Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ants-what kind are they?

Ants-what kind are they?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:42 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ants-what kind are they?

Originally Posted by Caroline G
I have been stung by a green ant in Cairns (think it was Cairns). I was walking on a nature strip and my toe went numb for a while.

When camping we pitched unknowing near an ants nest. My son was playing in the area and got an ant in his sandal. He was yelping, jumping, crying and really in pain. Some other campers came to help and gave us one of those insect bite sticks but he was still very much in pain. We saw the camp doc who sprayed a liquid on the bites and my son was instantly relieved. We had to keep in spraying every so often. What was in this miracle pain relieving liquid? - Vinegar and water. The doc said you can buy all these expensive things from the chemist but the best and cheapest thing to use is the vinegar and water (50/50 mix). He said it works for most bites except shark bites Apparently it neutralises the toxins in the bite.

When going out in bush area's I always pack my spray bottle of vinegar and water.

Top Tip!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hate ants!!!!!!!!

We live near the beach (uk) and because our house foundations are on sand the ants just love it. We pay every 2/3 years to have everywhere nuked.

When in Oz in August, our first day out was to the Bearded Dragon pub (Mt Tambourine Qld). My 8 year old was playing with a rugby ball (diving on the grass to catch it) with his brother and our friend's kids when he came over to us screaming. He had pain on is neck, shoulder, under his arm and down his chest. When we took his top off there was a series of swellings in a path over that area.

Now my son is REALLY brave, having suffered awful ear infections since a baby, so when he complains I take notice. I took him to the bathroom and bathed it with cold water. I always carry an arsenal of medical applications so applied antihistamene cream. This did not work.

The barmaid heard his screams and came in. Straight away she said he had been bitten by bull ants and sprayed him with some freeze spray from their medicine box. I gave him some calpol (god bless calpol) and, thankfully, the pain subsided.

I had absolutely no idea that ants could cause so much pain. She said that its 5 times worse that a wasp sting and really praised my son for his bravery!!!

Obviously, a big tip followed (only second day of the holiday and we didn't know that Ozzies don't tip!) and she was made up.

Son had a bit of an ant phobia after that (can't blame him), till we went to Cairns.

There we saw green bum ants in the rainforest. Our guide told us to squeeze their bodies and suck their bums and it tastes of lime. I looked at my youngest, who was terrified. Then my eldest son grabbed one, squeezed its body and bit its backside. He said it was lovely!!

I hated the thought of it, but knew it would help my youngest if I had a go. I closed my eyes and bit, and it was very lime flavoured. Not exactly moreish, but OK.

Then my youngest had a go. Once he realised it was ok he took vengeance, and ate loads

Last edited by RenShen; Apr 20th 2008 at 11:18 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon there must be more ants in Australia than humans and animals in the whole world.

Up in the Cape York outback there are ant mounds (and termite hills) every few feet. Absolutely heaving with them.

When I say mounds I don't mean bumps in the ground. They are all sizes up to about 5 feet tall "boulders".
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:50 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grossenbol
I did a bit of gardening today and pulled out a large weed, well out pops about a million trillion ants (well it semmed like that many at the time lol). They were big buggers, bout 3/4" in length , black body and red arse. Tried googling them but no joy.
Fiona
One of these?

Or one of these:

?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:52 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Babsw
I think you only get green ants in some jungles, I'm pretty sure they aren't in aus but they are lethal. They have some toxin that kills in mins so it probably wasn't them as you are still typing ( hope!!!! you are still here aren't you....hello, hello....)

I've seen green ants on the grass on the espalande in Cairns, well they were crawling over me...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god, which one is which?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Oh my god, which one is which?
The bull ant is the black one with the huge jaws.

Here, have this:

http://www.ento.csiro.au/science/ants/
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
The bull ant is the black one with the huge jaws.

Here, have this:

http://www.ento.csiro.au/science/ants/
I shall save that pleasure for later, I had better unpack my boxes which have just been delivered.

I have forgotten what I have packed, this should be fun.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I shall save that pleasure for later, I had better unpack my boxes which have just been delivered.

I have forgotten what I have packed, this should be fun.
Fun... ah ha ha ha ha ha... yes, lots of fun.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:37 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey what's the ant in the top picture called? That's the type that lives in my house. they're really slow and dumb looking but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet !
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Hey what's the ant in the top picture called? That's the type that lives in my house. they're really slow and dumb looking but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet !
That's a black headed sugar ant...

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisb...s/SugarAnt.htm
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:10 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Ants-what kind are they?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Perhaps the friendliest ants around.

Interesting, thanks.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Perhaps the friendliest ants around.

Interesting, thanks.
You're welcome.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:40 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar Ants are cool, they dont bite.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Sugar Ants are cool, they dont bite.
'Sugar ants are stingless, although unable to sting, do possess strong mandibles which can bite. In self-defense these ants are also able to spray acid from their abdomens to deter predators.'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.