brisbaine and several flights a week to both Sydney & Melbourne. There are also trains from Maryborough.

We don't like Maryborough. We are from the South West of England and Hervey Bay feels just like home but with better weather. Everyone we have met has been helpful and very friendly.

As for tourists, you don't have to live right on the seafront and with global warming that would probably not be a good idea anyway.

This region is considered to have the 3rd best climate in the world.:thumbsup:

Pollyana Mar 15th 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6066361)
P.S. can anyone fill me in on what a "bogan" is.:confused:
Cheers

Lowlife, Chav, Feral, that kind of thing.....

Pagani-Rennox Mar 15th 2008 4:55 pm

Wow, thanks very much 'Ray2Gill' for your very encouraging post. The way you describe Hervey Bay is exactly how I have been reading it to be and was quite surprised and disheartened by the previous posts. We currently live a very busy life in a large city and are looking for a complete life change. Hervey Bay seems to fit the bill with all it's facilities/ rapid rate of development/ low house prices but at the same time still have a coastal lifestyle. I know there is an established elderly community there, but there is also there are four primary schools and 2 high schools so there must be enough families with children to fill the places. As far as I can see there is a college and University also. So it can't be completely a retirement community. We are not looking for a glitzy glam area with lots of nightlife - done all that when I was younger. Just want to be able to finish the day saying "wow just had an amazing day in an amazing place" after being fishing/down at the beach/cycling/ whale watching/ sea kayaking/ scuba diving :thumbsup:and above all spending real quality time with the kids. I know that Hervey Bay has loads of restaurants, bars etc so that suits me. Anyway hubbie is going to Hervey Bay next month to check it all out. So again Ray2Gill, cheers for your info, I now feel positive again as was starting to feel a bit dispondant after some of the comments of the previous posts.

jad n rich Mar 15th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6066923)

Wow, thanks very much 'Ray2Gill' for your very encouraging post. The way you describe Hervey Bay is exactly how I have been reading it to be and was quite surprised and disheartened by the previous posts.

Your thread title, did ask for the negatives, so most people gave them. I tried to be more balanced offering you both sides. Did you do the searches I suggested, you would see quite a few posts from people living there and 'lovin it' as the saying goes.

Personal experience, there is a fair bit of development there, we were offered a major project there but with boys 11 14 and 21 it was not for us at all.

Have two lots of friends there, both older couples, no kids in late 40's early 50's, they both hail from sunny coast and have made smart financial moves saving about $200,000 on their house price - reason for many peoples move there.

You can get similar (slightly dearer) house prices to hervey bay but very close closer to brisbane, similar water/beaches to hervey bay too. About 25klm from brisbane, woody point, another area is redcliffe. These areas were like hervey bay with a bit of a bogon reputation, now the councils are injecting mega millions into the beachfronts, development of luxury apartments, there would be already be 10 times the shopping of HB with more planned. A new highway link/bridge into the city and airport, already approved the currently very busy traffic will be cut dramatically, currently it takes about 30 mins. The area is much overlooked, we bought there to save commuting from SC when into the brisbane jobs, Great area, snapped up a little waterfront house at one third of the price of SC, councils about to spend 8.7 million on pier/ aquatic reef/ parks outside the front door:thumbsup:

I think being closer to brisbane than hervey bay, may not be an immediate problem, its after youve lived somewhere 6 months plus and youve done all the to dos many many times, thats when the locations proximity to other places becomes VERY important.

Good luck with it all anyway.

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 12:45 am

Thanks 'jad n rich' for your additional good info. Looked at Redcliffe too but lower beachfront houseprices in Hervey Bay has pulled us more toward there. I won't be ruling Redcliffe out though and have put down this area as one of my location preferences during my interview with Queensland Health. In fact, will go onto realestate.com.au right now and check out Redcliffe prices again. Cheers:thumbup: and thanks for your good wishes

ray2gill Mar 16th 2008 4:31 am

[QUOTE=Pagani-Rennox;6066923]

If you go outside of Hervey Bay which is made up of I think 5 small towns which are now all joined together. There are some fantastic beaches, quite only a couple of people on them or nobody at all with little restuarants. You just have to go and explore.

We have always stayed at the Big 4, Point Vernon when visiting. The owners there have been really helpful. Told us where to go to buy palm treees at rediculously cheap prices etc. and locations.

Like you we have done the glitz and the night club thing looking for a nice quite location where there are lots of things to do like, walking, cycling, fishing, sailing etc.

Gillian

cresta57 Mar 16th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6066439)
Lowlife, Chav, Feral, that kind of thing.....

One could take offense you know:p

iceman Mar 16th 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6068080)
Thanks 'jad n rich' for your additional good info. Looked at Redcliffe too but lower beachfront houseprices in Hervey Bay has pulled us more toward there. I won't be ruling Redcliffe out though and have put down this area as one of my location preferences during my interview with Queensland Health. In fact, will go onto realestate.com.au right now and check out Redcliffe prices again. Cheers:thumbup: and thanks for your good wishes

Redcliffe is an older suburb, and there is either very working class bits or expensive bits (Scarborough boat harbour) there is not an in between, and personally I would not choose it as a favourable location to live. We lived there for a while when we first came here. Hervey Bay is nice, but a little isolated, but there are plans to develop it further and it is very popular with retired people. The beaches are very nice there though, but it does have an isolated feel. I was offered a job there myself and have spent time there, and we also go there to work at the shopping centre as well, so I know it well. You would be 4 hours drive from Brisbane and it's suburbs. It depends what lifestyle you are after. If you want beaches, then head north of Brisbane unless the Gold Coast appeals, as the bay does not really have any except Margate, Redcliffe, Brighton and Sandgate, as Stradbroke island prevents this from being a possibility. If you like clean modern suburbs, it may not be your cup of tea. About an hour north of Brisbane, Bribie Island offers a decent lifestyle. Woorim has surf beaches, the west side is not tidal. Sandstone Point is on the mainland and affordable. Mainly modern houses. Deception Bay I would not choose (for reasons which I am not going into at risk of offending people who may have a different opinion). I found the best thing about Maryborough was watching it disappear in the rear view mirror. Tin can Bay is I think isolated and has no facilities. We also chose against Bundaberg, Gladstone, Boyne Island and Tannum Sands as well. Once you get north of here, it gets hot and humid. Any more advice feel free to drop me a PM.

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 10:23 am

ray2gill - are you thinking of settling in Hervey Bay later in the year?

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 10:34 am

Can anyone tell me if the beaches in Hervey Bay are supervised with lifeguards

Pollyana Mar 16th 2008 11:05 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 6068714)
One could take offense you know:p

One should be used to it :p

tripawaymars Mar 16th 2008 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6066361)
Thanks for all your honest opinions guys. Seems like you think there are more downsides than positives. Can anyone recommend a nice family coastal area nearer Brisbane and with similar houseprices to Hervey Bay. We are looking for a quiet lifestyle where the kids can be free and we can relax, be near the water and live affordably. Currently live in Glasgow and live a typical lifestyle of the "rat-race". P.S. can anyone fill me in on what a "bogan" is.:confused:
Cheers

I don't know what a Bogan is but a nice area near to Brisbane is redcliffe. it isn't a huge place but nice beaches and very family orientated with Scarborough close by which is also very pretty...that is just North of brisbane..just South nice areas are redlands bay, clifton and Wellington point area.
We really liked the Redcliffe area and the beach there is lovely..lots of families picknicking and out on bike rides, a very long esplanade. The job offers weren't right for us so we are going to cairns!! Have a look on internet, plenty of info on those areas...Scarborough has a lovely seafood restaurant by the marina and some lovely walks, you can see over to the glass mountains..really nice. Everywhere we went people were really freindly too. it has a small shopping area but Brisbane isn't far away. there is a place just before redcliffe too but can't remember name of it.
Hope this helps a bit!

tripawaymars Mar 16th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6066923)
Wow, thanks very much 'Ray2Gill' for your very encouraging post. The way you describe Hervey Bay is exactly how I have been reading it to be and was quite surprised and disheartened by the previous posts. We currently live a very busy life in a large city and are looking for a complete life change. Hervey Bay seems to fit the bill with all it's facilities/ rapid rate of development/ low house prices but at the same time still have a coastal lifestyle. I know there is an established elderly community there, but there is also there are four primary schools and 2 high schools so there must be enough families with children to fill the places. As far as I can see there is a college and University also. So it can't be completely a retirement community. We are not looking for a glitzy glam area with lots of nightlife - done all that when I was younger. Just want to be able to finish the day saying "wow just had an amazing day in an amazing place" after being fishing/down at the beach/cycling/ whale watching/ sea kayaking/ scuba diving :thumbsup:and above all spending real quality time with the kids. I know that Hervey Bay has loads of restaurants, bars etc so that suits me. Anyway hubbie is going to Hervey Bay next month to check it all out. So again Ray2Gill, cheers for your info, I now feel positive again as was starting to feel a bit dispondant after some of the comments of the previous posts.

Forgot to add that hervey bay is very quiet but house prices are still pretty cheap!

ray2gill Mar 16th 2008 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6069063)
ray2gill - are you thinking of settling in Hervey Bay later in the year?

Yes, We bought 1/2 acre last year and the builder is due to start on the house next week.

Mrs Kiwi Mar 16th 2008 8:23 pm

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm moving to Hervey Bay with my husband in November this year.
Despite a lot of negative comments about Hervey Bay I am actually encouraged by the amount of people that are talking about it and how many threads there are on Hervey Bay here on BE. It can't be that bad if so many expats seem to be moving there!
Like someone famous once said, its better to be talked about than not to be talked about at all. Or something like that!
I'm sure there are "bogans" and "hoons" in Hervey Bay but I bet there are more normal people!
Calling all expats living in Hervey Bay, how often do you meet/come across a "bogan" in every day life?

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill (Post 6070396)
Yes, We bought 1/2 acre last year and the builder is due to start on the house next week.

Can I ask - did you need permission from the government (FIRB) before buying the land. We are going on a 457 visa and believe there are some restrictions about buying property.

You must be very excited about building your own home

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 6071033)
I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm moving to Hervey Bay with my husband in November this year.
Despite a lot of negative comments about Hervey Bay I am actually encouraged by the amount of people that are talking about it and how many threads there are on Hervey Bay here on BE. It can't be that bad if so many expats seem to be moving there!
Like someone famous once said, its better to be talked about than not to be talked about at all. Or something like that!
I'm sure there are "bogans" and "hoons" in Hervey Bay but I bet there are more normal people!
Calling all expats living in Hervey Bay, how often do you meet/come across a "bogan" in every day life?

Mrs Kiwi - not only are we thinking of moving there, I know of another UK family seriously considering it if they can get work there too, because of all the great aspects of Hervey Bay. I agree, it can't be that bad.

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by tripawaymars (Post 6069301)
Forgot to add that hervey bay is very quiet but house prices are still pretty cheap!

Do you know if Hervey Bay houseprices are lower than those in the Redlands etc area.

isle Mar 16th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6071078)
Mrs Kiwi - not only are we thinking of moving there, I know of another UK family seriously considering it if they can get work there too, because of all the great aspects of Hervey Bay. I agree, it can't be that bad.

Us to, we want to go as well, we visited in feb last year and fell in love with hb, we are awaiting our case officer but as soon as visa arrives we are going.
travelled from Byron Bay to Airlee Beach and this was the only town that looked good enough to move to.
Cookster lives in hb check out her treads for more info.
isle

Pagani-Rennox Mar 16th 2008 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by isle (Post 6071336)
Us to, we want to go as well, we visited in feb last year and fell in love with hb, we are awaiting our case officer but as soon as visa arrives we are going.
travelled from Byron Bay to Airlee Beach and this was the only town that looked good enough to move to.
isle

Just waiting to see if I receive any job offers there or Maryborough. Will live in Hervey Bay and travel to work to Maryborough if neccessary. Would prefer to live in HB as I like the idea of cycling along the esplanade with the kids in the morning to school and work. Was told by Queensland Health that after accepting a job offer, we could be there as quickly as 12 weeks. That is a bit too soon for us, as need to sell the house and dispose of a lifetime of our possessions....not looking forward to that bit.

Safin Mar 17th 2008 1:07 am

We've been here 3 months now and have young kids 3,5,7yrs. Love it.

I'm no shopper but there's all the basics and Big W has just opened here. Maryborough is 30 mins drive away for a change of shops. I guess if you are a shopper you'd want to head to Brisbane to get your fix.

Beaches are shallow - goes out for miles at low tide, well seems like it, no surf and kids can play safely as it takes quite some time to get out of their depth. Not seen any lifeguards. Lovely warm sea too.

I think theres even more than 4 primary schools, and a few private scools too that seem pretty popular.

Yes theres's old folk here but it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it'd be. And yees there are bogans - new word on me too!- but being fair there are 'odd' folk everywhere including cities and subburbs.

It is a little 'countryfied' here in terms of attitudes but again less multiculturalism is a bonus for some and not that bad for anyone who finds it other wise.

In short if you like the outdoors beaches, walks fishing camping etc and have young kids then great. If you want theatre, opera, live big sports, fancy dining etc have older kids then maybe other areas should be considered.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know more

Safin

Mrs Kiwi Mar 17th 2008 5:54 pm

Pagini-Rennox, to answer your question houses in HB are cheaper than the Redlands area, I know this because the Redlands area (Wellington Point and Cleveland) were two areas I was interested in before I did my reccie in September. When I got to Oz in Sept I liked Cleveland a lot but the average house price was roughly 400K/450K and we would be facing a commute in to Brisbane to get higher wages to pay the higher mortgage!
In HB, the wages won't be as high but neither will the mortgage as you can get a decent 3 bed house for 350K, sometimes a lot lower.
So its swings and roundabouts.
Cleveland was nice and on the water but didn't have any beaches or (it seemed to me) the life style that goes with being near the beach.
You should look on realestate.com.au and put in Cleveland and other Redlands towns and look at the prices, then put in Hervey Bay and look at the prices.
Also, read my reccie report by searching for it under "My Reccie of Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay" (sorry don't know how to do a link - I'm a real technophobe!) as I feel you seem to be drawn towards the same areas as we were.

Mrs Kiwi Mar 17th 2008 6:08 pm

Meant to add a question to Safin or any other Hervey Bay dweller if I may - are there any good and bad areas of Hervey Bay? As in, areas that are a bit run down, or particular areas where the "hoons" and "bogans" hang out at night?

Also, by pure coincidence someone started an "Anyone in Maryborough" thread yesterday and that has had a few replies of so it looks like there are even more of us moving to the area!

BayWhale Mar 17th 2008 8:20 pm

I've lived in Hervey Bay for over 20 years and seen it grow from a one horse town to a thriving city, well to me that's how it seems. I'm a country girl at heart and four years ago we moved onto five acres which is just 10 minutes drive to town. I've got the best of both worlds.

Someone said something about all the rain we have had this year so I better say this has been the wetest coolest summer I can remember.

There are lifeguards on the beach at Torquay at the weekends and during school holidays and the water gets quite deep quite quickly in that spot.

Also someone said there is a train from Hervey Bay to Maryborough, I'm afraid there isn't, only wish there was. Originally the railway went from Maryborough to Pialba and then through to the end of the pier at Urangan but it's all gone now including half of the pier. :(

There is a new forum for Hervey Bay that has only been going for a couple of months but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so if anyone want's it just send me a PM.

The photo in my avatar was taken at the end of my street

Lisa_Mick Mar 17th 2008 9:39 pm

Excuse me for asking, but what the hell is a bogan? Not a word I'm familiar with....yet. We are moving to just outside Maryborough in 7 weeks so would like to be prepared for meeting whatever one is.:confused: Do I need to be armed with a rollingpin?:blink:
Lisa

tripawaymars Mar 17th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6071098)
Do you know if Hervey Bay houseprices are lower than those in the Redlands etc area.

When I was looking they were a fair bit cheaper than Redlands Bay.

ray2gill Mar 18th 2008 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox (Post 6071065)
Can I ask - did you need permission from the government (FIRB) before buying the land. We are going on a 457 visa and believe there are some restrictions about buying property.

You must be very excited about building your own home

Were on a 410 visa, but yes we had to get approval. I just wish we were there to watch it being built but the builder is going to send us lots of pictures and keep us updated.

Cookster Mar 19th 2008 8:50 am

Originally Posted by isle (Post 6071336)
isle

Oh, Cookster, thats me!!!

Well we live and love it here. Been here since May and bought a house within the first month, (also 5 min walk to Hoolihans the only Irish bar in town) Agree with some of the points written, but hey, thats what makes up a society, hoons and all.
We have made some smashing friends here already and every weekend is filled.
Have tried many of the restaurants along the esplanade and in town and still have many more to go.
We also bought a boat and have it moored in the marina.
For us the life style we have here would have cost us a small fortune back on the south coast of England, here it is much more afordable.

Would properly have to say the biggest problem here is finding decent work, still looking, kind of, sort of, well actually not really!!!!

Questions? Ask away

Angela

Oh and hello Isle !!!!

ray2gill Mar 19th 2008 3:33 pm

[QUOTE=Cookster;6083119]Oh, Cookster, thats me!!!

Well we live and love it here. Been here since May and bought a house within the first month, (also 5 min walk to Hoolihans the only Irish bar in town) Agree with some of the points written, but hey, thats what makes up a society, hoons and all.
We have made some smashing friends here already and every weekend is filled.
Have tried many of the restaurants along the esplanade and in town and still have many more to go.
We also bought a boat and have it moored in the marina.
For us the life style we have here would have cost us a small fortune back on the south coast of England, here it is much more afordable.

Would properly have to say the biggest problem here is finding decent work, still looking, kind of, sort of, well actually not really!!!!

Questions? Ask away

Angela

Hi Angela,

Glad you are enjoying living in Hervey Bay. We can't wait for July to come.

Would you know where the best place is to look at for having curtains and blinds made. There was one shop we looked at which was very nice but quite expensive.

Many thanks,
Gillian

Cookster Mar 19th 2008 8:41 pm

Morning Gillian,

I know the shop you mean, along Boat Harbour Drive. They quoted me $500 for a pair of pink curtains for my daughters room. Funnily enough decided against them. We took a trip up to Bundy to Spotlight, which i may add is coming to the Bay next year.

Angela

Nattyocean Mar 21st 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 6075140)
Meant to add a question to Safin or any other Hervey Bay dweller if I may - are there any good and bad areas of Hervey Bay? As in, areas that are a bit run down, or particular areas where the "hoons" and "bogans" hang out at night?

Also, by pure coincidence someone started an "Anyone in Maryborough" thread yesterday and that has had a few replies of so it looks like there are even more of us moving to the area!

Hi Mrs Kiwi

I had grown up in Hervey Bay, and can tell you the main areas which are not ideal to live in would be Scarness or Pialba mainly as it is the main shopping area (the latter) and Scarness was low cost housing, low income area. However saying that things have changed here dramatically over the past 5 years and Scarness seems to be changing for the better (slightly).

I am reluctant to say which are the best simply cause when my partner and I go to buy a house we still want to be able to afford it- prices have sky rocketed here in such a short time- very frustrating from a long time locals perspective- however if you wish to know PM me and I will tell!!

Cheers Nattyocean

Cookster Mar 21st 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Nattyocean (Post 6092074)
Hi Mrs Kiwi

I had grown up in Hervey Bay, and can tell you the main areas which are not ideal to live in would be Scarness or Pialba mainly as it is the main shopping area (the latter) and Scarness was low cost housing, low income area. However saying that things have changed here dramatically over the past 5 years and Scarness seems to be changing for the better (slightly).

I am reluctant to say which are the best simply cause when my partner and I go to buy a house we still want to be able to afford it- prices have sky rocketed here in such a short time- very frustrating from a long time locals perspective- however if you wish to know PM me and I will tell!!

Cheers Nattyocean

All suburbs, Pialba, Scarness, Torquay and Urangan all run into one and all have rentals. How you can say that Scarness or Pialba are low cost/ low income areas is unfair as all suburbs have areas which are a little run down.
I have friends that have paid a lot less than I have for a house in Dundowran, whiich is reportidly the up and coming area!! The school is rubbish and full of ferals!!! And that is said from people who live there!!!

It really does depend on what you want. We had ideas of owning a house with a couple of acres before we arrived. Realistically with two kids 14 and 12 we needed to be near schools and the beach, which we have acheived very nicely.
Best thing is to have a good look round once you arrive then decide.

Angela

Mrs Kiwi Mar 22nd 2008 12:01 pm

We will be renting for the first year I would say as we are keeping our house in the UK until we feel settled in Oz and then we will sell it. So we'll have plenty of time to get to know the area before we buy. There are good and bad bits of all areas I'm sure so once I get to know the place I'll be able to suss it out I guess.