Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Weve employed blokes from overseas, I'm sorry if you dont want to hear this but many dont know the australian rules and regualtions, some will go on all week about how its done in the UK, who cares its not the way it will pass inspection here. Harsh maybe but true. If you want a licence its in your own interest to exaclty the way its done here, a few months of training or getting to know the rules and regs might save you tens of thousands in rectification years down the track.

Main driving down of the wages we see is immigrant tradies submitting ridicul ously cheap prices to undercut existing tradies and get a foot in the door. Another problem is the cheap migrant workers brought in from asia, but thats more a problem in the west.

Tradesmen in short supply, In some areas yes, but housing booms come and go, many areas now have a glut of tradesmen looking for work.
on electrical installations only

the australian wiring regs are almost an exact copy of BS7671
yes the english wiring regs
i cannot see how sending a bristish qualified sparkie back to tafe to do 2nd year apprentiship level wiring diagrams such as star delta statrers etc has anything to do with learning the minimal differences between the aussie wiring regs and it british conterpart from which it is has been taken

o and it isnt a few months training its a year ( minimum ) to get an aussie electrical ticket in qld
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steve`o;4466433]

in answer to you ( sorry its a bit long winded )

Blah de blah de blah......................................

(/QUOTE]

Great rant but I dont know who your replying to, R is not a electician and hes not lived here less than 5 years, so thanks for the accusation about licences.

R is Australian, a domestic and commercial builder having held a licence for over 20 years hes lived her all but 7 of his 40 odd years, and despite your 'knowledge' builders renew licence yearly.

Next time you call someone shite, please at least bother to find out whos talking.

When you get qualified enough to start building multi level projects worth multi millions maybe you will too understand why the legistlation is important. Fancy being held responsible for the work of people who dont know the rules on one of them do ya?

I agree however the TRA should state it doesnt guarantee work and a licence may be necessary, however I've been told that is in the fine print. If thats not so ( and I doubt that) write to them and complain you could call them shite too
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
on electrical installations only

the australian wiring regs are almost an exact copy of BS7671
yes the english wiring regs
i cannot see how sending a bristish qualified sparkie back to tafe to do 2nd year apprentiship level wiring diagrams such as star delta statrers etc has anything to do with learning the minimal differences between the aussie wiring regs and it british conterpart from which it is has been taken

o and it isnt a few months training its a year ( minimum ) to get an aussie electrical ticket in qld
Maybe the course isnt designed by race, its for all immigrants, or should they have a course for each individual race, not the 237 countries immigrants come from.

There is a part time course, (well there was in 2006) it was part time and most work as a TA while completing it.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich;4466554]

in answer to you ( sorry its a bit long winded )

Blah de blah de blah......................................

(/QUOTE]

Great rant but I dont know who your replying to, R is not a electician and hes not lived here less than 5 years, so thanks for the accusation about licences.

R is Australian, a domestic and commercial builder having held a licence for over 20 years hes lived her all but 7 of his 40 odd years, and despite your 'knowledge' builders renew licence yearly.

Next time you call someone shite, please at least bother to find out whos talking.

When you get qualified enough to start building multi level projects worth multi millions maybe you will too understand why the legistlation is important. Fancy being held responsible for the work of people who dont know the rules on one of them do ya?

I agree however the TRA should state it doesnt guarantee work and a licence may be necessary, however I've been told that is in the fine print. If thats not so ( and I doubt that) write to them and complain you could call them shite too
so basically you just ignore it ??

Rich asked tha i put down what i felt was wrong with the system and you come back with we doing muti million dollar jobs we are right you are wrong ?

what kind of answer is that ?

re builder licence i didnt mention anything to do with builder licenecs i put down what happends to sparkies licences ( thats what i know about ) and asked a perfectley ligitimate question that if its so easy to renew your licence have you done it? and how many times, which as you guys have been licenced for some considerable time you have answered

it still dont make the system right !
though i can see now why he`s so passionate about everthing been aussie as he`s promoting his own countries systems
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:52 pm
Worongary

Maybe the course isnt designed by race, its for all immigrants, or should they have a course for each individual race, not the 237 countries immigrants come from.

There is a part time course, (well there was in 2006) it was part time and most work as a TA while completing it.
i did say it was one day a week from feb to august
and as the aussie wiring regas are based on the english regs surly common sense would prevail
or perhaps not
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:54 pm
Worongary

last time i looked the vast majority of skilled workers came from the uk
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Clippies
Thank you Is it 3 months full time or is that just of an evening do you know?
Hi Clippies,
For me it is 3 months part time meaning afternoon here and evening there with a few full days thrown in as well. Also a lot of worksheets that can be completed at home.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:03 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
Hi Clippies,
For me it is 3 months part time meaning afternoon here and evening there with a few full days thrown in as well. Also a lot of worksheets that can be completed at home.
Ok great stuff thanks very much
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

last time i looked the vast majority of skilled workers came from the uk
Yes on BE they do, in real life australia immigrants come from 237 countries not just manchester
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=steve`o;4466607]

so basically you just ignore it ??

Rich asked tha i put down what i felt was wrong with the system and you come back with we doing muti million dollar jobs we are right you are wrong ?

what kind of answer is that ?

re builder licence i didnt mention anything to do with builder licenecs i put down what happends to sparkies licences ( thats what i know about ) and asked a perfectley ligitimate question that if its so easy to renew your licence have you done it? and how many times, which as you guys have been licenced for some considerable time you have answered

it still dont make the system right !
though i can see now why he`s so passionate about everthing been aussie as he`s promoting his own countries systems

Jeez, its like pulling teeth, you asked why he supports the rules, I told you when your building somebodies multi million dollar baby and your arse is on the line you dont want to carry the can for someone who doesnt know what the hell they are doing.

R patriotic about everything aussie Umm as I said read some of his posts.

Reckon you would be better off registering your complaints/anger where they might do some good, the TRA process, you never did reply if the licencing bit is in the small print
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This is what my hubby had to do to get his licence.

Apply for ARTC (one month)
Attend 7 day course at PEER (over 3 weeks)
Pass the exam (one full day)
Apply for his licence (came five days later)

That's it. He's now got an unrestricted electricans licence. It cost us $510 for the PEER course plus the licencing fee ($300ish).

Of course if he wanted to set up as a contractor he'd have to apply for a contractors licence as well. And if he wanted to work on building sites he'd have to do the health and safety thing.

Maybe the rest of Australia should be looking at what South Australia are doing

The guy at PEER is also talking to the government and the TRA about the process as he thinks it's unfair too.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:24 pm
Worongary

Yes on BE they do, in real life australia immigrants come from 237 countries not just manchester
no according to your own department of immigration stats the majority of skilled workers do come from the uk

but the best do come from manchester in the uk
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:27 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Why should overseas tradesmen be allowed to work without the same licencing/training qualifications australians require?

A licence is far more than a peice of paper its the way you (the tradesman) is held financially and legally liable for the work you perform. It was brought in to protect the consumer.

Example 5 years ago we had a brickie do a job for us, hes licenced, he no longer even lives in qld, however when the mortar began to rot he was tracked down and made to rectify the work.

Take every scrap of training and red tape on offer, the work you do here can come back and haunt you years down the track!
What a great thread, but iv got a bit lost. You say R is a builder of 20 years so how come you had a builder in to do a job for you
Stu
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:31 pm
Worongary

[QUOTE=jad n rich;4466759]

Jeez, its like pulling teeth, you asked why he supports the rules, I told you when your building somebodies multi million dollar baby and your arse is on the line you dont want to carry the can for someone who doesnt know what the hell they are doing.

R patriotic about everything aussie Umm as I said read some of his posts.

Reckon you would be better off registering your complaints/anger where they might do some good, the TRA process, you never did reply if the licencing bit is in the small print

answer to the small print taken from tra website

If you want to have your skills accredited or become registered or licensed in Australia, you may have to undertake further training, testing or assessment on your arrival.

is there and i knew that
that is why i applied for my artc whilst still in the uk
because if you wait untill you arrive and then they refuse you ( which does happen ) your really stuffed
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:43 pm
Worongary

[QUOTE=steve`o;4466822]

answer to the small print taken from tra website

If you want to have your skills accredited or become registered or licensed in Australia, you may have to undertake further training, testing or assessment on your arrival.

is there and i knew that
that is why i applied for my artc whilst still in the uk
because if you wait untill you arrive and then they refuse you ( which does happen ) your really stuffed

sorry got to go to work now
my australian qualified electrician is waiting to hold my hand

ho hum the joys of been an apprentice again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.