Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:00 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Does anyone know roughly what the price range is for these houses? I couldn't get anything to work beyond the home page when I tried to see for myself. Love the look of the house on the homepage mind!
I see lots of wood - very pretty. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - maintenance.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
I see lots of wood - very pretty. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - maintenance.
What sort of maintenance are you referring to? I.e, that which puts you off?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:26 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

What sort of maintenance are you referring to? I.e, that which puts you off?
Painting with clear polyurethane. Very pretty for a while and OK where not in direct sunlight. Then the peeling starts requiring massive pre-painting preperation. Opaque (titanium dioxide) paint lasts much better but still needs doing every 5 years. OK if it is large flat surfaces but all the fiddly bits makes it a right pain and expensive. Rather have steel or tile roof (verandah) exposed to the sun.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Painting with clear polyurethane. Very pretty for a while and OK where not in direct sunlight. Then the peeling starts requiring massive pre-painting preperation. Opaque (titanium dioxide) paint lasts much better but still needs doing every 5 years. OK if it is large flat surfaces but all the fiddly bits makes it a right pain and expensive. Rather have steel or tile roof (verandah) exposed to the sun.
How about a compromise? Wooden house with large overhanging tile roof?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:50 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know roughly what the price range is for these houses? I couldn't get anything to work beyond the home page when I tried to see for myself. Love the look of the house on the homepage mind!
The homepage one is the most expensive!!!!!! Thats the one I love (typical $)

Can't remember off hand will check up again and let you know.

Lynn
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:55 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

$670,000 = approx 267000 pounds!!!! Thats for the fully built price spec on 'planet noosa' not inc your land!

It even has a recording studio and DVD room!!! 6 bedrooms. not bad value really!

Lynn
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
$670,000 = approx 267000 pounds!!!! Thats for the fully built price spec on 'planet noosa' not inc your land!

It even has a recording studio and DVD room!!! 6 bedrooms. not bad value really!

Lynn
Blimey! Pretty much what I expected price wise for the luxury one. But a recording studio and DVD room?! Is this a house for a family or a burnt out rock star?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
The price quoted seems very expensive; maybe you could pinch some of the ideas and get another builder to do it? I also would steer away from lots of wood, too much maintenance, plus risk of termites. Didn't look at the secure site (in a rush this morning), were you talking about a wooden roof? Bizarre, wouldn't it be a fire risk? Think I would rather go for colourbond - secure, less maintenance and good for collecting your rainwater.
We're toying with the idea of buying a small property and supervising the building of a larger house onsite. Might be a ridiculous load of work, but we could then use the smaller building as a granny annex for parents / family to stay.
Must have a look at that site but hubby is going to monopolize the computer today!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Fuggle will become famous soon enoughFuggle will become famous soon enough

I'll have to check the details to be sure, but the one's we like are the Lifestyle Prow and the Australian Loft and i think they are around the £80,000 mark - but dont take that as gospel just yet!
The wood is apparently naturaly "Termite Resistant" and not too bad on the maintenance side of things and I just like the idea that the plans they have are ideas which you can use, but you can also buy the house in "blocks" and basicly put what windows / doors / shape/ size rooms anywhere you want and make it your own design. I have to keep reminding myself though that im not moving an entire family - just the two of us - so any planet noosa type place would be totally wasted - youd just get lost walking round your own house!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Found it! this should take you to the price list - see if it works.
https://secure.aussiehouses.com.au/aussie_modules.html
Happy dreaming!
Old Dec 17th 2004, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light / give information on Telephone connection.

We are thinking of going rural / self build and have seen the threads about putting in power and Mains connection Vs Solar Power...and how much it all costs :scared: , but would anyone know how much it costs to get telephone connection in?

Ta muchly

Fuggle.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:48 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fuggle
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone could shed some light / give information on Telephone connection.
The latest info we have is that Telstra will connect your "first socket" for free. They might have a limit on the distance they will bring the line but I'm not aware of that. If you can get it for free that's great, but in this day and age it's not too big a deal if you have to use a mobile instead.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Since I put up the first post in this thread, hubby has been researching sustainability related stuff. Unfortunately he doesn't post much on Expats, but I'll put up the links he's been looking at for anyone interested.
Loads of links re sustainability;
http://www.earthgarden.com.au/links.html
http://www.ecologicalhomes.com.au/econewsOct02.htm
This link is about a solar powered home near Midland WA, we will probably try and have a snoop sometime; http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/renewab.../raps-cs2.html
Info on environmental grants in Queensland;
http://www.qld.gov.au/grants/ssq/fil...nd%20Resources
Strawbale housing http://strawbale.archinet.com.au/Rules.htm
Homepage for a sustainable community in WA, east of Perth http://www.greenedge.org/default.asp

Gotta go now,
take care
Larissa
Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We're hoping to be semi-rural somewhere on Mt Tamborine. Other things to add to the cost: water tanks, sewage system, any driveway and paths, earthworks and possibly landscaping. Think $50-100K extra for starters on top of land and house and service connections.

These houses look very pretty in the pictures but maintenance would be both expensive and time-consuming. Just who cleans all those huge tall windows occasionally and removes all the cobwebs? All those non-flat walls and fences to clean and paint --ARGH.

Have you seen Civic Steel homes, Clarenden or Orbit?

We're looking for something solid but very light on the inside, so no wooden walls.

Lesley
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:59 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

If you're gonna use water tanks (i.e rain water) you can't have a tiled roof... need corrugated iron or similar. Apparently the water is not drinkable off tiles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.