Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advantages of having PR?

Advantages of having PR?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advantages of having PR?

I was forced to pay a small fortune for health insurance by the employer while on a 457 visa. Despite being entitled to medicare I was told that the insurance was necessary for covering other things, such as that if I was too ill to work the insurance would pay my employer to hire someone else.

Once I got PR I switched insurance to one which was a quarter of the price!

I also saved about $30 on my car insurance when I switched to an Aussie driving licence.

Another financial advantage is that it puts you in a much better position for negotiating a pay rise at work, since you can start applying for better paid jobs and scare your boss that you may leave.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I was forced to pay a small fortune for health insurance by the employer while on a 457 visa. Despite being entitled to medicare I was told that the insurance was necessary for covering other things, such as that if I was too ill to work the insurance would pay my employer to hire someone else.

Once I got PR I switched insurance to one which was a quarter of the price!

I also saved about $30 on my car insurance when I switched to an Aussie driving licence.

Another financial advantage is that it puts you in a much better position for negotiating a pay rise at work, since you can start applying for better paid jobs and scare your boss that you may leave.
Thanks all valid points....love the scaring the boss one
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think that's on our list of advantages too
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

We have been on 457 for nearly 2 yrs and only now are we ready to apply for PR. Firstly, we didn't realise how expensive Australia was and despite my OH's good salary we have been struggling. We really couldn't afford to lose the LAFHA benefit - plus, you lose LAFHA as soon as you apply for PR and considering the length of time it takes to get PR (up to 2 yrs) it just hasn't been an option for us. However, we now feel like we want to make Perth our home, at least for the foreseeable future and we would like to buy a house. We figured that you lose the LAFHA as soon as you buy so thought we'd kill 2 birds with one stone and apply at the same time. We are fortunate as we can fast track through OH's work but financially a salary rise and me putting the kids in day care and working full time will just about cover the loss in LAFHA.

I suppose what I am saying is that unless / until you are sure that you want to be here for the long term you may as well stay on the 457 IMHO. For us, the 'lifestyle' aspect of moving here will change with the loss of the LAFHA, however we like the place enough to sacrifice the finances.

I hope this makes sense!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movin'on
you lose LAFHA as soon as you apply for PR
I do hope somebody can confirm this one way or another, once and for all. I've read the above on BE since before we moved here, but we have just applied for PR and my husband's HR department says it is not the case. They're still paying it, and I'm hoping they're right.

(Although I'm not fussed enough to google it, obviously. Lazy, I am. )
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I do hope somebody can confirm this one way or another, once and for all. I've read the above on BE since before we moved here, but we have just applied for PR and my husband's HR department says it is not the case. They're still paying it, and I'm hoping they're right.

Based on previous posts on here, it depends on the HR/Payroll dept being willing to state to the ATO that they consider the recipient of the LAFHA to "be living away from home" -home can be anywhere, Aus or abroad.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Based on previous posts on here, it depends on the HR/Payroll dept being willing to state to the ATO that they consider the recipient of the LAFHA to "be living away from home" -home can be anywhere, Aus or abroad.
I came on 457 as well. As soon as the PR process started the LAFHA stopped. As Polly said, it depends on how much HR are willing to lie to the ATO.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by movin'on
We have been on 457 for nearly 2 yrs and only now are we ready to apply for PR. Firstly, we didn't realise how expensive Australia was and despite my OH's good salary we have been struggling. We really couldn't afford to lose the LAFHA benefit - plus, you lose LAFHA as soon as you apply for PR and considering the length of time it takes to get PR (up to 2 yrs) it just hasn't been an option for us. However, we now feel like we want to make Perth our home, at least for the foreseeable future and we would like to buy a house. We figured that you lose the LAFHA as soon as you buy so thought we'd kill 2 birds with one stone and apply at the same time. We are fortunate as we can fast track through OH's work but financially a salary rise and me putting the kids in day care and working full time will just about cover the loss in LAFHA.

I suppose what I am saying is that unless / until you are sure that you want to be here for the long term you may as well stay on the 457 IMHO. For us, the 'lifestyle' aspect of moving here will change with the loss of the LAFHA, however we like the place enough to sacrifice the finances.

I hope this makes sense!
Interestingly my company said we could still claim the food component of LAFHA even after buying a home. Just the rent section of LAFHA would end.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:35 am
Auntie Fa

Cheers folks. It's an MNC and we're not the first to go through this process so I would hope they'd know. They certainly wouldn't intentionally do anything that would get any of us in trouble.

It's not a huge deal as we expected to lose it when we applied, but paying it back in a lump sum would be a bit of a bummer.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Interestingly my company said we could still claim the food component of LAFHA even after buying a home. Just the rent section of LAFHA would end.
Thanks - that's worth knowing.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:48 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Am i the only person who is MUCH worse of on a 457!!! We don't get any LAFHA, and just manage to scrape by! If we had PR, which we will get next Jan, we would currently be entitled to $400 a fortnight from centrelink, PLUS medicare, PLUS money off childcare!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:34 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Am i the only person who is MUCH worse of on a 457!!! We don't get any LAFHA, and just manage to scrape by! If we had PR, which we will get next Jan, we would currently be entitled to $400 a fortnight from centrelink, PLUS medicare, PLUS money off childcare!
I guess it depends on your circumstances. We do get LAFHA, we have no kids, and we have a good joint income so no benefits whatsoever would come into the equation.