Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice
Default Re: any other folks transferring to the Aussie Navy

Originally Posted by hazel123
Hello Everyone

Update - Received an email from Trudi this morning as we had asked if we would be going direct to Perth.(hubby is submariner). Trudi has said we'll be going to Melbourne for 8 months for hubby's training and then onto Perth!!!! We're now in a quandry about what to do. We've got 2 girls, 10 and 7 who are a bit nervous about moving and I'm not happy about putting them in school in Melbourne for 8 months then having to unsettle them again by starting all over in Perth. Trying to think of all ways round this as we're really keen to come over. Looking at moving direct to Perth and me and the girls staying and getting settled there while o/h does training in Melbourne. It's not ideal as we don't know a soul and it's a scary thought being on my own for 8 months!! Anybody got any suggestions? My understanding from previous posts on this thread was this had caused problems in the past as people were getting settled in Melbourne and didn't cope well with the move to Perth. I thought they were trying to post direct to Perth with the training in Melbourne and Sydney as reqd.
Any suggestions or experiences will be gratefullly received

Hazel

I knew about this routine as our friends went through this in 2004. They were in Melbourne for 12 months in the end before transfering to Perth. They prefered Melbourne but there are no posts there unless you end up as an instructor.

They bought property in Melbourne and Perth and rented them out. Husband's is due to leave RAN soon and they are returning to Melbourne. They believe that had they not gone to Melbourne first they would have settled in Perth more easily. But it is each to their own.

It is a huge decision as to when and where to settle. We don't know what we are going to do yet - I guess we are concentrating our hopes in getting accepted into RAN but we have to be prepared for this event. I hope we get some insight from the others who have gone ahead.

All the best

Gina
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Hi Hazel
We were very fortunate to come straight to Perth so didn't have to move after 8 months as that had been a big concern for me especially as we had teenagers. I think you'll be fine if you have to go to Melbourne first as your children are younger they are easier to settle than older kids. When we came over last October we met a submariner family who came directly here. I guess they aren't really set up for the training over here so that's why they have gone back to sending the guys to Melbourne. There are are loads of families here who will offer support don't worry about being on your own. I know a family who are coming over hopefully in September with young girls, I'm not sure if they've been told they are going to Melbourne or not (he's not submariner so maybe they will come here first) I'm sure a get together can be arranged for when you arrive especially if a few families are arriving in September. It seems they have moved to specific entry dates now so you'll probably make contacts when you get to London to sign on.

Try not to stress over it and if you do go to Melbourne enjoy the experience as it's expensive to travel from Perth (that's a positive I guess .

Good luck with your move you'll be fine.

Hello Everyone

Update - Received an email from Trudi this morning as we had asked if we would be going direct to Perth.(hubby is submariner). Trudi has said we'll be going to Melbourne for 8 months for hubby's training and then onto Perth!!!! We're now in a quandry about what to do. We've got 2 girls, 10 and 7 who are a bit nervous about moving and I'm not happy about putting them in school in Melbourne for 8 months then having to unsettle them again by starting all over in Perth. Trying to think of all ways round this as we're really keen to come over. Looking at moving direct to Perth and me and the girls staying and getting settled there while o/h does training in Melbourne. It's not ideal as we don't know a soul and it's a scary thought being on my own for 8 months!! Anybody got any suggestions? My understanding from previous posts on this thread was this had caused problems in the past as people were getting settled in Melbourne and didn't cope well with the move to Perth. I thought they were trying to post direct to Perth with the training in Melbourne and Sydney as reqd.
Any suggestions or experiences will be gratefullly received

Hazel
</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:53 am
Just Joined

hazel123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody

Thanks for your replies and pm's. We've got lots of planning and decisions to make over the next few month and it's good to know there are others out there having done it!
It would be great to have a meet in Perth when we actually get there as I'll be affectionately known as "Hazel no mates"!!!!!
Speak to you all soon.

Hazel
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Daisydora is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
I have been hanging around on this thread for a while, but only posted a few times. We have finally recieved an e-mail from Trudie to say my husband's medical stuff has been cleared and that she is working on his Terms of Service letter. Has anyone any idea of how long this next stage takes? We were really hoping to go with the September 08 lot, but that looks unlikely now. We really want to go before our daughter starts school here in September to avoid too much disruption for her.
It all seems a little more real now we have positive news; we seem to have had our lives on hold for the last year or so. It will be nice to look forward and make plans.

Sandra
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sandra

In the same position as yourself. Received an email from Trudi on 09/04 attaching o/hs TOS and advising original would come in post for his signature. As yet we haven't received it! Trudi had offered us September or january but we realistically thought September was a bit tight. She agreed that January may be a better option as it was when all the fuss was going on with the labour agreements. Like you I feel as if things have been on hold for us for a long time and it's good to start making plans. My understanding is that once the TOS letter is received and signed things move quite fast so it probably could be done for a September move - it's a big scary decision isn't it?

Anyway keep us updated with your progress and shout if you need any help.

Hazel

Originally Posted by Daisydora
Hi everyone
I have been hanging around on this thread for a while, but only posted a few times. We have finally recieved an e-mail from Trudie to say my husband's medical stuff has been cleared and that she is working on his Terms of Service letter. Has anyone any idea of how long this next stage takes? We were really hoping to go with the September 08 lot, but that looks unlikely now. We really want to go before our daughter starts school here in September to avoid too much disruption for her.
It all seems a little more real now we have positive news; we seem to have had our lives on hold for the last year or so. It will be nice to look forward and make plans.

Sandra
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Hi Hazel
Well my husband e-mailed Trudie to find out when she thought we would get out there and she said that January 09 was unlikely or though not impossible and that we are looking at September 09. I can't believe this. We started the process last May and although we knew it would take a long time I never for one minute thought it would be another 18 months.

The implications for this are not good. I am self employed and it obviously affects by business. My daughter is due to start school in September and I was hoping she wouldn't have to start here and my sons college course finishes in the summer. It means he won't be in full time education and therefore won't be able to come on our application unless he applies for another course.

Not happy today after being over joyed with Mondays news

Sandra
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Hiya

Well for once I have a moment to sit down. It is work, work, work and play play play with the gorgeous weather here at the weekends!!!

We have gone through the process for those that do not know us and for those that do, it is nearly our 6 months marker woohoo The process from our first inital email took us 17 months. I do understand that lots has changed and we have friends that are in the process now. I know the time frame for us took so many weeks between each stage and can understand how difficult this feels when you are going through it.

The process is such a rollercoaster and the word disruption is huge and will have a big impact. Our kids started school in the September in England and we flew out in the November to Australia. They then had nearly 3 months out of school and started the school year here in NSW the end of January.

I just want to say that the process at points took me to places that I never realised it would. Even if the time frame is way off the mark, it is a hard process and there are people that understand. We are living in Sydney and so far loving our new adventure. It was a hard journey getting here as our son has special needs, but we are here and living the outdoor life and having fun as we had hoped.

If you have any questins I will try and answer them as honestly as I possibly can!!

Tammy x
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Josie1100
Hiya

Well for once I have a moment to sit down. It is work, work, work and play play play with the gorgeous weather here at the weekends!!!

We have gone through the process for those that do not know us and for those that do, it is nearly our 6 months marker woohoo The process from our first inital email took us 17 months. I do understand that lots has changed and we have friends that are in the process now. I know the time frame for us took so many weeks between each stage and can understand how difficult this feels when you are going through it.

The process is such a rollercoaster and the word disruption is huge and will have a big impact. Our kids started school in the September in England and we flew out in the November to Australia. They then had nearly 3 months out of school and started the school year here in NSW the end of January.

I just want to say that the process at points took me to places that I never realised it would. Even if the time frame is way off the mark, it is a hard process and there are people that understand. We are living in Sydney and so far loving our new adventure. It was a hard journey getting here as our son has special needs, but we are here and living the outdoor life and having fun as we had hoped.

If you have any questins I will try and answer them as honestly as I possibly can!!

Tammy x
Can't believe u have almost done 6months - time flys.

flo.x
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Hiya

Tammy x

Hi Tammy
Thanks for those encouraging words and congratulations on finally getting over there. We knew it would be a long wait and were prepared for it, but we weren't really prepared for the long wait in between each step. My husbands medical forms were sent off in July and he has only just had them cleared for entry. My worry about my daughter is that she only just turns 4 in July and starts school in September here. I understand that she probably won't start school until she is 6 1/2 in Australia so she may have to do a term or 2 here and then take a backwards step. If we knew we were definitely going in January then I wouldn't start her here at all.

I know that it will be worth the wait and all the stress and anxiety, but we just want to get there now.

sandra
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:48 am

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

We went for our citizenship test on Saturday at the Immigration office. When we were there we realised that many changes had taken place with the Labour agreements. It appears that the new Government have made changes to the agreements?

Sorry that I have no more info and hope you get the answers you want to hear
You probably have all sorted things out by now but I thought I might add something anyway: We were warned about the Labour Agreement issue in March....seems it was all change as of Jan 1st, however it was only a month after that, that we had our Agreement approved! Things are moving now!!
With husband at sea...only managed to send off signed visa last week. All appendages now crossed!
Good Luck to you all!
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone

Just to say Terms of Service arrived in the post this morning along with a DVD! It's all very real now. Still aiming for January 09, all being well.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. Off to put a bottle of wine in the fridge for the DVD watch tonight - somehow I don't think it''ll be along the same lines as my usual DVD choice - but stranger things have happened!!!!

Hazel
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

flo&mags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Just to say Terms of Service arrived in the post this morning along with a DVD! It's all very real now. Still aiming for January 09, all being well.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. Off to put a bottle of wine in the fridge for the DVD watch tonight - somehow I don't think it''ll be along the same lines as my usual DVD choice - but stranger things have happened!!!!

Hazel
Let us know what the DVD is about - haven't had one of them!!

Enjoy hope u have the popcorn ready!!

Flo.X
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:06 pm

Bonzer Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daisydora
Hi Tammy
Thanks for those encouraging words and congratulations on finally getting over there. We knew it would be a long wait and were prepared for it, but we weren't really prepared for the long wait in between each step. My husbands medical forms were sent off in July and he has only just had them cleared for entry. My worry about my daughter is that she only just turns 4 in July and starts school in September here. I understand that she probably won't start school until she is 6 1/2 in Australia so she may have to do a term or 2 here and then take a backwards step. If we knew we were definitely going in January then I wouldn't start her here at all.

I know that it will be worth the wait and all the stress and anxiety, but we just want to get there now.

sandra
I know how you feel about the quandary re starting schools! When we first moved to Sydney my youngest son was 4, turning 5 in that November. He was ready for school!! When we arrived the state ed authority were adamant he couldn't start until January. BUT they did let the children start at 5 in NSW and that was in a public (government/state) school. At the end of our three year exchange job I had my eldest ready for UK high school having only completed half of year six. The youngest had only done half of year 2 so to speak and was about to start year 3 in a high achieving local school back in Devon....but both the boys were fine! The Aussies do start things later but they speed up gradually as they get towards high school. Then depending which state or territory you are in .... well....they do it slightly differently in high school!?
Do you know where you will be living when your husband is posted?

For one reason or another it has taken us far too long to transfer permanently (hopefully!?) Now I have the same nightmare about whether to start my youngest in high school here if things don't 'happen' on time. The RAN want my husband to start work in September!! Eek! My youngest boy really doesn't want to go to the local high school....and I have some sympathies. My eldest is at a great local independent boarding school...as a weekly boarder....but that is thanks to BSA. Of course 'terminal leave' means no more BSA! I feel terrible taking him out at the end of year 10. He wants to stay here in the UK and come to us in OZ during holidays! A none starter. Even if it were a viable proposition the timing would then disadvantage him big time downunder as far as his HSC is concerned and his prospects for a good Aussie university!

Wow! I didn't mean to download. Just wanted to empathize about school. With my husband at sea at the moment I am struggling to stay sane! I am trying to stay calm and organized, even putting together contingencies over here if the Visa is a no no. End of hysterical rant...honest!

When we lived over in there last we were lucky enough to travel all over Australia and New Zealand...came home broke but it was worth it. All the cities have something special and unique to offer...but I have to confess my heart and most of our Aussie friends live in Sydney.

Good luck to us all!
Old May 20th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

simmo 328 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

Just been reading this as I have just sent off my details for my initial application. Obviously we have a thousand questions to ask and we are sure the answers to these are out there amongst you guys. Realise that this can be a long and traumatic journey but we are sure it will be worth it in the end - can anyone confirm or deny? Additionally would be interested to hear from ex RN personnel who are now serving within the RAN as most of the posts on here seem to be from wives - is that because the blokes are busy at sea or are you too busy stood round the BBQ drinking tins, hopefully the later!!! There must be some major differences between the two services, some good and I'm sure some not so. Likewise there must be a lot of similarities. Looking forward to hearing from you all, please get in touch,

Simmo and Michelle
Old May 21st 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Originally Posted by simmo 328
Hi There

Just been reading this as I have just sent off my details for my initial application. Obviously we have a thousand questions to ask and we are sure the answers to these are out there amongst you guys. Realise that this can be a long and traumatic journey but we are sure it will be worth it in the end - can anyone confirm or deny? Additionally would be interested to hear from ex RN personnel who are now serving within the RAN as most of the posts on here seem to be from wives - is that because the blokes are busy at sea or are you too busy stood round the BBQ drinking tins, hopefully the later!!! There must be some major differences between the two services, some good and I'm sure some not so. Likewise there must be a lot of similarities. Looking forward to hearing from you all, please get in touch,

Simmo and Michelle

Hi Simmo

My husband said he'll send you a pm with his experience so far, warts and all! We've been here since October with the RAN. He's not been busy yet that's for sure but I'm sure it will change when they finally sort stuff out and get him to sea. There is difinitely no urgency to get that happening!!! Anyway he'll Pm with his experience.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.