Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Old May 10th 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough
Default Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Anybody in Balmain (8km from Sydney) area? Do you if it is a nice area for families? What is it like? Thank you.
Old May 10th 2010, 11:41 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice
Default Re: Any input on Balmain, NSW area?

Originally Posted by Sushimania
Anybody in Balmain (8km from Sydney) area? Do you if it is a nice area for families? What is it like? Thank you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmain,_New_South_Wales
Old May 11th 2010, 12:19 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Balmain is a great area. Well it must be because I live there.

Great choice of restaurant, pubs and cafes. Great for families and close to the city. Well served by ferries and buses.

It is, however, very expensive for housing. Most houses at the moment are going for $1 Million+.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar

Great choice of restaurant, pubs and cafes. Great for families and close to the city. Well served by ferries and buses.

It is, however, very expensive for housing. Most houses at the moment are going for $1 Million+.

I agree. It's probably one of, if not the best suburb in Sydney - a great mix of location, lifestyle and facilities.

As his Lordship says, however, that does come at a price. A friend of mine has just paid $1.25m for a house in Balmain that is really only fit for bulldozing. Probably better value than the Eastern Suburbs though.

S
Old May 11th 2010, 2:08 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a nice place if you have a spare million plus bucks.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:18 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Sounds like a nice place if you have a spare million plus bucks.
Rents are not too far behind either.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Do you know what the public /private schools in the area are like? What about parks for kids? I want an easy, friendly neighborhood that is not too far from CBD. Thank you.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:47 am
Banned

Do you know what the public /private schools in the area are like? What about parks for kids? I want an easy, friendly neighborhood that is not too far from CBD. Thank you.
Sorry. No idea. I don't have kids or ever want them.

There are schools in the area but I am probably not the best person to ask.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

What about Balmain vs Paddington? Thanks.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:54 am
Banned

Although I personally love Paddington I would say it is more of a young professional area than Balmain and less family friendly. It is also expensive.

However, Paddington is more vibrant and there is a lot more to do. Balmain can be pretty dead at times.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Paddington is nice too, but also very, very expensive.

I don't think it's as nice as Balmnain - It is very inner city, and I think probably less family orientated. Seems to be mostly single and coupes with no kids. Parking is also a complete pain in the arse, and it is only serviced by buses - no trains. It does have the huge park next to it though, But I would choose Balmain myself.

S
Old May 11th 2010, 3:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I don't think it's as nice as Balmnain - It is very inner city, and I think probably less family orientated. Seems to be mostly single and coupes with no kids. Parking is also a complete pain in the arse, and it is only serviced by buses - no trains. It does have the huge park next to it though, But I would choose Balmain myself.

S
Are you my long lost twin?
Old May 11th 2010, 3:05 am
has lost The Game

Are you my long lost twin?

I'm starting to wonder...

S
Old May 11th 2010, 3:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Agreed. Balmain wins for me. Just wish it was still the rough and tumble place it used to be. I might be able to afford a house then.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:14 am
has lost The Game

Agreed. Balmain wins for me. Just wish it was still the rough and tumble place it used to be. I might be able to afford a house then.

I will just add that one thing Balmain isn't is suburban Australian living. The plots of land are small, the houses are smaller (obviously) and there isn't heaps of open space. Don't come here expecting to find 1/4 acre blocks and swimming pools.

That said, there are some nice parks, and the Dawn Fraser Pool is nice for a dip if you like that sort of thing. There are several Doctor's surgeries, some of which bulk bill, and there are more chemists than I have ever seen before in my life.

If you are looking for more space, then I would suggest looking at Drummoyne, just up Victoria Road.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.