Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Actually, all this talk of people arriving etc begs a question (or two). Is there anybody from the UK that currently lives in the Aussie equivalent of MQ's? If so, what are they like? I don't imagine anything like the Ritz - just trying to be realistic. If people aren't using MQ's, why not?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We are in MQ's but living in Sydney is quite different I am told to living in MQ's in other parts of the country. The houses here are much smaller but we have a townhouse/unit and it is great. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, utility room and a study. A small courtyard and double basement/garage which is all electric gated. We are in Maroubra (about 15-20 minute commute to the city) and for us it is great. This costs us $180 a week.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:49 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nick and Sara
Actually, all this talk of people arriving etc begs a question (or two). Is there anybody from the UK that currently lives in the Aussie equivalent of MQ's? If so, what are they like? I don't imagine anything like the Ritz - just trying to be realistic. If people aren't using MQ's, why not?
Although husband not in the Navy (Army) our MQ is nice. We have a 4 bedroomed detached with a garden and garage. All the MQ's on our camp are detached. We are in an older one (built about 1990) but most of the others are all brand new. No complaints about MQ's here!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:53 am
Just Joined

ponym110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Finally after nearly 2 years of chasing our dream we fly in November to Sydney. It's being quite a roller coaster of a journey and although we haven't had any major hiccups everything just seemed to take forever. We had our DCO interview Jun 07 and didn't receive TOS until Jan 08.

After being told from the beginning i would be going to Melbourne we have at virtually the last minute been told we are now going to Sydney. Flights/removals etc have been changed but we just haven't researched Sydney at all.

Any Help/advice would be very much appreciated. DHA have been in contact so hopefully housing will be straight forward but what areas should we be looking at as i've read travelling can be painful. I'll be based at WATERHEN in Waverton.

Phil
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Something to be aware of, the Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme

http://www.dhoas.gov.au/www/html/513-what-is-dhoas.asp

There is a qualification period, and the intent is for it to be a retention tool. As always, it will also have an effect on Fringe Benefit Tax....and assessable income.

Cheers,

John
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

lateral recruits automatically quailify for tier 1 ($352 a month) we are just waiting for the paperwork to arrive, its so much more relaxed out here in the west, no friday afternoon work, or traffic!
been here 10 months now getting quite settled
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wooders
lateral recruits automatically quailify for tier 1 ($352 a month) we are just waiting for the paperwork to arrive, its so much more relaxed out here in the west, no friday afternoon work, or traffic!
been here 10 months now getting quite settled
Mate,

That's better than a 'poke in the eye with a burnt stick!' I spent 23yrs 9mths in the ARA (Reg Army) and now I maintain a link through the ARES. Left the ARA to come to Afghanistan on contract in Jan 06....been working hard since then...bought a house in Mar 07...now one year to go in paying off a $450k mortgage.

I am working close to the ADF here in Tarin Kowt, and you should here all the Brit accents in ADF uniform. We have a number of Brit Army/RAF pers serving through here at different times. They hear a Brit accent and ask questions...I think the ADF is gaining more applicants all the time.....the Conditions of Service are hard to beat.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JR230898
Something to be aware of, the Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme

http://www.dhoas.gov.au/www/html/513-what-is-dhoas.asp

There is a qualification period, and the intent is for it to be a retention tool. As always, it will also have an effect on Fringe Benefit Tax....and assessable income.

Cheers,

John

Hmmm..bilt like LSAOP only...er...different. Same intent though - to encourage home ownership. Seems like a good idea.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Kerry and Kevin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we've been thinking about transferring to the RAN for a while but have no idea how to go about it. My Husband is Fleet Air Arm (Merlin/Seaking Engineer) and after looking on the RAN website looks like we should get HMAS Albatros-can anyone confirm this?
Do the RAN sort out married quarters for you when you arrive and do they pay anything for you to get there? We have heard so many rumours, so it would be nice to hear from someone that has actually done it or in the process of doing it.
We know you drop a rank but have heard you get this back after 12 months-is this true?
Also how hard it is to transport pets?
If you are able to answer even one of our questions we would be grateful, Thanks for your time, Kerry and Kev

Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kerry and Kevin...I have sent you a PM. If you wish to reply you will have to make a couple more posts. Say hello or comment on a thread or two or something...You can read your PM's by clicking on the link at the top right of the screen...
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Hi Nick and Sara, Thanks for your quick response
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Hi Nick and Sara, thanks for your help, we have just sent an email to him so hopefully he will be able to answer the endless list of questions we have!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nick and Sara
We have just moved into our MQ, Waikiki WA, & its really nice - infact we dont have enough furniture to fill it. We have a 4 bed 2 bath corner plot with a nice sized garden. The only bit I dont like is the blinds 0 they love them here, but thats it!!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flo&mags
We have just moved into our MQ, Waikiki WA, & its really nice - infact we dont have enough furniture to fill it. We have a 4 bed 2 bath corner plot with a nice sized garden. The only bit I dont like is the blinds 0 they love them here, but thats it!!
Imagine that! Being able to say "I live in Waikiki"...brilliant. I suppose you can always stick a train set in the spare room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.