Reload this Page >

Ambulance Cover on WHV

Ambulance Cover on WHV

Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Franconian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ambulance Cover on WHV

Hi all,

I am currently in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. My yearly travel insurance just ended and I can only renew it from the UK (in case of a claim they ask for flight ticket...)

Is it possible to take out ambulance cover? I checked MBF, but this is only possible for permanent residents, i. e. fully Medicare entitled persons.

Otherwise can someone recommend a travel insurance company from the UK where I can start the insurance from Australia?

Thanks,
Frank
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ambulance Cover on WHV

Originally Posted by Franconian
Hi all,

I am currently in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. My yearly travel insurance just ended and I can only renew it from the UK (in case of a claim they ask for flight ticket...)

Is it possible to take out ambulance cover? I checked MBF, but this is only possible for permanent residents, i. e. fully Medicare entitled persons.

Otherwise can someone recommend a travel insurance company from the UK where I can start the insurance from Australia?

Thanks,
Frank
Ambulance cover cost varies from State to State, as do the means of getting the cover - in Qld for example its included in your electric bill.
Are you planning on staying in one State or moving around?
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Franconian is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving around, but as far as I understand it covers everywhere in Australia.
The problem is to find an insurance company who takes temporary residents. I am on a Working Holiday Visa...

I have a Victorian Australian drivers licence (i. e. address there)
Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:12 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a new travel insurance policy even though you've started your trip and are not at home through www.worldnomads.com.au - better safe than sorry!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

just get one of those little blue healthcare/pension cards. i dont think they are hard to get as everyone i see at hospital has one and its the first thing they shove in your face when they get there. they usually arrive in a lexus or mercedes or the relatives follow the ambulance in one, so i dont think they are means tested.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

paddyb157 will become famous soon enoughpaddyb157 will become famous soon enough

I'm on a bridging visa yet i was able to take out ambulance cover for one year for $75 in victoria and i'm fully covered throughout Oz.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teepee
just get one of those little blue healthcare/pension cards. i dont think they are hard to get as everyone i see at hospital has one and its the first thing they shove in your face when they get there. they usually arrive in a lexus or mercedes or the relatives follow the ambulance in one, so i dont think they are means tested.
Winner of the Award for Helpful Post of the Week.........

(and before anyone has a go at me, I am just living up to my new international reputation as the rudest poster on BE)
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by teepee
All you need is a disability, or be seriously ill, or be a carer for someone that is disabled, or be over a certain age, or be a single parent, or be under a certain income limit, or be unemployed or be recently widowed. How well off your relatives are, is not taken into account....

I find that many people who regularly have to go to hospital tend to be in one of those categories.

Back on the topic

Ambulance cover for Victorian residents:
(To become an Ambulance Victoria member you must be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent or temporary resident status.)
http://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/Singles.html
100% cover Australia wide. Free ambulance transport, paramedic care and air ambulance for $75 per year.
It seems that travel insurance will be needed...

It is an interesting point about residency.
Looking at the QLD site for example, it states: "all Queensland residents are covered for emergency ambulance services, both in Queensland and elsewhere across Australia"
The question becomes: what is a resident ? Is a student who resides in QLD a resident ? or do they need a resident visa ?

So a bit more checking... and ...
  • Q: Are overseas students studying in Queensland covered?
  • A: Yes. The Community Ambulance Cover provides ambulance coverage to any student aged less than 25 years who is studying full-time at an educational institution in Queensland. They will remain covered whilst they are a full-time student regardless of the length of time of their enrolment. Proof of enrolment may be required for full-time students from overseas
So a new question ... what about over 25 year old students ?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;8428260]All you need is a disability, or be seriously ill, or be a carer for someone that is disabled, or be over a certain age, or be a single parent, or be under a certain income limit, or be unemployed or be recently widowed. How well off your relatives are, is not taken into account....

if only that were true! i am sure there are many who fit into your categories but there are as many abusing the system. as happens in the uk as well.