Reload this Page >

Moving $250,000 to UK - best way to do it

Moving $250,000 to UK - best way to do it

Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Reefka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving $250,000 to UK - best way to do it

Hi,

I need to move a significant amount of money form OZ to UK - has anyone got any experience or advice on best way to do this?

I had an idea to try and find someone who needs to move a similar amount of money in the opposite direction and help each other out - is it a wise idea?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving $250,000 to UK - best way to do it

When you say find someone, do you mean someone you may not know very well?? If so I would say it is a terrible idea.

Personally I just got my Bermuda bank to wire money to my UK bank account when I left Bermuda but there may be better rates to be had elsewhere, e.g thru HIFX.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Reefka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
When you say find someone, do you mean someone you may not know very well?? If so I would say it is a terrible idea.

Personally I just got my Bermuda bank to wire money to my UK bank account when I left Bermuda but there may be better rates to be had elsewhere, e.g thru HIFX.
Why is it such a terrible idea? if someone is buying a house or apartment in Australia using UK pounds they will be losing a minimum 1-1.5% $3000-4000 in exchange rate gouging by a bank or fx company - I'm also losing a similar amount in the opposite direction... so why not help each other out?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:05 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reefka
Why is it such a terrible idea? if someone is buying a house or apartment in Australia using UK pounds they will be losing a minimum 1-1.5% $3000-4000 in exchange rate gouging by a bank or fx company - I'm also losing a similar amount in the opposite direction... so why not help each other out?
Because of the risks involved in dealing with someone who hasn't got a reputable background you can count on ! unlike a bank or money broker, ok maybe not reputable but you have some safety. I'd pay $4000 if I knew my money was safe rather than trying to save it and potentially losing it all.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just use Ozforex because at least you will get a better rate than the banks. Doing deals over money transfers for a quarter of a milion dollars just sounds as though its one of those things which may end badly.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

I've used Ozforex on several occasions - bit hairy first time but never had a problem and damn sight better rate than when I used banks!

PS: what a great time to buy £'s - 1.73 seems to be a good bottom to work to!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Use www.ozforex.com
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

How exactly do you do this by the way.... I mean transfer large amounts of money.

For instance in my case I dont have a UK bank account. Would it be ok to transfer to say my Fathers account ?

I do know from now on I will use Pennytel to transfer money. Would Pennytel really only charge 8 bucks to send over 250,000 AUD ?

http://www.pennytel.com/au/

So if someone who is a UK passport holder, with no current status in the UK, how do they transfer large amounts over ?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
How exactly do you do this by the way.... I mean transfer large amounts of money.

For instance in my case I dont have a UK bank account. Would it be ok to transfer to say my Fathers account ?
With Ozforex, you enter the account details for the account you want the money to go to. So, you'd put down your father's account details - and they will transfer the money to that account.

For $250,000 Ozforex will not charge you anything for the transfer.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

if you have a good relationship with your bank then see what rate they'll give you, we've always managed to negociate a better deal than hifx/ozforex could offer for large sums though we use hifx for smaller amounts
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
With Ozforex, you enter the account details for the account you want the money to go to. So, you'd put down your father's account details - and they will transfer the money to that account.

For $250,000 Ozforex will not charge you anything for the transfer.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

You may find with the bank that anything over a certain amount [e.g. $10,000] will be transferred and converted at spot money-market rates which will be better than the normal bank rates.

Either use a bank or a forex company.

I can't believe anyone is daft enough to suggest transferring quarter of a million dollars on trust to someone ! Sounds very fishy to me...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Reefka
You are right, this is the best way. In fact I can help you - need to move GBP150K to Oz, so lets just swap. If you can deposit the $250K in my Oz bank account, I'll get around to giving you the sterling soon
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:35 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to close this thread. Suffice to say there is some good advice about reputable FX companies that many of us have personal experience with and I would strongly suggest that nobody enters into private deals with individuals, especially one with 2 posts on a forum

To the OP - use our search facility. Its great. You'll find a wealth of knowledge on the subject of how to transfer money.