Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Post Emigrate Expo Glasgow 14th Mar

Post Emigrate Expo Glasgow 14th Mar

Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Stressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the rough
Default Post Emigrate Expo Glasgow 14th Mar

Hi again to all you lovely people !!

Went to the expo over the w/e & we have just about plucked up the courage to start the whole process for a new life down under (albeit in slow time). I have been told that I could get state sponsorship for WA, SA, VIC & NT. Think we have narrowed it down to WA v VIC. We are a family of 5, kids will be 17, 14 & 10 when we move. Our plan is to work on a 176 visa 2010/11, validate & fact find 2012 & move over 2013 (eldest who is 14 at mo will have finished his exams by then). Opinions on our choice & plan would be very welcome.

Thank-you lovely people
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

PeterYork will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Post Emigrate Expo Glasgow 14th Mar

Hi Eric,

I'm a very infrequent poster but thought I would give you a reply!
Your plan seems very organised and sensible. However to answer the question about location you might want to say what kind of things you an family are interested in getting out of moving to australia? Also by WA vs VIC are you interested mainly in the cities (Mel vs Perth)?

You can find a lot online and on this forum comparing the two. I live in Mel (2 years) and have never been to perth (only major aussie city I haven't visited).

The comparison might be along the lines of

Melbourne: pros: Larger, cultural, 'trendy', nearer to other oz cities
cons: Busy big city feel (traffic etc), expensive housing (though Perth as well I think), cooler (not really cold) in the winter

Perth: Don't know much but supposed to be more laid back lifestyle, better weather/beaches than Melbourne. I think it has a much smaller city feel - shops close early

Melbourne might be better for you if you have teenaged children purely because there will probably be more for them to do (festivals, events, music gigs, bars cafes etc), and there is very good cheap public transport (in inner suburbs at least) for them to travel around independently with friends etc. I don't know how perth stacks up on that front.

Perth is supposed to be very nice but small and so far from everywhere!

Peter
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Stressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the roughStressed Eric is a jewel in the rough

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for your reply. I suppose it is a question of Perth v Melbourne. At the moment we live in a village in the UK close to a small city, so a similar set up in Oz would suit.

What do we want out of Oz? well, better weather, outdoor lifestyle, good employment prospects for myself & our children. We like to explore, our kids are sporty, we like to socialize but we also like to chill. My wife & I aren't really the surfing type but we'll give it a go - we like the beach but wouldn't necessarily label ourselves as beach bums. We like city breaks, live music, good bars etc.

I like the idea of both cities and for me personally Melbourne does sound more interesting, but employability & weather are pushing me towards Perth. I tuned into what you were saying about our kids (during their teenage years) I know what I would go for if I was their age! Thanks again Peter.

Over to you lovely people from Perth.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

samjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nicesamjones1999 is just really nice

I'm not an expert on subject, but the spanner in your works, could be your eldest child. once they pass 18,you have to prove they are dependent on you. Ours turns 18 next month and have been told to apply a.s.a.p and make sure he stays in full time education. You may of already covered this subject but I just thought I'd mention it as its something we had overlooked.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sam,

That was my worry initially but like you say it goes on date of application. As I understand it my son has to be under 18 at time of visa application (at the mo he is 15). Therefore once I have receipt of the visa, all that who are on it (ie my family) can enter Oz. I've been told that even if our eldest was 19 on entry it would be ok, he would be free to work even. If anyone else has more on this please advise.

Eric

Last edited by Stressed Eric; Mar 18th 2010 at 6:56 pm.