Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advantages of having PR?

Advantages of having PR?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Advantages of having PR?

CAn you give me what you think are the financial advantages of having PR versus remaining on a 457. Financially it would make a BIG difference (staying on a 457) even WITH paying for school fees at a public school .
Not yet in a position to buy a house either.
Any pros would be a bonus if you have any please or would it be better to wait the rest of the 3 year term out (til end of 457 and go Employer nominated which they are happy to do.)

Last edited by plantpot; Jan 18th 2010 at 2:49 am.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages of having PR?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...28Australia%29

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks those are the ones I am aware of, seems at the moment no benefit to me becoming a PR. Although at some point it will do.

Any personal anedotes also welcome.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You have read that and think you are better off on a temporary visa. Gosh. I don't think you will find many people that will be able to provide anecdotes on why a temporary visa is better to be honest.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
CAn you give me what you think are the financial advantages of having PR versus remaining on a 457. Financially it would make a BIG difference (staying on a 457) even WITH paying for school fees at a public school .
Not yet in a position to buy a house either.
Any pros would be a bonus if you have any please or would it be better to wait the rest of the 3 year term out (til end of 457 and go Employer nominated which they are happy to do.)
Spent our first 3 years here on a 457 and hated knowing that at any time the axe could fall and we would have 28 days to leave or find another sponsor. I couldn't live like that. We now have PR with citizenship happening next week. You have no control as a temporary resident and if money is your motivation then stay as you are. If you want stability and want to settle here for the considerable future then I suggest you get PR as soon as possible. No reason why you should have to wait 3 years for your employer to sponsor you.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Financially, of course we are better off on a 457. For us it boils down to security - we came here with an existing employer, fully relocated, 457 was a quick way to get us here, and my husband's doing really well but one never knows what might happen with his company as a whole. We were in that situation in Singapore when his company went bust and we had no hesitation getting PR as soon as he (thankfully) found somebody else to employ him.

PR here also means I am slightly more employable and he is obviously more mobile.

Staying on a 457 is a personal choice, weighing up money v security, and I think also affected by whether you consider yourselves expats or migrants.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:58 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

for us my OH has job security on a 457 with a multinational
we have full medical insurance including repatriation of remains
we get good lafha
if we took pr the lafha would be included in his salary and hence taxed which would leave us worse off

the only benefits for us of PR is that we could leave Australia and come back easily and wouldn't have to worry about extending the visa
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You could get employment with a local goverment agency if you wanted it.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I've known two people made redundant on 457, fortunately they both managed to get jobs before their "go home" date came around but one of them was pretty worried as they had an unusual job.

I also knew someone in Singapore who was made redundant and also only had 28 days to find a new employer, he couldn't and ended up back in Britain after having not lived there for over 20 years!

The problem with sponsorship jobs is that you have to find another employer set up to sponsor, someone maybe able to offer you a job but if they've not been through the whole rigmarole, company audited etc then some employers are not interested - it costs an employer quite a lot to be able to sponsor overseas workers.

As others have said depends on how much security you want v. financials!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

I've known two people made redundant on 457, fortunately they both managed to get jobs before their "go home" date came around but one of them was pretty worried as they had an unusual job.

I also knew someone in Singapore who was made redundant and also only had 28 days to find a new employer, he couldn't and ended up back in Britain after having not lived there for over 20 years!

The problem with sponsorship jobs is that you have to find another employer set up to sponsor, someone maybe able to offer you a job but if they've not been through the whole rigmarole, company audited etc then some employers are not interested - it costs an employer quite a lot to be able to sponsor overseas workers.

As others have said depends on how much security you want v. financials!
Thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
You could get employment with a local goverment agency if you wanted it.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is this LAFHA so significant then that it means people are better off getting that and paying their own school fees etc then? Don't know why but I thought it was a minor tax benefit, not that I have looked into it.

I don't think multinationals mean job security either. I have always worked for multinationals and have seen loads of people lose their jobs over the years through redundancy, restructuring etc.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Financially, of course we are better off on a 457. For us it boils down to security - we came here with an existing employer, fully relocated, 457 was a quick way to get us here, and my husband's doing really well but one never knows what might happen with his company as a whole. We were in that situation in Singapore when his company went bust and we had no hesitation getting PR as soon as he (thankfully) found somebody else to employ him.

PR here also means I am slightly more employable and he is obviously more mobile.

Staying on a 457 is a personal choice, weighing up money v security, and I think also affected by whether you consider yourselves expats or migrants.
Happy new year
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is this LAFHA so significant then that it means people are better off getting that and paying their own school fees etc then? Don't know why but I thought it was a minor tax benefit, not that I have looked into it.
Yes. Even paying school fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.