Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Old May 21st 2008, 11:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Originally Posted by cazzamia
I think the OP is looking for concrete advice, not someone to come along and rub their noses in it!
piss off. if the OP isn't getting a job there is something wrong with either their attitude or their experience IMO.

Last edited by northernbird; May 21st 2008 at 11:55 am.
Old May 21st 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
piss off. if the OP isn't getting a job there is something wrong with either their attitude or their experience IMO.
Maybe so, but other posters have pointed out to them what they need to do in order to secure a job. I too have a really good job in the UK but I am under no illusions that when and if I get to Oz, I may well have to
'flip burgers' and take jobs much lower than my ability in order to gain experience of the Ozzie workplace - which will hopefully then lead to a better job in the future.

Now, when you say there is something wrong with the OP's attitude, not sure what yours is about when you tell people to p**s off for expressing their opinion.
Old May 21st 2008, 12:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazzamia
Maybe so, but other posters have pointed out to them what they need to do in order to secure a job. I too have a really good job in the UK but I am under no illusions that when and if I get to Oz, I may well have to
'flip burgers' and take jobs much lower than my ability in order to gain experience of the Ozzie workplace - which will hopefully then lead to a better job in the future.

Now, when you say there is something wrong with the OP's attitude, not sure what yours is about when you tell people to p**s off for expressing their opinion.
I am in Perth. I am a Secretary who hasn't worked since July 2005. I was offered a job over the phone with a global company (Chevron Oil) without even going for an interview. I was telling you to piss of since I didn't agree with your opinion. 6 posts and you are a know it all
Old May 21st 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

I am in Perth. I am a Secretary who hasn't worked since July 2005. I was offered a job over the phone with a global company (Chevron Oil) without even going for an interview. I was telling you to piss of since I didn't agree with your opinion. 6 posts and you are a know it all
Not a know it all, just heeding advice posted on this forum.
Old May 21st 2008, 1:58 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Someone not gettinga job it isn't always down to their skills or attitude. It could simply be there are no jobs in their line of work. It also depends on the kind of work they do. Some jobs are two a penny whilst others are the thin end of the wedge.

To the OP - keep trying. Apply for as many jobs in your field as you can and you will hopefully have some good luck
Old May 21st 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

JustNick has a spectacular aura aboutJustNick has a spectacular aura aboutJustNick has a spectacular aura about

How I smiled when I read some of these threads!

Both Husband and myself are accountants and both came on skilled 136 VISA's because QLD needed accountants! We landed Feb 2008 and other half has a 6 month placement with health body but someone deemed to suggest he was too radical for them and perhaps in 5 years time they might, only might, be ready for him!
We decided for the sake of our kids that only 1 of us would work - the OH - but this is just not working out so I have looked for the last month thinking OH could stay at home but it is just dire!

We had really done our homework on Australia, been 3 times since 2003 (the last time was June 2007) looked at houses, schools, jobs, cost of living etc. All were really positive but in the last 5 months food has risen by 40% and house prices are still going up here in Brisbane. Added to this is the fact that recruitment agencies which said we would get a good salary are now saying we have to go in 5 rungs down the ladder and work in excess of 50 hours a week and in the case of my OH this is just silly!

We have now got to make the really hard decision of whether to go back to the UK or not. Our kids have settled really well here and we all love the sun but the worklife balance is not what it was and the costs of living are now phenomenal when compared to the UK salary that we had.

Whilst it might be OK to hang on in there for some people for us we have to think about our childrens future and if we keep hacking into the money we brought with us we are going to end up with no deposit for a house irrespective of where we are! I think ultimately your gut tells you when to give up or when to stay
Old May 21st 2008, 7:27 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustNick
How I smiled when I read some of these threads!

Both Husband and myself are accountants and both came on skilled 136 VISA's because QLD needed accountants! We landed Feb 2008 and other half has a 6 month placement with health body but someone deemed to suggest he was too radical for them and perhaps in 5 years time they might, only might, be ready for him!
We decided for the sake of our kids that only 1 of us would work - the OH - but this is just not working out so I have looked for the last month thinking OH could stay at home but it is just dire!

We had really done our homework on Australia, been 3 times since 2003 (the last time was June 2007) looked at houses, schools, jobs, cost of living etc. All were really positive but in the last 5 months food has risen by 40% and house prices are still going up here in Brisbane. Added to this is the fact that recruitment agencies which said we would get a good salary are now saying we have to go in 5 rungs down the ladder and work in excess of 50 hours a week and in the case of my OH this is just silly!

We have now got to make the really hard decision of whether to go back to the UK or not. Our kids have settled really well here and we all love the sun but the worklife balance is not what it was and the costs of living are now phenomenal when compared to the UK salary that we had.

Whilst it might be OK to hang on in there for some people for us we have to think about our childrens future and if we keep hacking into the money we brought with us we are going to end up with no deposit for a house irrespective of where we are! I think ultimately your gut tells you when to give up or when to stay
Excellent post. Sad but very true. I know of so many professional migrants that are in exactly the same position as you are that it's not funny. In fact it's especially gaulling as Australia claims to need skilled migrants

Good luck moving fwd
Old May 21st 2008, 7:42 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

not true NB. you have been very fortunate.
Old May 21st 2008, 11:05 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Well I`ve applied for loads of jobs (I was an admin officer with MOD back in the UK, plus have experience in shopwork and have worked as a cleaner at times)I`ve applied for loads of stuff and the only job I got was working as a cleaner in the dementia unit at local old folks home - I lasted one day (no [problem with the cleaning but found it very upsetting seeing people like that, I`d thought I could cope with it but I was wrong). I`ve even been turned down by McDonalds and Woolies have rejected me 6 times so far (I don`t think they look at the online applications as I get a rejection email as soon as the job closes, I doubt they`ve managed to even arrange job interviews in such a short time - job goes up on Tuesday, Im rejected on Friday)I also applied for the KFC across the road, they assure me they desperate for staff, twice I`ve phoned up and asked them what is happening, as Im really keen to work,twice they`ve said they will investigate & call me back tomorrow and twice they never bothered - - arseholes!!. Now my main problem is I don`t drive - a major sin in Oz apparently, so Im looking for local jobs near transport, Im taking driving lessons to address that but at $50 a go it can be a financial drain (a catch 22 if you like). I could probably get a job in the CBD but I really want to be local in case daughter is taken ill at school or something.
So Im looking at a computer course at TAFE and wll keep banging away the applications, there is nothing wrong with my attitude but do think this is a who you type place.
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Well I`ve applied for loads of jobs (I was an admin officer with MOD back in the UK, plus have experience in shopwork and have worked as a cleaner at times)I`ve applied for loads of stuff and the only job I got was working as a cleaner in the dementia unit at local old folks home - I lasted one day (no [problem with the cleaning but found it very upsetting seeing people like that, I`d thought I could cope with it but I was wrong). I`ve even been turned down by McDonalds and Woolies have rejected me 6 times so far (I don`t think they look at the online applications as I get a rejection email as soon as the job closes, I doubt they`ve managed to even arrange job interviews in such a short time - job goes up on Tuesday, Im rejected on Friday)I also applied for the KFC across the road, they assure me they desperate for staff, twice I`ve phoned up and asked them what is happening, as Im really keen to work,twice they`ve said they will investigate & call me back tomorrow and twice they never bothered - - arseholes!!. Now my main problem is I don`t drive - a major sin in Oz apparently, so Im looking for local jobs near transport, Im taking driving lessons to address that but at $50 a go it can be a financial drain (a catch 22 if you like). I could probably get a job in the CBD but I really want to be local in case daughter is taken ill at school or something.
So Im looking at a computer course at TAFE and wll keep banging away the applications, there is nothing wrong with my attitude but do think this is a who you type place.

i've also been turned down by McDonalds, Woolies and Bunnings. I have been told that it's who you know and most people get jobs by being refered by some one else. I am registrared with 4 agencies and very rarely hear from them. I also get the "we'll call you back" routine and they never do. I don't drive either and i agree it is a major crime here as all employers expect you to. I'm looking at doing an intensive driving course if i can ever get a driving instructor to call back. There is nothing wrong with my attitude either but am beginning to think that my age is going against me.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:31 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Originally Posted by jwood
i've also been turned down by McDonalds, Woolies and Bunnings.
Lads this can not be the case all over Oz areyou telling me australia is taking on 160,000 skilled migrants this year when mcdonalds are not hiring???
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Lads this can not be the case all over Oz areyou telling me australia is taking on 160,000 skilled migrants this year when mcdonalds are not hiring???

The proposal reported in The Australian newspaper last week was that the RUdd government want to increase skilled immigrants to 300,000 a year plus unlimited on 457 visas. If that is correct personally i find it Noted the reason was to keep a cap on wages

Unemployment figures, you need to work 2 hours a week to register as employed think that might skew the real picture of getting a job!
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine, qualified teachers assistant with a resume of references and experience the size of a phone book is working in a nursing home for $14.80 an hour. Not an immigrant an aussie, supporting 2 kids on it too.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:07 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I didn`t think I would find it so hard to get a job - I know Im restricting myself though by wanting to be reasonably local and by not being able to drive (but Im working on it).
You hear about how short of workers they are, (in fact KFC openly admitted to me they were desperate for staff - yet they won`t call me back - work that one out!!)
Im not giving up though, something will turn up eventually and Im not fussy about what work I do - I just want to work.
Hubby is a sparkie and he hasn`t had problems getting work (he`s on his 3rd job) You look in Saturdays West Australian and you see all these jobs being advertised for office roles, so the work is there it`s just a case of trying to get them to employ you and finding one in my area.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:31 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I didn`t think I would find it so hard to get a job - I know Im restricting myself though by wanting to be reasonably local and by not being able to drive (but Im working on it).
You hear about how short of workers they are, (in fact KFC openly admitted to me they were desperate for staff - yet they won`t call me back - work that one out!!)
Im not giving up though, something will turn up eventually and Im not fussy about what work I do - I just want to work.
Hubby is a sparkie and he hasn`t had problems getting work (he`s on his 3rd job) You look in Saturdays West Australian and you see all these jobs being advertised for office roles, so the work is there it`s just a case of trying to get them to employ you and finding one in my area.
i went for a job in a local pizza/food place last year. i was told i was too old

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.