any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Steve WEM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by touareg
Hi Steve

Tip Number 1 - DO NOT consider laser eye surgery as a means of meeting the requirements as this will almost certainly cause problems with the ADF medical later on.

Tip Number 2 - Get your application in and don't worry about the eyesight requirement at this stage.

I went through exactly what you're experiencing now ie. my eyesight fell short of the MVR. However, I passed the ADF medical on a waiver with no problems whatsoever. Bottom line - if the ADF wants you, there are mechanisms in place to ensure that it gets you. Happy to discuss further if required. Good luck!

Touareg
Touareg, thanks for the reply, and thanks to Paddyo as well. That's really good news!
Would it be possible to send a personal message, to help with a few queries regarding this? Cheers, Steve.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

touareg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve WEM
Touareg, thanks for the reply, and thanks to Paddyo as well. That's really good news!
Would it be possible to send a personal message, to help with a few queries regarding this? Cheers, Steve.
No problem Steve - fire away!

Touareg
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:54 am
Just Joined

salal is an unknown quantity at this point

First off hi to all, this is the first time on this site and must say the first time we have really got our heads around getting out of the RN and transferring over. So if there is any one that can give us some feed back about life in the Aussie Navy with a family of 2 children very early teens, 1 dog, my husband and myself that would be great.

Many thanks Salal
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nev_n_angie
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope all are well - for those here and on their way!??

OK - Money for travel etc from the AHC - Plenty! London - we haveto get dinner - there's a Tesco's Metro across the road from the hotel - they sell all sorts and the Wine is good!!! The bar in the hotel is normal London Hotel Prices. Additionally - there are a few restaurants around that you can go to - Breakfast is supplied on the morning you fly - AND IT'S A MASSIVE ONE! It's buffet style type thing. Lunch - we made do with sandwiches and then made the most of the business class when we got there.

As for KL - food is really cheap in the local places - depending on where you're staying - we stayed in the Sunway and Breakfast was, again, MASSIVE!!!!

There are a few places across the road from the hotel - cheap and cheerful - good food.

When you get to Australia - TAASA - it's complicated - call the OAC in your area - they will give you a full breakdown of what your entitlements are and when you'll get them.

Hope this helps!!!

All OK here at the moment - weather warming up - kids sorted in School and have better social lives than we do!!!!!!!1

I've got a job - and Nev has been all over - Perth last week and Brissie tomorrow!

All is good

Angie
Hi is this Angie and Nev from Fort Terrace Plymouth!!!!! If so it would be great to hear from you as you have a few things you may be able to ans.

Salal x
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wooders
Hi all

I have sent a Pm to Jennie with our update so far.

As you said it is a long road with many mountains to climb! We made it and are still here... almost 6 months now, not the easiest with 2 teenage kids! This site was a real help with making contacts.... don't bank on the RAN for big support as it didn't really happen. You kinda get on with life and meet people along the way.. Working helps to make and meet friends but If you have young kids you'll meet people through school etc.
It's a great place to bring up kids loads of opportunities but you have to work hard at meeting people and making friends. I am in contact with Josie and she is having a fab time in Sydney... well apart from her new white tailed friends!!! She's now working full time in a posh school! and enjoying it.

Be patient with the RAN they aren't the fastest card in the pack! As you said it's an adventure and an opportunity not to miss. Good luck to you all
Hi Just looking through this site trying to find out lots about moving from RN to RAN. Hubbie in RN and wanting to go over just starting with process would like to pick your brains about kids we have 2 young teenages and that really is what we need to find out about. Schools, life, being accepted etc. Did see that you have got teenages and thought you could put some like on things for us. Many thanks Salal
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

acidburns69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hutchy
Hi, I joined the RAN 3 years ago today. I served in the RN for 24 years leaving in Sep 03 as a CPO(C) Although I still refer to myself as a CRS. Anyway please send a private message and I can give you a mass of info if you require and would only be too glad to help.

Yours Aye

Terry
Hi, I am currently serving in the RN as an LAET. I am very interested in leaving/transfering to join the Australian Navy! I would be very greatfull for any info about how to get the ball rolling, who to talk to and what I need to do to get out there! I will be married before I get there, what do my partner and I need to do so she can come over with me? She isnt in the Navy.

Yours Aye

Nathan
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough

So anyway, it has taken a while to get my medical docs together but I finally completed the 'package' this week and stuffed them in the post on Friday.

After the missus had been to the post office, she returned home to find that the postman had been and left a yellow envelope from the nice naval authorities in Canberra.

Blimey! That was fast work....however....

The letter was to inform us that all applications have been suspended due to changes in the labour agreement. Seemingly it will all be sorted out soon however if we'd had the letter 10 mins earlier we'd have sent our package overland and saved a veritable fortune!!

Still, fingers crossed for when they start processing 'stuff' again.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

general67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Hi, I've been thinking about transferring to the RAN for a while but have no idea how to go about it.
I am a WO2 Marine Engineer (HV Qualified) and was wondering where to get correct and up to date information on the whole process.
Do the RAN sort out married quarters for you when you arrive and do they pay anything for you to get there?
I have heard lots of rumours and it would be nice to hear from someone that has actually done it or in the process of doing it. Positive and negative feedback is appreciated to help get a balanced view.
I have heard that it is normal to drop a rank but you get this back after 12 months-is this true?
What is there over there for universities as by the time I estimate this to go through my sons will have completed A levels.
If you are able to answer even one of my questions I would be grateful, Thanks for your time.
Chris
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Nick and Sara will become famous soon enoughNick and Sara will become famous soon enough

Hi General - you have PM. You might have to make another post to use this facility. Just acknowledge this one...
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nick & Sara, thanks for the reply, I will hopefully be able toi view it now.....
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by general67
Hi Nick & Sara, thanks for the reply, I will hopefully be able toi view it now.....
Got that, thanks very much. I will have to drop him a line. Do you know what changes in labour laws they are looking at ? and do you think it will affect a transfer ??
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

I really don't know what the changes will be. Seemingly there will be an announcement on or before the First of November. I guess all will be revealed then. It's effecting transfers now as they are beinmg delayed until things are clarified....not sure yet how it will effect transfers later...have to see what the result is.

Last edited by Nick and Sara; Oct 6th 2008 at 3:19 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Does or has anyone transferred to Australia with kids over 18, if I go, my lads will be 17 and 18 and was wondering if this would be a problem for them. I was looking at taking them out with me when they have done their A levels.
Also, Do you know if you can request which area to serve in or do they just post you like here in the UK........ I was hoping to go to Sydney
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:11 am
Just Joined

ponym110 is an unknown quantity at this point

I go over in a months time so i've been through most of the process and you should be ok with the lads but mine are a couple of years younger. think the visa gets a bit more complicated once they are 18.

As far as postings go i was told Melbourne and Perth for most of my process and then at the last minute thats changed to Sydney. Small ships WE WO2 so i'm going into their MW world.

Don't worry about quarters mate, they well and truly look after you but i'll reserve final judgement until i get there.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ponym110
I go over in a months time so i've been through most of the process and you should be ok with the lads but mine are a couple of years younger. think the visa gets a bit more complicated once they are 18.

As far as postings go i was told Melbourne and Perth for most of my process and then at the last minute thats changed to Sydney. Small ships WE WO2 so i'm going into their MW world.

Don't worry about quarters mate, they well and truly look after you but i'll reserve final judgement until i get there.
Thanks for the info, I am trying to get as much info together as possible. The lads are at an age when I need to keep talking to them to keep them in the picture. I will also need to look at their further education aswell when we get there, so much to do. Do you think it is worth contacting the embassy to find out ???
What Rate are you transferring across on ? I am an ME WO2. I have been led to believe that they ask you to drop 1 rate, is that right ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.