Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:49 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

mr bears
i hope your looking at this thread
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
What a great thread, but iv got a bit lost. You say R is a builder of 20 years so how come you had a builder in to do a job for you
Stu
Are you steves twin Was this when he was an electrician, a pom, renewing his licence every 5 years, been here 3 years, erm what the heck are you on about

Edit. Are you talking about getting the bricklayer back for rectifacation work? We dont do the bricklaying, evil job in this climate, pay someone else to do that that type of hell, they have their own licence, as does the plumber, electrician, waterproofer, tiler .... Basically in OZ each tradesman is licenced to do one job. As the builder you can be hands on in the trades your qualified for, but R is manager/consultant side. He wouldnt get many jobs done if he did the bricklaying on projects that size LOL.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 28th 2007 at 9:16 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Are you steves twin Was this when he was an electrician, a pom, renewing his licence every 5 years, been here 3 years, erm what the heck are you on about
its not true i dont know im or is missus ( nurse gladis ) your honour
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Well got the answer to one thing. Went to the tra website, clicked on migrants from overseas, on the first page it clearly says NO tra does not give you a qualification and Yes you may still need to get qualifications and licences, all in BIG print, took about 10 seconds to find.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=steve`o;4466887]
Originally Posted by steve`o

sorry got to go to work now
my australian qualified electrician is waiting to hold my hand

ho hum the joys of been an apprentice again
sorry visions of 2 burly guys holding hands and skipping down the road PMSL. I must need more coffee
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Well got the answer to one thing. Went to the tra website, clicked on migrants from overseas, on the first page it clearly says NO tra does not give you a qualification and Yes you may still need to get qualifications and licences, all in BIG print, took about 10 seconds to find.
(Quote) All it would take is the EXACT rules on licensing/Certificate requirements to be spelt out at the TRA stage of the immigration process which would give everyone the chance to decide if they want to go onto the next stage. A simple answer from the TRA along the lines of "You are classified as a carpenter/joiner but we envisage you attending the local TAFE for 3 months at a cost of $2,000.00 would help that decision. (Unquote)

It is not as if they do not know the rules !!. It just looks like the government know what is going on and are useing it to their advantage by allowing trades people to enter Oz, then charging a lot of money which is generally paid from savings.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steve`o
no according to your own department of immigration stats the majority of skilled workers do come from the uk

but the best do come from manchester in the uk
Thats one type of visa, check the amount of tradies coming in on other visas particuarly from asia. The point was made in relation to the content of the courses, as I said the courses are not just for poms.

Have a lovely day at work, milk and no sugar thanks
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Licencing in some states can be a nightmare, however can anyone really be as naive as to think they could come from another country and just start work?

Surely as has been pointed out the licencing is there to protect everyone. Sure it also has the added bonus of keeping a few Australians employed in assessing qualifications checking skills and tutoring new arrivals.

It took me 9 months to gain a trade contractors licence, that was due in part to bureaucratic bungles. It also had a lot to do with inter department rivalry, one agency claiming you had to do one thing before you could do another.

The reality is licencing works here in QLD. I don't care if your 50 yrs old with 35yrs experience. If your a migrant that experience wasn't in QLD! it wasn't even in Australia. Your coming to a new country with different ways of doing things, why shouldn't you have to retrain in the legal and technical way things are done here? As each trade is responsible legally for their work each person working as a licenced contractor in their chosen trades needs to be aware of the responsibilities. That means they all need to do the same training.
The first thing a good solicitor would do in the event of a major fubar by a newly arrived bloke would be to establish competency and legal obligations.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:01 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont look at that training as annoying, look at it as its there to PROTECT you.

I am repeating myself now but people are still missing this point - once you start performing work on your licence YOU can be dragged through the BSA/and or courts if necessary if anything about that work is later found to be at fault. It happens all the time and its often a very nasty business with lots of legal stuff flying back and forth and nasty buck passing.

Yes people trained for years in the UK, but this isnt the UK. That bit of hassle up front may save you a lot of legal hassle later on
A BIT of hassle if only it was a BIT of hassle, its lot more than that if we were told when you come over you will have to do a exam noone would have a problem with this, its course after course money money money not what we need when we first arrive!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:09 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pogsy
(Quote) All it would take is the EXACT rules on licensing/Certificate requirements to be spelt out at the TRA stage of the immigration process which would give everyone the chance to decide if they want to go onto the next stage. A simple answer from the TRA along the lines of "You are classified as a carpenter/joiner but we envisage you attending the local TAFE for 3 months at a cost of $2,000.00 would help that decision. (Unquote)

It is not as if they do not know the rules !!. It just looks like the government know what is going on and are useing it to their advantage by allowing trades people to enter Oz, then charging a lot of money which is generally paid from savings.
I agree, we were never told by our agent if we had been it would have been alot better!!

It,s all money making at the end of the day isnt it?? its a shame really it didnt half put a dampner on our new life!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kez81
I agree, we were never told by our agent if we had been it would have been alot better!!

It,s all money making at the end of the day isnt it?? its a shame really it didnt half put a dampner on our new life!!
Hi kez81,
I don't think the agents are in a position to give to much details on the licensing but they probably could give an idea to the length of time that it will take to obtain the various trade licenses especially when they have detailed information supplied to them by us regarding everyones specific path to their trade. As I see it the government should be responible for ensuring the people who are training the trades are the same people assessing them at TRA level. Not exactly rocket science however if they do this it would mean some people may be put off immigration at this stage. This in turn would mean a lot of $ lost in revenue.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:43 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

Hi kez81,
I don't think the agents are in a position to give to much details on the licensing but they probably could give an idea to the length of time that it will take to obtain the various trade licenses especially when they have detailed information supplied to them by us regarding everyones specific path to their trade. As I see it the government should be responible for ensuring the people who are training the trades are the same people assessing them at TRA level. Not exactly rocket science however if they do this it would mean some people may be put off immigration at this stage. This in turn would mean a lot of $ lost in revenue.

This in turn would mean a lot of $ lost in revenue.
there you have it.
this thread is real eye opener
the system in place does not work well enough, that much is clear.
immigrants have no political power to get this changed and once licenced,have little desire to get the system changed.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Never once felt stuffed up by the system, all it means is the persons working for us are totally 100% responsible for their work and will be for many years.
The frustrating thing is that just because they are licenced doesnt mean they do a good job.

We have had no end of hassle with the plumbing in our new house, latest was last night we discovered a burst pipe caused by shoddy workmanship to a pipe join.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

No one has said it should be like the UK and I agree that the hassle up front could save you a lot of legal hassle later on, what everyone one is fed up with is the complete lack of communication between the TRA / TAFE and the Department of Immigration. All it would take is the exact rules on licensing/Certificate requirements to be spelt out at the TRA stage of the immigration process which would give everyone the chance to decide if they want to go onto the next stage. A simple answer from the TRA along the lines of "You are classified as a carpenter/joiner but we envisage you attending the local TAFE for 3 months at a cost of $2,000.00 would help that decision.
Exactly

Like I said, it took months of ringing round and getting told all different things until we finally spoke to someone who knew what they were on about.

I dont believe for a minute my DH is the only immigrant ever to arrive having just completed his qualification? So why dont they know this stuff, have it on the web or just a helpline you can phone and it's all clearly laid out: you need to do this, this and this.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

As stated earlier in the thread, if anyone should like to give me details of when you arrived, how long it took to find the correct information and if applicable how long it took to get your license then I will pass it on to the Fed MP I have spoken with. What may also be good for him is weather or not you stayed in the trade of went in a different direction altogether. If trades are coming into Oz and not working in the chosen area they may want to look at why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.