Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Wikiposts

Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:26 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Originally Posted by katcha
I agree!!! I cannot believe how bad they drive here, it's sooo dodgy!! All the idiots on the roads and i gets fined the other week for my tyre going on a double white line whilst going round a sharp bend.
Question is how far over the white line were you and was anything coming the other way?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:30 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

The worst creepy here in aus, without a doubt, are the little flies you get in summer. You havn't lived until you have had one up your nose, in your ear and rattling around in your mouth all at the same time.

Spiders, snakes, crocs etc... dont worry about them. i would guess 80% of aussies have never seen a snake, 95% havn't seen a croc and if you ever do see a spider a quick tap on the head with a newspaper and you win the fight.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:33 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
i would guess 80% of aussies have never seen a snake,
Unless it was a common garden-variety trouser snake!!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

katcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud ofkatcha has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Question is how far over the white line were you and was anything coming the other way?
Only just and no noone was coming the other way, altho the bend is sharp you can see around. 3 of my fellow work mates have been fined by the same bloke. I tried to apologise and say i was late for work but he was just a nasty pig!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

My worry is the kids playing in the garden. They are always playing in the mud, running around the grass bare foot and picking up insects. Will this be different in OZ. Will i have to explain to them about the bad spiders as i don't want to scare them.

Stacey xx
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:57 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
My worry is the kids playing in the garden. They are always playing in the mud, running around the grass bare foot and picking up insects. Will this be different in OZ. Will i have to explain to them about the bad spiders as i don't want to scare them.

Stacey xx
You should definatly explain to them that they shouldn't play with spiders. Although the bad ones aren't exactly common, you will see them around (depending on where you move), so the kids should be aware of thier presence. Dont worry about the bare foot and mud thing though, spiders arent normally found out in the open. In fact... they will need to have bare feet to fit in, especially when you go to the supermarket or videoezy
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:11 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

I know, that is my biggest scare. I have a two year old and he will be three once we get out there. I just hope I will have all the information i need before we go. My best advice is to buy a book on all the deadly creatures living in Australia. Hopefully this will give me some insight with what I will be dealing with.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:15 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Leave Huntsmen spiders - they're quite lovely and very timid but will hunt for roaches and other small spiders at night. We have one - he's large, and I've only ever seen him in the lounge at night. I don't know where he is during the day - can't find his hiding place.
Have you given him a name,

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 26th 2006 at 1:22 am. Reason: privacy
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Unless it was a common garden-variety trouser snake!!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is don't get bitten by a whitetail spider because it bloomin hurts and makes you feel awful afterwards
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:20 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

The worst creepy here in aus, without a doubt, are the little flies you get in summer. You havn't lived until you have had one up your nose, in your ear and rattling around in your mouth all at the same time.

Spiders, snakes, crocs etc... dont worry about them. i would guess 80% of aussies have never seen a snake, 95% havn't seen a croc and if you ever do see a spider a quick tap on the head with a newspaper and you win the fight.
I've got a vague memory of reading something on here that said Skin So Soft from Avon keeps the flies off - is this true? We're thinking of heading to Perth although hubby is starting to sway Adelaide now but I know the flies are bad there. Maybe I should start stocking up now!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:33 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie hilton
I'm just interested if anyone who has had any experiences on the wildlife out there. i.e Crocodiles and the poisonous snakes e.t.c

Can anyone give some good advice on the DO's and DON'Ts

Cheers
Apparently, we've got Pythons living on the complex that we are about to move into to.

DO admire them from a distance.

DON'T try to French-Kiss either of them.....
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:34 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have a large blue creepy crawly in my pool. It has a big sort of rubbery head thing and moves around the pool bottom and sides. It has a long hollow tail. It only moves around the pool for about eighthours a day then stops moving and rest on the bottom. These are very common in suburban swimming pools. I advise lifting them out beofre swimming as they can get in the way and are a little dangerous.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:46 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

8 people killed by bee stings in the UK in 1994
1 person killed by spider bite in OZ in last 30 years.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:02 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a snake. We have windchimes in the entertaintment area and one evening they made a big clatter. I look out the back door in the dark and it looked like they had sort of broken and were hanging in one long length. I switched on the light and discovered that it was a 2m long python hanging in the windchimes.

At the time I didn't know it was a python so just went out and videoed it (at a distance of a little over 3m). It later went back up into the pergola rafters. Haven't seen it since.

As for hitting a spider over the head with a newspaper - for huntsmen I would advise putting running shoes on first to be able to keep up with it and using a copy of the Sunday Times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.