Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adjusting to the Weather??

Adjusting to the Weather??

Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of
Default Adjusting to the Weather??

Hi long does it take us Brits - who don't get a lot of sun - especially not at Oz temperatures - to adjust to the weather?

Is it that unbearable that it is the heat that keeps you indoors like the rain & cold does in the UK?

Is it true that the schools don't have air conditioning? If so, how are your kids finding the heat at school?

Thanks
Al x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjusting to the Weather??

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hi long does it take us Brits - who don't get a lot of sun - especially not at Oz temperatures - to adjust to the weather?

Is it that unbearable that it is the heat that keeps you indoors like the rain & cold does in the UK?

Is it true that the schools don't have air conditioning? If so, how are your kids finding the heat at school?

Thanks
Al x

I've been here 8 months, I go outside nearly everyday. Obviously when it's 37 plus it's not for very long, on them days I tend to either stay at home or go out shopping in a nice airconditioned mall

They have aircon at my kids schools (both of them)
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here just about as long as Wendy. Same thing. When it's nice out (25-30ish) we're outside enjoying it. When it's over about 35 we tend to stay indoors in the aircon. My childrens' schools are also air conditioned as are both of my workplaces.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We've been here just about as long as Wendy. Same thing. When it's nice out (25-30ish) we're outside enjoying it. When it's over about 35 we tend to stay indoors in the aircon. My childrens' schools are also air conditioned as are both of my workplaces.
No problems adjusting to the heat for us. It does feel a little chilly though when it drops below 24 degrees!!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Yep my sons schools are both air conditioned - but their bus isn't which is hard!

Find heat fine ... you do adjust so quickly! I laugh when I realise for 28 c in UK I'd be swealtering and yet here you're talking about the cool change!

We've found it hard to get used to the variety in that a) it'll go from 10c in am to 32c by afternoon in same day and b) it could be 38c on one day, very next day could be only 24c
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:30 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Al x
we adjusted very quickly...infact we arrived in the aussie winter and found it bloody freezing at night and a couple days there was a chilly wind. The heat doesnt stop us from going outside......you just tend to be seeking shade all the time, walk where theres shade...park where theres shade etc. It was over 46 here in the shade on Monday I sat outside no probs...although a tad sweaty lol. We have aircon in the house but never use it(well apart from Monday night still being 36 at 11pm I put it on for the kids) Kids schools have aircon but they try not to use it too much....the kids prefer to have the fans on and windows open. Just drink plenty water and take it easy
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

We came out last Feb, so we expected it to hit us quite hard, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. It does seem odd that you think of 27c as not being hot
We had our first 38c day on Sunday & it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'd been dreading x-mas, as I'd heard it would be mad hot. As it was, it was just nice.
It still makes me smile that they sell all the proper winter clothes here, boots,jumpers,big winter coats - the most we wore last winter was a fleece
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:40 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Best way is not to use the air cond too much.

Bugs me when people move here mainly from southern states for the "weather" then spend all day inside running the air cond.
If you don't like the heat why move here

Thanks
Al x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:42 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
Best way is not to use the air cond too much.

Bugs me when people move here mainly from southern states for the "weather" then spend all day inside running the air cond.
totally agree
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:47 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Adjusting is really all about your body being able to cool however there are some factors that those from a cold climate will take to adjust. Mainly its around 24 hours only. Being overweight doesnt help either. Wearing the right clothing, and doing the right amount of exertion at the correct time is the key to being cool. Drinking lots of water, seeking shade and resting are more important than body adjustments. Do the above and you will get used to it very quickly.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Al x
2 years in and being of fair complexion anyway I still find 'hot' hot, my tolerance probably has altered a bit but I find my ideal temp during the day is around 28.

It's more the changes in humidity that get me, it just saps the energy right out of you ...

We don't have aircon at home and are learning to manage the weather 'passively' (as opposed to burning electricity to do it), it's do-able and the cooler months make up for high summer as those days can be SPECTACULAR.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Because the heat doesnt last long and there are other reasons to live here than the weather...

I find anything 30+ feels hot, about 26-29 is just right and anything under 25 can feel chilly!

I was the same as someone else, used to melt in the Uk if the mercury hit 25 yet here I cope with pretty much everything except days of 35+ when I melt (although being fair in our 1st year (2005/6) we had a very cool summer and this year I have been heavily pregnant!)

The really hot days dont last that long though and on the whole temperatures are just right, you can walk round in a t-shirt but dont sweat cobs!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I go out everyday. Most extreme weather I've encountered so far as the 47 degrees last new years eve - was like walking through a town-sized hair dryer. Just wear a hat, slap on the sunscreen and keep yourself hydrated and you'll be fine. To be honest, my son's adapted quicker than my missus - and yes, his school has aircon in the classrooms too.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The thing to remember is when its hot, its hot enough that everybody feels it aussies included, especially aussies, you tend to find poms try to be 'brave' about it, oh its only 37 its not that bad while doing a lobster impression. Aussies will just come right out and say its freaking boiling today or have a bloody good whinge about how hot the summers are nowdays.

No ac in schools here, you find it more in the southern states as they obviously need heating in winter and will use a reverse cycle system so the bonus is ac in summer. Fans only at every school weve seen here and thats a few (hundred ) I dont think this summers been that hot, but when its a hot one the AC issue in schools goes off with parents/teachers cracking up all over the place.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The thing to remember is when its hot, its hot enough that everybody feels it aussies included, especially aussies, you tend to find poms try to be 'brave' about it, oh its only 37 its not that bad while doing a lobster impression. Aussies will just come right out and say its freaking boiling today or have a bloody good whinge about how hot the summers are nowdays.
Very true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.