Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:48 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Originally Posted by julie hilton
It's the thought they will crawl over you at night, while your a sleep. I been watching to many horrors lol :scared:
When your asleep at night they crawl in through your nose and lay eggs in your brain and when the eggs hatch the babies eat your brain as their food source.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

GreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud ofGreenSauce has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by acbh2
Well apparantly in our life time each one of us will swallow 8 spiders in our sleep :scared: just have to hope that they are the small undeadly kind
A
xx
AAAHHHH :scared: :scared: :scared:
I can cope with seeing a spider at a distance longer than my arm, but to think it touches or even invades me is intolerable!!!!!
Saw a redback on a campingsite in Geraldton, when we asked the local tourist shop man all he said was - "I don't worry about the redbacks, the bats come in every night and eat them for me..." AAAAAHHHHHH Ozzies are some straaange people!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I ate my 8 spiders in the uk. I'm done now.

<burp>
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
You'll have to give Enrique a good talking to!! (Good name - can he sing too?)

Not that I've heard, but give him time.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GreenSauce
AAAHHHH :scared: :scared: :scared:
I can cope with seeing a spider at a distance longer than my arm, but to think it touches or even invades me is intolerable!!!!!
Saw a redback on a campingsite in Geraldton, when we asked the local tourist shop man all he said was - "I don't worry about the redbacks, the bats come in every night and eat them for me..." AAAAAHHHHHH Ozzies are some straaange people!

Oh, that's another thing, if you have outdoor furniture, red backs really like the little nooks and crannies underneath and so you need to turn them over every so often and give them a brush down.

Actually at my MIL's place, she doesn't bother. We've had lunch sitting above some very interesting wildlife, I'm sure.

Out in the bush in the morning, there are some spectacular webs, especially after heavy dew or rain, which is when they show up best. The other day we say a web that looked like a box on a plant. Others are like lovely sparkling trampolines and there's a myriad of different shapes to see. Really fascinating. Of course, the spiders are long gone as most spin a new web every day, but there's really no need to fear these creatures. They're really quite fascinating.
Still, I did squash one in the kitchen yesterday, with a palate knife. Jumpy little bugger.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:03 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenSauce
"I don't worry about the redbacks, the bats come in every night and eat them for me..." AAAAAHHHHHH Ozzies are some straaange people!

I've got a Mango tree in the frontyard and this is very attractive to fruitbats. They have a wingspan of what looks like over 1m and come swooping in at dusk. My wife is scared of bats so I pretend that the large black objects flying overhead are nocturnal crows.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jayr
My wife is scared of bats so I pretend that the large black objects flying overhead are nocturnal crows.

What does she think they'll do to her? I like the bats. I like how sometimes they brush my hair with their wings in the evening.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom

What does she think they'll do to her? I like the bats. I like how sometimes they brush my hair with their wings in the evening.
She's a bit scared of all flying objects. She won't even pass the caged sleeping bats at Lone Pine Sanctuary.

She also runs indoors when magpies land in the backyard. With magpie swooping season soon upon us (that's right Poms, even magpies in Aus will try to attack you) I suggested that she sticks some fake eyes on the back of here head and carries a large orange flag.

She wasn't amused.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:58 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

I was just amazed to see spiders that bounce plus the fact that spiders seem obsessed with pool filters.

We brought our garden orb spider from our rental house (it was outside our front door for 6 months so seemed a shame to leave it for new tenant to kill) to our new house but haven't seen it since.

We did however leave the numerous huntsman we encounted.

Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by annqldau

We brought our garden orb spider from our rental house

LOL - what did you put it in? A tuppaware box?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:09 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Huntsmen don't do that aggressive thing. More commonly mouse spiders or funnel webs. Huntsman spider is very timid. I've tried to get ours to go over my hand on the wall at night but he won't and shies away immediately. Very timid.
omg if huntsmen dont do the aggresive thing then funnel webs are lose in brisbane!!! :scared: :scared: i think i was better off just pretending it was a huntsman in the pantry to know it was a funnel web is too scary!!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:11 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL - what did you put it in? A tuppaware box?
strangely enough yes... sort of sneaked up box one side lid the other and went snap then taped lid on till we got 15 mins down road to new house where I let it out. Was a big one bigger than a marble seemed such a shame to leave it. Lots of trees here so has probably found a nice tree house now.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kelli28
omg if huntsmen dont do the aggresive thing then funnel webs are lose in brisbane!!! :scared: :scared: i think i was better off just pretending it was a huntsman in the pantry to know it was a funnel web is too scary!!

Well you're alive, aren't you? So next time you'll do even better.

Can't imagine what it was doing in your pantry - prob came in during the rain and got trapped. It's not their natural environment. They prefer to hang out in their holes in the garden. I imagine you'd do some arm waving if you were trapped in a pantry with some big predator coming to squash you.

Most spider bites occur when people garden without gloves on.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by annqldau
strangely enough yes... sort of sneaked up box one side lid the other and went snap then taped lid on till we got 15 mins down road to new house where I let it out. Was a big one bigger than a marble seemed such a shame to leave it. Lots of trees here so has probably found a nice tree house now.

LOL - that's great.

My MIL's place has a golden orb spider in the trees in her front garden. It's huge and the web is really something to see as it covers a massive span.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:15 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brasso
Hi! We live in the rainforest on the sunshine coast...we have been here almost 2 years and have certainly experienced the wild life. Would you believe a Scorpion joined me in bed one morning and stung me on the boob..yep..thats right! We have come across red bellied blacks, brown snakes and carpet snakes, a few nests of red backs, funnel webs and huntsmen...so my recommendation..either dont buy a forest block or be mad like us and jump in feet first and learn as you go along. The kids and the dog have certainly found it an experience... !!!!!!!!!!
omg a scorpion in bed and your still here well done i think i might of had a some sort hysterical fit. i know someone that woke in the night with a cockroach in her cleavage i thought that was bad enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.