Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

Originally Posted by andicee
Have you even read this thread? Are you seriously implying that comparisons haven't been made between the way things are done here and in the UK?

Andy
Read the lot actually!,I asked the question who compared it to the UK ?. If you have read the thread you would see that my bitch is about the people this end not being able to put together a pretty simple procedure of TAFE teachers and TRA assessors talking with each other and informing prospective immigrants with good solid information at the right time.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
All I could find was that chippies didn't have to be registered in Victoria unless they want a Contractors Licence to be self employed. If they are working for an employer they need a Red Card which I think is a safety course which is complusory, am I right in thinking this??

Dolly
Hope this is what you need:
http://www.ohsrep.org.au/index.cfm?s...t&contentid=47

http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/w...WorkSafe/Home/

Go to 'Safety & Prevention' tab, choose 'Your Industry', then click 'Construction & Untilities' link, from that page choose 'OHS Training for the Construction Industry' from links on the left.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:41 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Well i feel sorry for a guy who's just posted on the electricians forum. He's moved to oz with his family, passed the TRA as an electrician. Arrives in oz and submits his ARTC and has it refused. Has to do a test over the phone which is all technical stuff from 25 years ago so cant remember a bloody thing and fails again. Submits another ARTC with more info and fail again. Told nothing more he can do, cant work as an electrician even though he's done it for 25 years in the uk

Stu
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by pogsy
Read the lot actually!,I asked the question who compared it to the UK ?. If you have read the thread you would see that my bitch is about the people this end not being able to put together a pretty simple procedure of TAFE teachers and TRA assessors talking with each other and informing prospective immigrants with good solid information at the right time.
Hmm, you seem a little argumentative. In my post I agrred that hte system is ludicrous. Several posts seem to imply that the way things are done here are worse than in the country where thay currently reside; the UK. And no, I'm not gonna trawl back thru them for an example. I know what I've read. The TRA application does state loud and clear that a positive application is no guarantee of work. It may be arse about face the way they chose to run the system but time arguing is time wasted. I think people need to accept the way things are done and get on with it or don't. Moving to the opther side of the world is a BIG undertaking and to do it and not have done the necessary research is a little foolish. Having said that, all the research in the world doesn't prepare you for real experiences, and I'll be the first one to admit that I have been REAL lucky, but believe you me...I really was prepared for the worst.

Andy
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Womat
Hope this is what you need:
http://www.ohsrep.org.au/index.cfm?s...t&contentid=47

http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/w...WorkSafe/Home/

Go to 'Safety & Prevention' tab, choose 'Your Industry', then click 'Construction & Untilities' link, from that page choose 'OHS Training for the Construction Industry' from links on the left.
Thanks for that
Dolly
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Hmm, you seem a little argumentative. In my post I agrred that hte system is ludicrous. Several posts seem to imply that the way things are done here are worse than in the country where thay currently reside; the UK. And no, I'm not gonna trawl back thru them for an example. I know what I've read. The TRA application does state loud and clear that a positive application is no guarantee of work. It may be arse about face the way they chose to run the system but time arguing is time wasted. I think people need to accept the way things are done and get on with it or don't. Moving to the opther side of the world is a BIG undertaking and to do it and not have done the necessary research is a little foolish. Having said that, all the research in the world doesn't prepare you for real experiences, and I'll be the first one to admit that I have been REAL lucky, but believe you me...I really was prepared for the worst.

Andy
Nor argumentative at all ! just trying to point out what the failings are and to help people in the future, it does not make any difference having the little statement on your TRA acceptance (I saw mine too) when there is absolutely no indication of what or how you go about obtaining a license. It takes an age to get the correct infirmation when you are here so in all honesty what chance has anyone of finding out whilst still in the UK or any other country. I, like you are not to bothered about the process of obtaining the license, but the poor electrician in the post above could probably do with a bit of help.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by pogsy
Nor argumentative at all ! just trying to point out what the failings are and to help people in the future, it does not make any difference having the little statement on your TRA acceptance (I saw mine too) when there is absolutely no indication of what or how you go about obtaining a license. It takes an age to get the correct infirmation when you are here so in all honesty what chance has anyone of finding out whilst still in the UK or any other country. I, like you are not to bothered about the process of obtaining the license, but the poor electrician in the post above could probably do with a bit of help.
True enough and all the information needed is right here. One only has to ask a question and there are lots of folk here that will either point them in the right direction or provide the exact info. Yes the system is nonsense, yes it could be easier and yes it's going to cost. Like I said before tho, there's no substitute for actually being at ground level. Best advice I can offer is to ring around companies in your chosen trade. There's loads of them and yes they are all busy (bit of a sweeping statement but I'm sticking by it based on my experience so far). Tell 'em you're fully qualified in the UK, have x years of experience, are prepared to work and have/are getting the ARTC and have signed up for TAFE. If they are as busy as all the contractors I've met so far, they will probably be grateful for an extra pair of hands. Go to the trades counter of the wholesalers. Bet they can put you in touch with a contractor that is looking for a Tardes Assisstant. Could be a bit more difficult getting in as an apprentice mind you. OK, you may have to start on $16/ hour but if that's all they're offering, try another. And big yourself up a bit. The standards here are atrocious and once they see what you're capable of you will/should quickly progress. Aussies love workers and a 'can do attitude' works wonders.

Andy
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

nickyb will become famous soon enough

we saw the light after our 6 months of livving , emigrating to Australia , could not adjust to the idea that we had basically been blatently ripped off , they say they are screaming out for trades qualified people ? why are so many working as taxi drivers or at Mc donalds ? why do they hate the british ? OK britian is a crap hole but Australia is a nation of con artists and x criminals , they got no fresh water , the traffic is horendous and the sun burns you like a crisp , ohh not to mention the flies . there is one good aspect about Australia ...........it was only a short flight to NEW ZEALAND ,,,,,,,,phew , sanity
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

True enough and all the information needed is right here. One only has to ask a question and there are lots of folk here that will either point them in the right direction or provide the exact info.
Not true in every situation, as I previously posted it took me months of phoning round to get a straight answer - TAFE, TRA, licensing board all saying different and contradictory things.

I admit our situation is different to the norm, but I dont believe for a minute my DH is the only guy to come over who's not got the 7 years exp required for TRA and therefore has to do things differently.

I'm not saying that having to go through the system is bad but like Pogsy, a clear pathway would be nice so we could have known exactly what to do and by now my DH could have had his licence instead of spending a year in a job he didnt like while we tried to figure everything out.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:20 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Dont look at that training as annoying, look at it as its there to PROTECT you.

I am repeating myself now but people are still missing this point - once you start performing work on your licence YOU can be dragged through the BSA/and or courts if necessary if anything about that work is later found to be at fault. It happens all the time and its often a very nasty business with lots of legal stuff flying back and forth and nasty buck passing.

Yes people trained for years in the UK, but this isnt the UK. That bit of hassle up front may save you a lot of legal hassle later on

In short, stay away if you are shit or stubborn.

Plenty of sparkies and the like coming in my shop in manchester saying they have to pay to go back to college to get a cert to csarry on doing the job theyve been doing for 30 years, so are giving up and retiring and finding other jobs, so whats the difference there.

Technology moves on, people need retraining and this way it stops cowboys, and on the plus side you are guaranteed a good job hopefully.

Id be happy to go back to college if i learnt something new, unfortunately aussie hair is the same as british!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=alkristensen;4471881], and on the plus side you are guaranteed a good job hopefully.

Id be happy to go back to college if i learnt something new, unfortunately aussie hair is the same as british!!!

You could always learn how to cut mullets!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:51 am
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alkristensen
In short, stay away if you are shit or stubborn.

Plenty of sparkies and the like coming in my shop in manchester saying they have to pay to go back to college to get a cert to csarry on doing the job theyve been doing for 30 years, so are giving up and retiring and finding other jobs, so whats the difference there.

Technology moves on, people need retraining and this way it stops cowboys, and on the plus side you are guaranteed a good job hopefully.

mbup:
how can you say shit or stubborn.?
are the tradesmen going out there shit?

people feel they have been mislead in the emigration process, that doesnt make them shit or stubborn.
when they get to Aus they have to jump through some hoops. that is fair enough as they're going to a new country. but is it fair for a country to actively induce trades people to emigrate, to solve a supposed trade shortage, and then not get a system in place to get them working?

having read this thread, that seems to be the problem, not Aus /uk comparison.
i read defence of a system that clearly doesnt work..

would a licence make you a better hair dresser?
you havent got a licence cos you dont need one, would that be right!
does that make you, shit or stubborn.......

its not that simple..
a licence simply ticks a little box, it does not make you any better at your trade. these boxes are ticked for litigious and statistical reasons, not for trade improvement.
i do understand the need to learn 'how its done in Aus/Nz/Us but as a country/govt,Aus could have prepared the ground much better than they have. the quicker the trades work and earn the quicker they pay tax, the quicker Aus economy grows..

i promise you i mean no personal offence, but you have to think how the trades who have moved have had their dreams shattered because govt agencies cant get their act together..

all that said, i agree with your general "when in rome" attitude.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 12:29 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilli
a licence simply ticks a little box, it does not make you any better at your trade. these boxes are ticked for litigious and statistical reasons, not for trade improvement.
Your quite wrong on that point:
Actually it does ensure that you are competent at your trade it also makes sure you stay competant. Your work is inspected thoroughly to ensure you meet standards required by the licencing body. If you do a shonky job and are reported to the QBSA you earn a demerit point. If you get [I think it's three] demerits your licence is revoked and your back to working for wages for someone else, if anyone will have you.
Anyone seeking a tradesperson in QLD is actively encouraged to use a licenced one to ensure the work is covered by insurance and done by competant tradesmen. Before engaging any tradesman you can do a QBSA licence search on them and look for yourself if they have any demerits.
Gaining the licence can be a hassle, that's where there is room for improvement. The system itself works, it does keep out cowboys & chancers, it also provides a reassuring check for anyone seeking a tradesperson.
Check out this link to search any builder or tradesman legally working in QLD as a licenced contractor, any defective work is listed for all the world to see. People are often posting here about who's a good builder. Most of the big project builders in Brisbane have defects listed under their names. We use the facility to check out new builders who ask us to quote as bad debtors are also listed.
It's impossible to convey all the complexities of the licencing and the criteria involved as well as the legal obligations here on a forum. Anyone reading this at a PC in the U.K will have no comprehension of how things work here, nor of the red tape involved.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:16 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

what a surprise!
you telling someone they're wrong..

what a surprise that someone from the uk cannot understand!

did you get some extra brain power when you landed in Aus?

nobody will ever get better at a trade by having a box ticked by someone sitting in an office. the system you defend is there for litigation purposes... a way for someone to sue..

i already agreed that trades would need to get into the Aussie way. it could be justified that a licence makes sure that trades do things the Aussie way but that does not make them any better...

you couldnt help yourself could you
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:57 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

The thing that pisses me off and sorry to but in and i can only speak for the electrical licence is half the things they test you on are things that that you did at college many many years ago and are not relevent to the job. I can safely say that 75% of the theory side of things are not needed. Why make you do it all again when you cant bloody remember it. That doesnt make you a bad electrician. Its like i said in an earlier post that poor guy cant work because he failed that test and it was all irelevent questions

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.