Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Old May 11th 2010, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Hi there

Personally i preferred Paddo http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...NSW/Paddington but thats only because i used to live in Darlinghurst, the oxford street strip is a bit run down these days because of the westfield at Bondi junction, but its still got a funky feel and its good for the city and events, Centennial Park is just over the road. As for Balmain http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...ts/NSW/Balmain if you have the cash there are some very nice places down there, just ask Angus Young and Brian Brown and his missus, shame about the parking!

Bob
Old May 11th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I love Balmain, wouldn't live anywhere else but as others have said its rather pricey to live in (yep I'm one of those with a stupidly high mortgage but a big smile on my face too every time I get home).

With regard to schools my neighbours speak highly of Nicholson Street junior school and there is another junior school near Gladstone Park and one on Birchgrove Road, but I haven't got any kids either so can't speak personally.

Balmain has lots of little parks many of which contain playgrounds for smaller kids and I certainly feel it is a very safe area as you can't "pass through" Balmain as it is on a peninsular (from where I am there is only one road in & out).

We looked at Paddington but its even more expensive than Balmain and I felt it was more "designery" & pretentious and prefer Balmain's rough edges.

If you want to know more about Balmain it sounds like there are a few of us on here that know the area well.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob Tonnor
if you have the cash there are some very nice places down there, just ask Angus Young and Brian Brown and his missus, shame about the parking!
Angus Young doesn't live in Balmain but his brother Malcolm certainly doesn't have to worry about parking, his place has 2 double garages, along with the pool, tennis courts etc...

Last edited by spottydog; May 11th 2010 at 9:26 am. Reason: Corrected brother
Old May 11th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

I assume Balmain is not too far from the city by ferry/car? Anybody with kids of primary school age in the area?
Old May 11th 2010, 10:37 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sushimania
I assume Balmain is not too far from the city by ferry/car? Anybody with kids of primary school age in the area?
Balmain is a very nice and very desirable place to live that is very close to the CBD: 8 minutes by ferry to Circular Quay and not a lot more by bus to QVB/Town Hall. http://www.sydneyferries.info/timeta...ch-balmain.htm This is also why it's such an expensive place to live. Lots of professionals (lawyers/bankers) with families live there. On a peninsula = on the water (some of it). Nice main street.

Paddington is also a desirable neighbourhood but it's much more popular with DINKies (double income no kids) and gay couples in particular. You get smaller terraced houses and more emphasis on designery stuff.

Obviously - that's not to say that there aren't exceptions to both.