Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Old May 26th 2008, 10:18 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Exactly! Some people belive if they are highly skilled and have qualifications they are likely to be more successful. Some also think if they have Aussie qualifications it stands them in an even better position.

It is UK experience that is deemed a disadvantage. Unless you have Aussie experience you are a nobody and know nothing, which is a shame

The funny thing is Australia is crying out for skills and it is recognized that big companies in Europe are likely to be more experienced than their Aussie counterparts ergo there is something to be learned. However learning from European experience seems to stick in the Aussie workforce throats.

How many times have immigrants been told not to refer back to when they worked in UK or refer back to what improvements were learned or made. It's as if it rubs people up the wrong way. Tall poppy syndrome and it's foolhardy as most migrants want to share their learning not to look smart or clever, but to help things improve. Forget it. It's not seen as smart and it sure aint appreciated which is a shame

As for skilled people being paid less than they are worth as per your Ex's case. That's going to get worse now they have upped the limit on skilled migrants. Everyone will be fighting for a smaller pool of work so in terms of supply & demand the value of skilled workers will decrease. A benefit to the Australian economy. The irony is, skilled migrants will be flocking to Aus [sold on lifestyle choice] whilst Aussie skilled workers will be going in the opposite direction to earn better money.
Australian experience matters but that can be obtained through short contracts. Once an employer sees local positions held and a local reference they will go for you. The UK experience counts a lot but it is a matter of breaking the ice.

As for the OP believing recruitment agents. They are as trustworthy as estate agents.
Old May 27th 2008, 12:16 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Australian experience matters but that can be obtained through short contracts.
Yes you are right however some employers see people who do contract work as less loyal and less reliable than someone who stays in a job for longer periods. It can be a no win situation. Also, you are very easily "pidgeon holed" into being a contractor rather than an employee.

Originally Posted by IvanM
As for the OP believing recruitment agents. They are as trustworthy as estate agents.
I agree. I know a lot as friends and whilst they are really nice people, at the end of the day they are earning money as flesh peddlers. They get paid for putting people in jobs, sometimes in jobs they've never worked in themselves.
Old May 27th 2008, 12:41 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Anyone in Perth now or arriving soon and looking for work, please PM me.
Old May 27th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Anyone in Perth now or arriving soon and looking for work, please PM me.

Even if we head out next year?

Bluekipper
Old May 27th 2008, 3:28 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Even if we head out next year?

Bluekipper
Yes
Old May 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been on the GC for about 5 mths now, I have recently started looking for admin work and I was shocked with a couple of replies saying how many applicants applied- over 100 for general admin positions

A couple of friends have also had the same response from companies recently too so I know it isn't just me.

On a positive note, I had my first interview today, got another one lined up on Tuesday ... I must admit I was getting rather worried.

Funny thing though, after 3 weeks of not getting a sniff, I took out the part about recently relocating from my cover letter and got both the above interviews the next day .....

Mandy
Old May 27th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Yes

FANTASTIC
Thanks