Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ants-what kind are they?

Ants-what kind are they?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:42 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all
Default Ants-what kind are they?

I did a bit of gardening today and pulled out a large weed, well out pops about a million trillion ants (well it semmed like that many at the time lol). They were big buggers, bout 3/4" in length , black body and red arse. Tried googling them but no joy.
Fiona
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:45 am
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ants-what kind are they?

Originally Posted by grossenbol
I did a bit of gardening today and pulled out a large weed, well out pops about a million trillion ants (well it semmed like that many at the time lol). They were big buggers, bout 3/4" in length , black body and red arse. Tried googling them but no joy.
Fiona
Sounds like bullants to me if they are they can twat you and it hurts trust me
Dave
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:16 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Bull Ants or Meat Ants...

Least they werent Green Ants, that many you wouldnt have been able to type !

Ste
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:55 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Bull Ants or Meat Ants...

Least they werent Green Ants, that many you wouldnt have been able to type !

Ste
Green ants? please tell me you are joking, Ive heard of bull ants but not green ants.

I have been bitten by a bull ant and my leg went numb, how much worse can a green ant be?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Green ants? please tell me you are joking, Ive heard of bull ants but not green ants.

I have been bitten by a bull ant and my leg went numb, how much worse can a green ant be?
I think you only get green ants in some jungles, I'm pretty sure they aren't in aus but they are lethal. They have some toxin that kills in mins so it probably wasn't them as you are still typing ( hope!!!! you are still here aren't you....hello, hello....)
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

wheep0 is an unknown quantity at this point

These sound like the greater spotted dog eating ants, have been known to stip flesh of a bone in minutes. Also highly venemous, if bitten must seek medical help within minutes, as can cause extremly painful last few minutes of life. Have also been known to devour house foundations.
David Bellamy...
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Fiona

Found this picture of a bull ant..... Nasty looking things....
Attached Thumbnails Ants-what kind are they?-bullant.jpg  
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently green ants are found in tropical jungles in Australia..... But Wiki doesn't say they are poisonous.... just irritating bites.

Wouldn't like to find out though.....
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:58 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Green Ants are in SE QLD for sure

They bite and trust me they bloody hurt !!

Edit:

http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...571022346.html

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Apr 20th 2008 at 8:13 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Don't underestimate Bull ant stings.

They have been responsible for a number of deaths in Australia.

http://www.insectvista.com/Bull_Ants.html

G
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:22 pm
Banned

We had 3 Bull Ant nests on last property ( possibly more )

The trick is to go to the opening of the nest, and whack the ground very very hard ( stamp feet )

Then

RUN !
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:42 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Green ants are most deffo alive and very well in SEQ!!!!!

Talking from expereince, their sting hurts like crap!!!!

Funnily enough, was stood on neighbours back porch t'other day chatting away and ankles started to itch - thought, it was just long grass blowing against ankles, until - - - - the little bastards decided to sink their fangs in!!! Luckily it was only a little black ants nest I had decided to stand on and nothing more sinister!! T'was funny though, I had thongs on and it looked like I was wearing black socks!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:37 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Well we had better not mention the INCH ants then.................
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Green ants here in CQ pain they are...there nests can be huge if left for a while and once one runs up your arm the all follow, and they bite like hell...my neighbour had to jump fully clothed into the pool to get the buggers to stop biting. Aparently they are bush tucker, and there arses r tasty

Bull ants....bastards, they can kill if you have the misfortune to stand on a huge nest, they cover your whole body and sting ya over and over. Last time I got stung, my leg was so swollen, hot and sore, laster for 4 weeks and still if I scratch the area where it bit...its slightly painful...bastards.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

I have been stung by a green ant in Cairns (think it was Cairns). I was walking on a nature strip and my toe went numb for a while.

When camping we pitched unknowing near an ants nest. My son was playing in the area and got an ant in his sandal. He was yelping, jumping, crying and really in pain. Some other campers came to help and gave us one of those insect bite sticks but he was still very much in pain. We saw the camp doc who sprayed a liquid on the bites and my son was instantly relieved. We had to keep in spraying every so often. What was in this miracle pain relieving liquid? - Vinegar and water. The doc said you can buy all these expensive things from the chemist but the best and cheapest thing to use is the vinegar and water (50/50 mix). He said it works for most bites except shark bites Apparently it neutralises the toxins in the bite.

When going out in bush area's I always pack my spray bottle of vinegar and water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.