British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-got-anything-bad-say-about-hervey-bay-521831/)

Pagani-Rennox May 23rd 2008 9:24 pm

Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Beancounter and MissDaisyMay good to hear from you and thanks taking the time to post the information. :thumbsup: I haven't heard from anyone from Hervey Bay yet who doesn't like living there. My husband is back now from his 2 week reccie to Hervey Bay. He really liked it there (his favourite place he travelled to in SE Queensland), met some amazing friendly people and thinks it'd be a great place for us to live. I'm just getting very frustrated now waiting for the Fraser Coast Health District to offer me a job. Not sure if they don't have any suitable vacancies or if bureaucracy is holding things up. :curse: Time is dragging on and we really would like to get out ASAP but can't start the visa application until the job offer comes through.

Do you know if the newspaper is available online as I'd love to read the article. :thumbup:

Claire

missdaisymay May 23rd 2008 10:15 pm

The paper was one of our freebies. The following is their email address, maybe they would be kind enough to email it to you. The writer was Kerrie Alexander

[email protected]

The Fraser Coast Chronicle is our local newspaper and it does have a website at www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au

missdaisymay May 24th 2008 1:27 am

If you look at the various job vacancy sites for Hervey Bay, sometimes its a good idea to select Maryborough as the location as often i notice they list hervey bay and maryborough together. Maryborough is only 20 mins drive from Hervey Bay.

missdaisymay May 24th 2008 1:28 am

And yes, it probably is beauracratic red tape thats holding you up. welcome to australia, the red tape capital! LOL

NeetyB May 24th 2008 9:31 am

Hi, looking at the replies, the good definately outweigh the bad and, as many people have said, there are bad apples everywhere.
I came to Oz in 1986 from West Cumbria and spent 13 years in beautiful Sydney, 3 years in gorgeous Port Stephens, 2 years in the serene Hunter Valley then 3 years in Hervey Bay. Moved back to the Hunter Valley 12 months ago with work. Of all those places, which are all beautiful in their own way, I enjoyed Hervey Bay the most. The people are so friendly, I think that's because there has traditionally been an older population and they've got a good attitude having gone there to retire and enjoy themselves. The population is getting younger now. Walking and riding my bike on the Esplanade every day, just about every person would say hello (the only ones that didn't you could tell were the ones on holiday from Sydney who were just so surprised that people actually spoke to each other). Used to go to Sporties and the Boat Club, both have a great feed. Climate is great and while the shopping was a bit lacking when I was there, this is changing. I don't think anyone mentioned that Hervey Bay was voted (at least twice in the last couple of years) to be the happiest place in Australia. That should be a great reason to move there.
The esplanade is old fashioned in places (particularly if you compare it to somewhere like Noosa or the Gold Coast), but then you're not paying Noosa or Gold Coast prices to live there. I was living in Urangan one street from the beach with our boat moored in the Marina, what a lifestyle! Still own property there and would love to move back but work says not.
I don't have kids but friends say it's great for younger kids but a bit lacking for teens.
I think only one or two people mentioned the sandflies, these are rampant in some places and make mozzies seem friendly. If you're going to rent, which is a good idea, ask lots of questions of the locals and you'll soon find out the places to avoid.
Anyway, enjoy, Australia will give you a lifestyle you could only ever dream of. Homesickness is a killer in the first years but stick it out and you'll never look back.:)

Pagani-Rennox May 24th 2008 11:52 am

Hi NeetyB

Good to read your positive and informative post. Good to hear you've never looked back. I do get a bit disheartened about moving to Australia by some of the other posts on BritishExpats from people who are not enjoying living in Australia. I think the homesickness will be a killer but I feel that if I choose carefully where we settle, then it might not be so bad. After several years of research and lots of advice, I think Hervey Bay is the place to go. Hope it lives up to my expectations, 'cos I'm in for a big disappointment if it doesn't!! I noticed last night that there is a Social Worker job being advertised on the Queensland Health website so I'm going to apply for that. Better go and do that now! ;)

Cheers Claire

Cookster May 24th 2008 11:15 pm

Im sure Hervey Bay will live up to your expectations, it certainly did for us.

Went down to Sydney last weekend, great place and we had a fantastic time, but......
It was so nice to come `home` where people actually talk to you, and not just see you as another tourist.

Angela

Pagani-Rennox May 25th 2008 9:43 am

Hi Angela, good to hear from you again. :D

Mrs Kiwi May 25th 2008 9:11 pm

6 months to go until we move to Hervey Bay and I can't wait! So scared but excited too.
If anyone knows of any spraypainting jobs for my hubbie or customer service / finance jobs for me that would be much appreciated!
Beancounter, what kind of employee are you looking for?

missdaisymay May 25th 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Mrs Kiwi, i posted earlier the website for our local paper, they have links to jobsearch sites. Remember to click on Maryborough and Hervey bay as these sites tend to mix the two towns (sorry cities) together. Also another favourite is seek.com Good Luck :thumbup:

missdaisymay May 25th 2008 11:28 pm

Woops you better ad an "au" to the end of that site. :o

Mrs Kiwi May 27th 2008 6:42 pm

thanks MissDaisymay, really appreciate the link. Will get looking in a sec! X

beancounter May 31st 2008 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 6393076)
6 months to go until we move to Hervey Bay and I can't wait! So scared but excited too.
If anyone knows of any spraypainting jobs for my hubbie or customer service / finance jobs for me that would be much appreciated!

Hi Mrs Kiwi.

I am a beancounter - looking for a beancounter.... or a clerk !

beancounter May 31st 2008 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 6393076)

There are a few panel beaters/vehicle spray painters in Hervey Bay. They all seem to be pretty busy and there are long waiting lists - which probably means they need more staff. I know F&G were looking for a good spray painter a while ago. You could also try Pialba Smash Repairs, Jo Seeger and Nash Smash Repairs. Do some web research to find their details.

ray2gill Jun 1st 2008 8:40 am

Does anyone know of any commercial refrigeration companies in Hervey Bay or Maryborough?

Our son who is on an independent visa as a Refrigeration Engineer will be moving to Hervey Bay shortly to join us with his family. He is currently an area supervisor with:-

http://www.space-engineering.com/

Any info would be appreciated.