British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone else noticed the new 'trend'? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-else-noticed-new-trend-425261/)

northernbird Feb 13th 2007 12:52 pm

Re: Anyone else noticed the new 'trend'?

Originally Posted by temptininnit (Post 4396661)
With prices expected to fall in Perth now is a good time to move there. Six or twelve months rental might enable migrants to get a bargain or not . . .

:)

not in my view, people have been predicted a price crash in UK for years and the average house price there has just topped 200k GBP, almost identical to the average price here in Perth.

temptininnit Feb 13th 2007 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4397559)
not in my view, people have been predicted a price crash in UK for years and the average house price there has just topped 200k GBP, almost identical to the average price here in Perth.

You may well be right, I've read a few articles expecting a 20% drop this year in WA (after a 40+% rise last year!!). Nobody knows for sure, if you did you'd make a killing.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Feb 13th 2007 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4396715)
i tell you what wendy,if i had no kids,, i would...what a life,, tantastic..

pull up at sisserelo's and have me fish and chips,,,pure,pure paradise

ast

Dont you mean Ciccorellos? ;)

renth Feb 13th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by tofster (Post 4396566)
Yeah, but you'll be moving to Montana soon?

...to raise me some dental floss.

Very good.

DrWho Feb 13th 2007 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra (Post 4396484)
Sydney has been the top migrant destination for many years and still is :)

It just may not be the top destination for the 4X2 with pool brigade. But it more than makes up for that in other areas as mentioned of employment opportunity and some levels of infrastructure.

In my opinion Sydney tends to get dissed on this site because of the cost but it is a balance as in any other city and long term could prove a more viable options for many.

Cheers

Hear hear...!

DrWho Feb 13th 2007 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by hubbard (Post 4396364)
...Personally, and this isn't meant to be inflammatory, but to place so much emphasis on bricks and mortar over scenic location, infrastructure, job opportunities, schooling, night life, etc has always seemed a bit short sighted. If you didn't have a big house and pool in the UK surely you don't miss what you've never had?

I think some people feel more comfortable owning their own home, and the smaller the mortgage the better. I can easily see why some people would sacrifice some things for that... :)

hubbard Feb 13th 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by rodders39 (Post 4399139)
I think some people feel more comfortable owning their own home, and the smaller the mortgage the better. I can easily see why some people would sacrifice some things for that... :)

Agree totally with wanting to buy your own home as opposed to renting but does having a big house with a pool have to be so important. If you own a semi in the UK won't a semi in Oz suffice???

Katsmajics other half !!! Feb 13th 2007 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by hubbard (Post 4399210)
Agree totally with wanting to buy your own home as opposed to renting but does having a big house with a pool have to be so important. If you own a semi in the UK won't a semi in Oz suffice???

If we can get a house with a pool then great........but it aint that big a deal.

As long we have got somewhere nice, nice area...close to schools etc etc.

and above all the chance to sit there and say this is OUR !!!! house.

DrWho Feb 13th 2007 8:47 pm

But it's all about personal choices isn't it... :)

From your posts you would put 'scenic location, infrastructure, job opportunities, schooling, night life, etc ' over bricks and mortar... and fair enough, that's your choice...

But for many the opportunity to exchange a 3 bed semi in some dour part of the UK for a detached house with a pool in sunny Australia, and with no increase in mortgage, is all part of their dream... After all the most quoted reason for coming out here is for a better life, and if the house and pool is what floats their boat then fair play to them... :)

tofster Feb 13th 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 4399001)
...to raise me some dental floss.

Very good.

Do I recall zircon encrusted tweezers also....? !!

aston man Feb 13th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 4398767)
Dont you mean Ciccorellos? ;)

no that place that sells top of the range fish and chips,not that italian that does short back and sides...:D

renth Feb 13th 2007 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by tofster (Post 4399423)
Do I recall zircon encrusted tweezers also....? !!

Good to come across a fellow Zappa fan! :D

BadgeIsBack Feb 14th 2007 12:32 am

To me space is important. Space = lifestyle. Lifestyle (of your choosing) = happiness. My small 3 bed by Aussie stds (with room to expand) is better than said UK 3bed semi.

It's not the size, its what you do with it. :blink: :rofl:

Some people think a multimedia room, pool table and pool will change them.
Now - when I take my daughter down to the back and we sit on a rock - now that's priceless.

Hutch Feb 14th 2007 12:44 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 4400130)
To me space is important. Space = lifestyle. Lifestyle (of your choosing) = happiness. My small 3 bed by Aussie stds (with room to expand) is better than said UK 3bed semi.

It's not the size, its what you do with it. :blink: :rofl:

Some people think a multimedia room, pool table and pool will change them.
Now - when I take my daughter down to the back and we sit on a rock - now that's priceless.

How big is the rock and is there side access for a boat?

BadgeIsBack Feb 14th 2007 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4400156)
How big is the rock and is there side access for a boat?

lol. The rock we use (good view of the birds etc - little one goes ooh! ahh! keeps her entertained) is not so great but there are a few next to it which have good side access for my mower.