Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools around Terrigal areas.

Schools around Terrigal areas.

Old May 29th 2007, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Hayes is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Schools around Terrigal areas.

Hi, can anyone tell me what the primary / secondary schools are like (and pre school) and perhaps recommend any in the Terrigal/Wamberal/North Avoca areas as this is where we'll most likely settle, we have 3 children of 4, 7 and 10 and the two older ones are quite shy so it's very important to us to know. Many thanks
Old May 29th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

emmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really nice
Default Re: Schools around Terrigal areas.

Originally Posted by Hayes
Hi, can anyone tell me what the primary / secondary schools are like (and pre school) and perhaps recommend any in the Terrigal/Wamberal/North Avoca areas as this is where we'll most likely settle, we have 3 children of 4, 7 and 10 and the two older ones are quite shy so it's very important to us to know. Many thanks
Hi there

I don't know what the schools are like but we are hoping to settle there too. We're off to do a reccie on the 19th June, and we'll ask around and see what we can find out. We have an 18 month old so we'll also be interested in nursery and pre-schools too. So if you've had no replies in the meantime I'll post you on my return.
Deb x
Old May 29th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

rebh will become famous soon enoughrebh will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emmo
Hi there

I don't know what the schools are like but we are hoping to settle there too. We're off to do a reccie on the 19th June, and we'll ask around and see what we can find out. We have an 18 month old so we'll also be interested in nursery and pre-schools too. So if you've had no replies in the meantime I'll post you on my return.
Deb x
Hi Deb,
We are off to Saratoga in Oct/Nov and I have also been trying to find out info on nursery and pre-schools so I look forward to your post as I'm keen to find any information that may help.
Rebecca
Old May 29th 2007, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by emmo
Hi there

Deb x
Hi Deb, thanks for your reply, I'd really appreciate what you can find out, thanks. Seamus & Lisa
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:39 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello you guys!

I just come accross this thread on the forum!

I am an Australian and from Terrigal (small world huy) so I will post some stuff about schools inthe coming days!

I am currenlty living in the UK but moving back to Terrigal in August Sept and taking my english girlfriend with me! She is a Primary school teacher so you never know, soon she may actually be teaching your kids!!!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions at all about terrigal - I know the area well!!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Andy.
It is great to have contact with someone who is from the area we are looking to settle. As well as any general info about the schools, it would also be useful to know the following-

Likely commute times to northern suburbs of Sydney.

Areas around Terrigal to avoid for anti social reasons.

Areas to avoid that are liable to flooding.

General amenities.

Many thanks for any info. Seamus + Lisa.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:41 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Seamus and Lisa (and others)

sorry for the delay in my reply – was busy at work late last week and early this week!

Right – I’ll try to answer your questions in the order you asked about TERRIGAL

COMMUTE TIMES

There is a direct train service from Gosford to central Sydney that takes about an hour and a half (bit less on a good day). So if you live in Gosford and work in the Sydney city centre its probably not too bad a journey. The problem comes in getting from wherever you live on the central coast to Gosford and depends on what times you’ll be working. For example, it could take you close to an hour on some days to drive from Terrigal to Gosford station in rush hour. Many people do the journey from places like the Entrance, Terrigal,l Avoca (and all the places in between) across to either Tuggerah or Gosford to catch the train to Sydney (and monay other drive to parts of Sydney) - So the roads can be quite busy! The other problem is that if you don’t work in the centre of the city (or somewhere along the rail line near to a station) then it could be a bit of hassle at the other end as well!

I know people that live in Terrigal and work in the city and they allocate a little more than 2 hours each way – this could obviously be reduced if you lived at Gosford or somewhere nearer to the station. (I wouldn’t want to live in Gosford – I’ll get onto that in a bit). If you worked odd hours (started really early and finished early) then perhaps you could miss the major rush hours and improve that a little bit – but probably not by much. The problem with working odd hours is that the trains don’t run as frequently outside peak hours!

The commute can be done – but you need to put some thought into it! And its not that big a deal really. My last job was only about 30 mints from terrigal, but the new job I am going back to will be about an hour and a bit each way (depending on whether I get up early enough to miss rush hour). But at the end of the week its SOOO worth it. My last place (don’t have it anymore) weas literally opposite the beach – so those long drives to work are well worth it when it comes to Friday evening and your out on the deck looking at the waves, drink in hand, knowing that you’ll have a weekend on the beach whilst others are stuck out in the suburbs!!

If you are looking at specific places to live then let me know and I can give you a run down on likely commute times or short-cuts along back roads etc. I can probably give you a good idea how long it would take in rush hour to get from A to B etc.

PLACES TO AVOID

In all honesty – it works like this – anywhere on the coast, where houses are expensive, are generally not going to have any major social problems. If it was me looking (and I am looking currently for a new house) then I would be sticking to the areas from Avoca/North Avoca/Terrigal, Wamberal/Forresters Beach, Shelly Beach, Bateau Bay and so on – There are not that many ‘bad’ areas but there are of course (like anywhere) bad patches. So you could easily get somewhere in Erina, East Gosford, Tumbi Umbi (very nice semi- rural housing) and I would consider them all to be pretty good – just have a look at the houses nearby and that will determine how ‘nice’ an area is.

Even places like Woy Woy and Umina, which used to be considered a little rough, are generally quite good now.

Gosford is the one area I wouldn’t want to live – despite being close to the train station Gosford has really stagnated over the last few decades – it really needs a bit re-development and although I think some investor money is coming in it will take a while before its reputation can be repaired. I wouldn’t want my kids wandering the main street of Gosford.

There are generally 2 main centres for entertainment/restaurants etc. One is Terrigal, the other is the Entrance. These appears to be the main two gathering points for people on weekends – although it depends what your interests are. The good thing about the central coast is that you are within an hour or so of everything – you can be in Sydney for a day out in a few hours, Somersby Falls, The Watagan State Forest, The Beachs, Brisbane Water, Newcastle – whether you like surfing, kayaking, camping, walking, swimming, sailing, ruinning, mountain biking or sitting on your arse whilst the missus cooks dinner you’ll LOVE the lifestyle of the central coast!

It is the only place I have ever been to where you can be having lunch in one of the biggest shipping centres in Australia (Erina Fair) and then an hour later you can be sitting on a deserted beach by yourself (Maitland Bay). I have been to the snowfields in early October and skied for 3 days, driven home and gone to the beach! Where else in the world can you do that!?!?

Before moving to England I had so many ‘boys toys’ it wasn’t funny! You will need a kayak, a surfboard, some body-boards for the kids some snorkelling equipment and camping gear! Oh, and for the winter you are more than welcome to join me on my yearly few trips to the ski fields (a short 9 hour drive away)! Basically, you will have the best of everything!

Also, days out are cheap! After the initial costs of buying a surfboard, snorkelling gear or mountain bike, you and that family can be out every weekend doing something different for next to no cost!!

AREAS THAT ARE LIABLE TO FLOODING

In Australia areas that are liable to flooding are tightly controlled in terms of development. In housing for example, no habitable room of a dwelling is permitted to be below 1:100 flood level (1 in 100 year flood level is the level of flooding that can, statistically, be expended to occur one year in every hundred). Why did you ask this specific question? Is it something that you are concerned about in terms of buying a property.

If so, then there are some things built into Australian legislation that will help you out!

All Council’s in NSW produce a certificate called a Section 149 Certificate – this is something issued under Section 149 of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act. Basically, it is a certificate that will list for you all of the policies and documents that affect the land. So, if the Council has a policy relating to cutting down of trees, it will be listed on the certificate. If the land has been identified as zoned for future commercial development, it will be noted on the certificate. If the land is identified in a Council policy as being subject to flooding …you guessed it, it will be on the certificate. etc

Now, anyone can go into Council and buy one of these certificates for a parcel of land. AND anyone who is selling any parcel of land (or house or whatever) MUST, by law, provide one as part of the contract for sale. So if you are looking at a house to buy, and you are concerned that it may look like its subject to flooding, or you think there might be some other issues, then ask the estate agent for a copy of the S.149 certificate – they will usually have it! If there is anything on the Section 149 certificate that concerns you, then go to the Council and ask to speak to someone who can explain it! Or you might find the answer on the internet (if the 149 certificate says that the land is affected by a Tree Preservation Order, for example, that Council may have a copy of that policy/document online that you can view).

Alternatively, you can get your solicitor to check out any of these issues through formal channels before you proceed with the purchase. Does that all make sense?!? If you need any clarification on this then let me know (I am a Town Planner).

GENERAL AMENITIES

Not sure what this refers to ?! Depends on where you live. There are generally little corner stores and little schools and a pub/restaurant or two close to most residential areas. Other than that there are numerous shopping places etc within an easy drive.

Other than the restaurants and eating places etc in The Entrance and Terrigal there are HEAPS scattered around the place – lots of local eatieries and café’s – especially near the beaches. All the beaches have surf clubs that you can join – you’ll have to do your bronze medallion if you want to be a patrolling life guard (voluntary). If you are a strong swimmer and fit then this is a good way to meet people. Often members are long term locals who know everyone else and they are often welcoming. If you don’t think you’d trust yourself rescuing someone then maybe your kids can join as juniors! It really does add to the lifestyle being a surf club member – and there are lots of social things to do and lots of people to meet!

SCHOOLS

The following website has a list of schools on the central coast – have a look through and see what you can find – most have websites and you can search them out on the internet. I don’t have kids so can’t comment on which ones are the best schools although I would presume that most of the ones along the coastal fringe would be very nice.

http://www.thecentralcoast.org/facilities/schools.html

Perhaps find the ones nearest to where you may be living and see if you can do some research! If you likve, once you have a few schools that you consider to look OK I can ask some friends etc and see what inside into I can find!

Hope this all helps, if you have any other questions please let me know

A
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

rebh will become famous soon enoughrebh will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot for your post, it was interesting to read and there was lots of useful information in it.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebh
Thanks a lot for your post, it was interesting to read and there was lots of useful information in it.
My god where are you all coming from expats will rule the coast soon. Check out the meet ups forum as we have regular meet ups now.

Just to add, we live in Umina and love it. We have not had one problem with violence or anything at all. There are some rougher parts but generally the area is good. I think because its older and under developed it can loook a little rough and the commute from Woy Woy station into Sydeny is just over an hour on the fast train (4 stops only). As the previous person said its the bit from home to the station. Luckily we lived only a 5 min drive from it. Hubby now drives as he works in North Ryde.

Jo
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:38 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by joho
My god where are you all coming from expats will rule the coast soon. Check out the meet ups forum as we have regular meet ups now.

Just to add, we live in Umina and love it. We have not had one problem with violence or anything at all. There are some rougher parts but generally the area is good. I think because its older and under developed it can loook a little rough and the commute from Woy Woy station into Sydeny is just over an hour on the fast train (4 stops only). As the previous person said its the bit from home to the station. Luckily we lived only a 5 min drive from it. Hubby now drives as he works in North Ryde.

Jo

Actually Umina would be a pretty good place to live if you have a family and commute - not too far from Woy Woy station and you have Umina Beach which is very sheltered by broken bay so good for the kids! Umina used to be regarded as a bit of a dump, buit as places on the coast get more and more expensive it has seen a lot of people move in and renovate the houses so its getting better and better. Plus you can still pick up a decent house there fore reasonable money and its a little bit of a shorter commute into the city. Not sure what the schools or anything are like there so maybe someone else can comment on that!??

Like I said before, I am an Aussie from terrigal - so if anyone has info they want to know for the central coast then let me know!

A
Old Jul 4th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

I used to live in East Gosford and the primary school there is very nice indeed. My eldest went to Henry Kendall which is in Gosford, and got on very well. I had a friend at Empire Bay, who also sent her children to East Gosford.

Woy Woy school looks nice, my youngest was going to go there when we lived at Daley's Point, but circumstances dictated we had to come back to blighty at that point.

Religious schools are very popular there, as it's a way of getting private education without the huge fees. It's not easy to get in them though but you might want to investigate.

We all loved our life on the Central Coast, and I'm certain your family will too! Q
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Great thread!
We are aiming to be in Avoca Beach at the end of this year, from UK.
Gaz
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:59 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Cool, another one moving to my home town!!

Have you got a place sorted in Avoca!?!? Or you just thinking anywhere in that area! Avoca is a nice little place - far enough away from everythign to still feel like a small community, close enough to have everything you need. Great beach and ideal point break for the kids to learn to surf (watch the rip that always develops slightly to the north though). If you get a house in the right location its got great views to the north as well - looking along towards north avoca and the Skillion.

Plus you are so close to places like Maitland Bay and Box Head - If you like walking and love spectacular scenery you'll never get bored!!

If you've not seen my other posts I'm an Australian from Terrigal - moved to the uK 3 years ago and headig back in August (bring on some actual sunshine!!)

Andy
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Cool, another one moving to my home town!!

Have you got a place sorted in Avoca!?!? Or you just thinking anywhere in that area! Avoca is a nice little place - far enough away from everythign to still feel like a small community, close enough to have everything you need. Great beach and ideal point break for the kids to learn to surf (watch the rip that always develops slightly to the north though). If you get a house in the right location its got great views to the north as well - looking along towards north avoca and the Skillion.

Plus you are so close to places like Maitland Bay and Box Head - If you like walking and love spectacular scenery you'll never get bored!!

If you've not seen my other posts I'm an Australian from Terrigal - moved to the uK 3 years ago and headig back in August (bring on some actual sunshine!!)

Andy
Hi Andy,
Money will be the factor on the exact spot, but we are aiming for Avoca, with Kincumber as next best. We'll be renting for at least a year, so hopefully something will be available when we begin looking.
As you describe Avoca is as I remember it (from a weekend spent when I lived in Sydney in the 90's), what all research tells us, and one of my best mates from UK lives there now also.
I regularly watch the Avoca surfcam on www.coastalwatch.com
Can't wait!
Cheers
Gaz
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:48 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Well make sure you stay in contact!

Me and my (english) girlfriend are heading back in August - should be settled back into Terrigal by October. I used to live opposite the beach (near the little roundabout at Terrigal Pub/off licence - was nice living opposite the beach - I haven't got that place anymore but we are going to try and get something in that area again - as close to the beach as we can before we have to put too many zero's on the cheque!!!

Keep your eye on this website:

www.realestate.com.au

which has properties to rent and buy - can give you an idea on how much things are going for etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.