Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody commute from Central Coast to Sydney CBD?

Anybody commute from Central Coast to Sydney CBD?

Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice
Default Anybody commute from Central Coast to Sydney CBD?

Just be interested to hear of how you find the journey, trains, time travelling etc as this is something that I may end up doing!

Door to door my journey at the moment (when I have to go to the office) is 2 hours, ie, from closing my front door to sitting down at my desk! But then this isn't every day and inbetween I get to work at home. Unless I get lucky in Sydney I'll probably have to commute every day.

Be interested to hear from anybody.

Tracy
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:13 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody commute from Central Coast to Sydney CBD?

hiya tracy

I'm Andy and an Australian from the central coast

Not that long ago someone asked exactly the same question as you and I provided an in depth answer.

I'll dig it out for you and post it here somewhere!

It really depends on what part of the coast you are looking at living - if you are living near to the freeway/railway and towards the southern part of the central coast (Woy Woy/Umina/Gosford or perhaps even Tuggerah) then you could probably do it in an hour and a half! the closer to to the beach and further north you go the longert the commute!!

I'll post some details here in a bit.....hang on.....
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:18 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another thread that was in relation to schools/commute times etc from Central Coast.

Where/when will you be heading to CC??

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454101
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Here is another thread that was in relation to schools/commute times etc from Central Coast.

Where/when will you be heading to CC??

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454101
Thanks Andy

Must have missed this thread - unusual for me as I always seem to be on here at the moment - craving information!!

We leave the UK on 1 August and will be staying with cousins in Phegan's Bay for the first few weeks while we find our feet! We love that part of the world and so do our kids (boy aged 13 and girl aged 8). They are of course our main priority and as long as they settle then we will (I hope!). We have been looking around Umina Beach, Woy Woy, Blackwall, St Hubert's Island, Ettalong areas - so any thoughts you have would be good! At one point we were toying with the idea of Avoca Beach but I feel that that adds just a bit too much on to the journey!

Tracy

Last edited by MurphFam; Jul 17th 2007 at 8:23 am. Reason: Amended text
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:31 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Thanks Andy

We leave the UK on 1 August and will be staying with cousins in Phegan's Bay for the first few weeks while we find our feet! We love that part of the world and so do our kids (boy aged 13 and girl aged 8). They are of course our main priority and as long as they settle then we will (I hope!). We have been looking around Umina Beach, Woy Woy, Blackwall, St Hubert's Island, Ettalong areas - so any thoughts you have would be good! At one point we were toying with the idea of Avoca Beach but I feel that that adds just a bit too much on to the journey!

Whereabouts are you originally from? And what you doing in the UK?

Tracy
Hiya,

I'm from Terrigal! Grew up on th NSW Mid North Coast and moved to terrigal after uni. Best place in the world!

How did I end up in the uK?? Long story - its OK though, don't panic - I'm moving back home in August and will be settled back into terrigal by October - job etc lined up! Really looking forward to getting back to some sunshine and a bit more of a relaxed way of life!

My girlfriend is englsh so that was poart of the reason I movedhere - we are both dual citizens so can come and go as we like so we sorta live half half really.

All the areas you have suggested seem reasonable - depending on what you are after in terms of house etc! I know exactly your point regarding Avoca - its a LOVELY place but does add about 20 mins to a journey to just about anywhere (30 in rush hour)!

St Hubert's Island - NICE!!! can I come park my yacht at your place if you live there???? Costs me a fortune to keep it moored at the yacht club

There are a few threads on here regarding people that are moving to the coast and some comments on a range of topics! I have also met quite a few people moving to the coast late this year early next year - many with young families! they all seem nice!

Here is another previous post where CC was discussed:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465602

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!! I've lived on the coast long enough to know just about every street!!

A
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Hiya,

I'm from Terrigal! Grew up on th NSW Mid North Coast and moved to terrigal after uni. Best place in the world!

How did I end up in the uK?? Long story - its OK though, don't panic - I'm moving back home in August and will be settled back into terrigal by October - job etc lined up! Really looking forward to getting back to some sunshine and a bit more of a relaxed way of life!

My girlfriend is englsh so that was poart of the reason I movedhere - we are both dual citizens so can come and go as we like so we sorta live half half really.

All the areas you have suggested seem reasonable - depending on what you are after in terms of house etc! I know exactly your point regarding Avoca - its a LOVELY place but does add about 20 mins to a journey to just about anywhere (30 in rush hour)!

St Hubert's Island - NICE!!! can I come park my yacht at your place if you live there???? Costs me a fortune to keep it moored at the yacht club

There are a few threads on here regarding people that are moving to the coast and some comments on a range of topics! I have also met quite a few people moving to the coast late this year early next year - many with young families! they all seem nice!

Here is another previous post where CC was discussed:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465602

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!! I've lived on the coast long enough to know just about every street!!

A
Thanks Andy - you've been great so far - given me lots to read!

I think I started to have a bit of panic yesterday as we were reading the local newspaper online and it was going on about commuting being one of the causes of violence, crime and child abuse!! And I'm feeling a bit wobbly at the moment as it is as at home on my own packing up the house so lots of time to think!! In my heart I know it will be fine but doesn't stop me worrying!!!

Will probaby be in touch - you'll be sorry you offered advice!!!

Tracy
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:39 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Thanks Andy - you've been great so far - given me lots to read!

I think I started to have a bit of panic yesterday as we were reading the local newspaper online and it was going on about commuting being one of the causes of violence, crime and child abuse!! And I'm feeling a bit wobbly at the moment as it is as at home on my own packing up the house so lots of time to think!! In my heart I know it will be fine but doesn't stop me worrying!!!

Will probaby be in touch - you'll be sorry you offered advice!!!

Tracy
"...commuting being one of the causes of violence, crime and child abuse" -

wow really!!

I suppose it does make the day longer etc!!

What do you do for a living - and your other half etc Is there the opportunity of working on the Coast somewhere?

Or perhaps northern sydney where the commmute might not be song long!?

Depends on what you dop I suppose - there are jobs on the central coast for select industries and certain trades - but not all!! And some people prefer to commute for better pay etc in the city!

Even if you are facinga commute of an hour and a half each way its so worth it to liveon the coast! I had an old housemate who commuted 90 minutes each way for ten years - said he'd never consider moving closer to his work cause he loved the weekends on the coast too much! He always said that we live in the place where peple PAY to come for weekends!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andy

Must have missed this thread - unusual for me as I always seem to be on here at the moment - craving information!!

Tracy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hello Tracy
Have you thought about Koolewong or Tascott or even Point Claire. Reasonable range of house prices, got their own railway stations, beautiful views, by the Brisbane Waters and reasonably close to shopping facilities. Handy for surf beaches at Terrigal 15/20 minutes by car etc or even Umina Ocean Beach if you want smaller waves!! Also pretty handy for Ettalong ferry to Palm Beach, I understand some people commute that way if they work in the Northern Beaches area. We live in Avoca Beach and its 20 minutes to the railway station at Woy Woy or Gosford, as you say its another 20 minutes!! Whether its worth it depends on where you will be working, places like Hornsby or Chatswood are certainly seem a better proposition than Sydney CBD. I could be corrected on this by veteran commuters!
Derek
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:35 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by DerekM
Thanks Andy

Tracy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hello Tracy
Have you thought about Koolewong or Tascott or even Point Claire. Reasonable range of house prices, got their own railway stations, beautiful views, by the Brisbane Waters and reasonably close to shopping facilities. Handy for surf beaches at Terrigal 15/20 minutes by car etc or even Umina Ocean Beach if you want smaller waves!! Also pretty handy for Ettalong ferry to Palm Beach, I understand some people commute that way if they work in the Northern Beaches area. We live in Avoca Beach and its 20 minutes to the railway station at Woy Woy or Gosford, as you say its another 20 minutes!! Whether its worth it depends on where you will be working, places like Hornsby or Chatswood are certainly seem a better proposition than Sydney CBD. I could be corrected on this by veteran commuters!
Derek

I think Derek probably sums it up pretty well! People try to minimise their commute from the central coast to CBD by getting work closer - or moving slightly closer, or working from home one day a week (I know a guy who works 4 ten hour days and has every Friday off!!.

Having said that there are a LOT (ie lots and lots) of people who do the commute daily - many having done it for years because they like the lifestyle of the central coast - even if that means spending an extra 15 hours a week stuck in the world of commuting!!

At least you won't be commuting 2 hours from the CBD to live in the western suburbs (Yuck!!)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Andy

Tracy
Hi Tracey
We were thinking along the same lines of Umina, Ettalong - very difficult with all the good/bad reviews on the area but I guess that goes with anywhere. Have been speaking to a NZ couple who have just bought in Ettalong - they moved from renting in Manly so it can't be that bad there.
At the same time have considered being nearer Sydney to reduce the commute and having possibly more around us - prices get higher the nearer you go really. It all depends on what we want - if it is the beach (as most brits see as the ideal) then the cental coast is better unless you are loaded.
Good luck with the move, we are only in the earlier stages and am already pullling my hair out.
John
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SafetyJohn
Hi Tracey
We were thinking along the same lines of Umina, Ettalong - very difficult with all the good/bad reviews on the area but I guess that goes with anywhere. Have been speaking to a NZ couple who have just bought in Ettalong - they moved from renting in Manly so it can't be that bad there.
At the same time have considered being nearer Sydney to reduce the commute and having possibly more around us - prices get higher the nearer you go really. It all depends on what we want - if it is the beach (as most brits see as the ideal) then the cental coast is better unless you are loaded.
Good luck with the move, we are only in the earlier stages and am already pullling my hair out.
John
Hello John

I think it much the same anywhere - you'll get good and bad reviews depending on who you speak to and what they want out of life versus what you want out of life! It's a bit like when we were looking for secondary schools for our son - you hear about the good results, facilities etc and then you hear from others about bad results, bullying etc and in the end you normally end up going on your own instinct!! To be honest it's no different than if we had to move in the UK from down South to up North - we wouldn't have a clue and would be going through the same emotions! Just that those emotions seem to be heightened when it's 12,000 miles away!!!

We are fairly open minded and pragmatic about the situation and if we choose an area and it ends up not being right then we'll move!!

Right - better get on - much to do - we leave 2 weeks today!!!

Tracy
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:52 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be interested to hear of how you find the journey, trains, time travelling etc as this is something that I may end up doing!

Door to door my journey at the moment (when I have to go to the office) is 2 hours, ie, from closing my front door to sitting down at my desk! But then this isn't every day and inbetween I get to work at home. Unless I get lucky in Sydney I'll probably have to commute every day.

Be interested to hear from anybody.

Tracy
I used to commute from Copacabana to the CBD. roghly 2 hrs each way. I drove to Woy Woy and caught the train.

Parking at the station can be real hard at certain times so do some research to get yourself a plan and a some fall-back parking locations.

If you get a seat (you'll have to work out where to stand on the platform to get the most empty carriage) you can relax and read the paper on the way. On the earlier trains some people sleep on the way to work.

Coming home I would often sleep and I would wake up as soon as the train went into the woy woy tunnel. I didn't need an alarm... would just wake up.

It can get tiring.

Research the various ticket deals. You'll find that if you get a ticket that covers a long period of time the individual journey costs decrease.

I now live in Canberra and my commute is so short it is almost over before it begins
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by copa
I used to commute from Copacabana to the CBD. roghly 2 hrs each way. I drove to Woy Woy and caught the train.

Parking at the station can be real hard at certain times so do some research to get yourself a plan and a some fall-back parking locations.

If you get a seat (you'll have to work out where to stand on the platform to get the most empty carriage) you can relax and read the paper on the way. On the earlier trains some people sleep on the way to work.

Coming home I would often sleep and I would wake up as soon as the train went into the woy woy tunnel. I didn't need an alarm... would just wake up.

It can get tiring.

Research the various ticket deals. You'll find that if you get a ticket that covers a long period of time the individual journey costs decrease.

I now live in Canberra and my commute is so short it is almost over before it begins
Thanks for that!!

Got cousin and her hubby doing the commute currently from Woy Woy so hopefully they will have worked out where to stand to get a seat!!! Funny isn't how we do that - I used to be the same going to Richmond every day - not to get a seat but to get off right near the exit!!!

And lucky you with having a short commute now! Do you miss being near the sea?

Tracy
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

SafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura aboutSafetyJohn has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that!!

Got cousin and her hubby doing the commute currently from Woy Woy so hopefully they will have worked out where to stand to get a seat!!! Funny isn't how we do that - I used to be the same going to Richmond every day - not to get a seat but to get off right near the exit!!!

And lucky you with having a short commute now! Do you miss being near the sea?

Tracy
Hi
So how long are we saying the journey from Woy Woy is to the CBD. Just to be sure.
Thanks
John