Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Old Dec 20th 2004, 10:12 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
If you're gonna use water tanks (i.e rain water) you can't have a tiled roof... need corrugated iron or similar. Apparently the water is not drinkable off tiles.
No, tiles are fine. Recently painted roofs not OK. Keep roof clean (no leaves, moss), insect proof screens (filter) on tank, keep light out of tank to prevent algal growth. Clean sediment out of tank every few years. Be wary if lots of birds poop on roof (eg sea gulls) - use a first flush diverter.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Fuggle will become famous soon enoughFuggle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by welshpom
The latest info we have is that Telstra will connect your "first socket" for free. They might have a limit on the distance they will bring the line but I'm not aware of that. If you can get it for free that's great, but in this day and age it's not too big a deal if you have to use a mobile instead.

Thanks for that. True about the mobile - just dont know if I could live without the internet!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a happy year in Nundle (rural NSW), where Mr B is from. It's a town with a population of 250 with just 3000 in the whole shire. We were living on a property 12km outside Nundle. I absolutely loved the remoteness, the fact that you couldn't see another property from our own, all that space and air.

For what it's worth, here's my pros and cons....

Pros

Utterly crime free
Everyone knows each other
Compltely safe environment for kids
Real community spirit
No pollution
Excellent facilities (school, library, pool)
Beautiful countryside
Slower pace of life
No mobiles, all two-way
Super cheap houses

Cons

Having to remember to buy everything you need in the nearest big town (60km away) to reduce trips there
Kids can get bored when they get older
Drink driving - everyone was doing it
Not a whole lot of culture if that's your thing (at least, not *normal* culture)
Being cut off during floods
Low income area
Not many opportunties beyond farm work unless you do the long drive to the nearest big town

If you want to be able to nip to the supermarket, buy twenty types of cheese, go out for a thai/indian/chinese, get your hair styled, visit the theatre, peruse art galleries, get broadband, own a sports car then rural Oz isn't for you. If, on the other hand, you want to meet some real characters, allow your life to revolve around the community (and the pub), enjoy totally unspolit countryside, aren't afraid of changing career and don't want to own a mobile phone then maybe it is.

All that said, I'm a country girl so I loved it. Fell in love with it all over again when we went back for a visit last year and we will be moving back there when we eventually return.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone gone rural? Comments please!-backcreek-vsmall-.jpg  
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:25 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

BigPond Broadband 2-way Satellite Internet
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:14 pm
Badge

nice post Bundy.

i thought of getting a 2 way for the Missus so she can contact me when i am in the paddock. well a CB, or those local network things.!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got around to looking up Nundle on whereis.com.au and it is very close to Tamworth, and not even a day's drive from the Mid North coast where I spent some time. We drove through Tamworth a few times. Very convenient.

BM

Last edited by Badge; Dec 20th 2004 at 9:39 pm.

Old Dec 20th 2004, 10:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
nice post Bundy.

i thought of getting a 2 way for the Missus so she can contact me when i am in the paddock. well a CB, or those local network things.!!!!!!!!!!!

M
The small low wattage ones are excellent a pair costs in the region of $60 a pair, they have a 4-5 K line of sight range. We used to have the simlar style [pmr] ones in the U.K for when we took the kids to car shows and places like Alton Towers. They are a great way of keeping track of kids and wandering spouses alike
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:12 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy
I spent a happy year in Nundle (rural NSW), where Mr B is from. It's a town with a population of 250 with just 3000 in the whole shire. We were living on a property 12km outside Nundle. I absolutely loved the remoteness, the fact that you couldn't see another property from our own, all that space and air.

For what it's worth, here's my pros and cons....

Pros

Utterly crime free
Compltely safe environment for kids
Real community spirit
No pollution
Excellent facilities (school, library, pool)
Beautiful countryside
Slower pace of life
No mobiles, all two-way
Super cheap houses

Cons

Having to remember to buy everything you need in the nearest big town (60km away) to reduce trips there
Kids can get bored when they get older
Drink driving - everyone was doing it
Not a whole lot of culture if that's your thing (at least, not *normal* culture)
Being cut off during floods
Low income area
Not many opportunties beyond farm work unless you do the long drive to the nearest big town

If you want to be able to nip to the supermarket, buy twenty types of cheese, go out for a thai/indian/chinese, get your hair styled, visit the theatre, peruse art galleries, get broadband, own a sports car then rural Oz isn't for you. If, on the other hand, you want to meet some real characters, allow your life to revolve around the community (and the pub), enjoy totally unspolit countryside, aren't afraid of changing career and don't want to own a mobile phone then maybe it is.

All that said, I'm a country girl so I loved it. Fell in love with it all over again when we went back for a visit last year and we will be moving back there when we eventually return.
Sounds like paradise to me!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:34 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Sounds like paradise to me!

Well I don't know if I'd go that far.....but it is a pretty good place.

And Badge, yep, 60km of dirt road from Tamworth, Country Music Capital of Australia. And the first place in Oz to get street lights....