Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Old May 13th 2008, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Anastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really niceAnastacia is just really nice
Default Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

I was just wondering if anyone else is finding it difficult to get a job?
I have been here since january and have not even had so much as an interview.
In Scotland i worked with Adults with Learning difficulties and there are jobs advertised but i never seem to get anywhere with them.
My husband is working and that is keeping us at the moment but we would be better off if i was working too.
It is depressing me and making me want to go home, as i had a really good job at home and feel as if they dont even recognize the skills i have over here.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Originally Posted by Anastacia
In Scotland i worked with Adults with Learning difficulties and there are jobs advertised but i never seem to get anywhere with them.
My husband is working and that is keeping us at the moment but we would be better off if i was working too.
It is depressing me and making me want to go home, as i had a really good job at home and feel as if they dont even recognize the skills i have over here.
You will probably need aussie quals unless you are going to volunteer,have you looked at TAFE. Study up on the performance criteria type interviews too, quite an art, have a friend whos a qualified teachers aide, the interview packs/process are quite lengthy with hundreds of applicants and usually in her opinion they already know who they are going to employ. She still only gets casual hours even after all that crap.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Yep, hubby had the same problem it took him about 4 month to get a job (he's unskilled) sent out about 50 CV's and applied for loads of jobs. Eventually he got a casual job and has just been made permanent. It really knocked his confidence he went on any course he could just so it would hopefully add to his chances of getting a job. It was pure luck in the end.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

feel as if they dont even recognize the skills i have over here.
Quite possibly they don't I don't think it's much different whatever country you were to move to, every country does things their own way and expect applicants to offer the 'right' qualifications. As Jad says, try and do a TAFE course, as well as looking at voluntary work - that always looks good on a Resume.

Even Aus Resumes look completely different from UK CVs so getting 'local' advice as to how yours should look and what it should include would also help.

Good luck and don't give up, it can take a while (or flaming ages in some circumstances).
Old May 13th 2008, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Hills is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone else finding it difficult to get a job??

Hi Anastacia..... don't lose heart ... unfortunately you'll probably have to get your qualifications recognised..... I was an Auxiliary in the UK but had gone back to college at night and done in job qualifications so that i could go on and do my paramedic training (this was all b4 we decided to come over here) but these qualifications were not recognised here... so i had an appointment with skilling solutions who gave me some info on getting this done.... great i thought ... but there is a downside ... you have to pay for the privilage..... so i can deffinately empathise with you mate.....days at home give you time to think.... makes you homesick.... keep trying ... best of luck
Old May 13th 2008, 7:11 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned you will do yourself a favour by getting to TAFE and doing some sort of course related to your field. I have stressed this numerous times on here over the years - ANY job involved working with adults/kids in a social/community worker/mentoring senario will require some sort of Aussie "retraining" no matter how much experience you have or how many UK quals.
Also by doing a course you will get out of the house for the day rather than being stuck in doors which may or may not be getting you down and homesick and you will get to meet people.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

you need to get out and about and meet some people
one thing we've found is a lot of work comes from who you know, not what you know - any chance you get mention what you do and that you're looking for work
i know it's hard but try not to keep thinking about how things were "at home" as it really wont help
Old May 13th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

I am a nurse for people with learning difficulties ( RNMH) my qualification is not recognised, I have given up even looking for any work , no-one replies .
Hope you find a job soon , but i feel for you .
Janet
Old May 13th 2008, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What the others have said - Aus is definitely a place where it aint what you know but who you know. If you can find somewhere that you could volunteer then you could get your foot in the door. Charities are often quite interested in mentors or something like that - you could try St Vinnies, the Salvos, Anglicare or any of those organizations and see if they have an interest in adult literacy mentoring. We do have a volunteer service here which supports adults with literacy difficulties but the paid positions tend to be teaching positions and there you have the 4 year teaching degree requirements being a possibility. If all else fails, you could suss out private tutoring.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

As the other replies have said don't give up hope and try to get on a TAFE course to get Aussie qualifications. In the meantime, alot of others in the same position have got any job that was going. For example, my OH was an experienced fingerprint tech in the Sussex Police. Over here she could not get a job in that field because to be a Fingerprint Officer, you needed to be a serving Police officer. She ended up taking a casual job with Australia post sorting mail at Christmas. Although not fantastic, it gave her a sense of purpose and "an Austrlalian job experience" for her resume'. She has now worked her way up in the Emergency Services dept in Qld.
Best of luck.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Yes partly because I am terrible at looking for work. I was an intelligence analyst in the UK (civilian) and have managed to get a couple of interviews for potentially good jobs but have stuffed the opportunities up. Good on paper but ---. I have been temping doing mainly mind numbing admin type contracts. Don't know why I am still here really but I do like Oz in other respects.

I have encountered a lot of people over the past 18 months who are working outside their fields. What I find ironic is that I got a skilled visa - i.e., my skills are apparently required here bla bla.

Good luck to everyone having the problem - it also knocks your confidence when you don't get a job that you could do standing on your head blindfolded. Now losing my skills as well as my confidence!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=suebrennan;6343368]
Yes partly because I am terrible at looking for work. I was an intelligence analyst in the UK (civilian) and have managed to get a couple of interviews for potentially good jobs but have stuffed the opportunities up. Good on paper but ---. I have been temping doing mainly mind numbing admin type contracts. Don't know why I am still here really but I do like Oz in other respects.

I have encountered a lot of people over the past 18 months who are working outside their fields. What I find ironic is that I got a skilled visa - i.e., my skills are apparently required here bla bla.
[QUOTE]

How did you stuff them up? One reason could be that they had someone who had citizenship, which counts more in intel analyst field due to the sensitive nature of the job. The OH had a similar problem even though she has to type up some confidential reports during emergencies, she cannot fax them as the special fax machine is connected to ASIO, due to her not having citizenship at the time for security clearance to enter the special fax room.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:06 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I started relief working in schools

I did get this through a friend whos dad recommended me (he taught there) although my girls school also wanted me for relief (i got talking to the registrar who explained the system over here)

This led to me applying for several jobs in schools, that i didn't get

but it did lead to the education dept phoning me offering me a permanent position without interview, which i turned down as i had accepted a long term temp contract with a local school which when it was made permanent i got.

But it was a who you know not what you know!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

pm shazzamac , she works in this area in melbourne, but is relocating to perth soon, and has a job there.
I know she has done some distance learning here whilst working full-time
Old May 13th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=The Bloke;6343472][QUOTE=suebrennan;6343368]

How did you stuff them up? One reason could be that they had someone who had citizenship, which counts more in intel analyst field due to the sensitive nature of the job. The OH had a similar problem even though she has to type up some confidential reports during emergencies, she cannot fax them as the special fax machine is connected to ASIO, due to her not having citizenship at the time for security clearance to enter the special fax room.
Yes I am aware that I am excluded from applying for a whole range of jobs as not a citizen yet. But although I can do the dreaded selection criteria - I have not mastered the interview game here. Strange because I used to enjoy the challenge but ----. One I felt was mine - interview went like a dream and it was a low level but good foot in the door but I did not get it and was refused feedback - guess it went to a local?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.