Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adjusting to the Weather??

Adjusting to the Weather??

Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:00 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjusting to the Weather??

I agree.

But there are people that run there air cond 6 months of the year and consider 18-20 just right

Originally Posted by bridie
I find anything 30+ feels hot, about 26-29 is just right and anything under 25 can feel chilly!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I agree.

But there are people that run there air cond 6 months of the year and consider 18-20 just right
madness!!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:29 am
Just Joined

glazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the roughglazfolk is a jewel in the rough

Hey AllyKev,

I don't think you've told us exactly which part of Oz you're thinking about ... no problems adjusting to the climate/weather down here in Tassie ... a bit too much on the dry side for mine, but temperatures very temperate!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

This is my 2nd summer here in Brissie. During my first summer I found the hot days unbearable where as this year I have found the very hot days, uncomfortable but they haven't been too much of a drama at all.

It makes a big difference to have a pool to cool down in, or some air con to escape into, to get a bit of relief.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the person how quickly they acclimatise. My OH did very quickly, but, after over 40 years, I still don't cope well with anything over 25. In fact my sons liken me to the girl in the Exorcist when it is hot!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:05 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

I work outside all the time so its a case of having to get used to it.We wear full length overalls too .The thing is you know your gonna get soaked in sweat but so is your workmates so everyone just drinks loads of water and gets on with it.We came over in September and all the Aussies at work were going on about how us Poms were gonna die with the heat come Christmas.But we had the mildest Summer on record so I guess I was lucky and by next Christmas I should be well adjusted.
My littlun allready has it sussed.He is 5 and always seeks shade when we are out.He says "Dad I'm going into the shadows"
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:10 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hi long does it take us Brits - who don't get a lot of sun - especially not at Oz temperatures - to adjust to the weather?

Is it that unbearable that it is the heat that keeps you indoors like the rain & cold does in the UK?

Is it true that the schools don't have air conditioning? If so, how are your kids finding the heat at school?

Thanks
Al x
Melbourne is great...temperate in Oz terms.....a few days in the 40's in the summer, but usually bearable. After the first year, 25C-33C was pleasant for me, above 33C was beginning to get a bit hot, and below about 20C was cold.

Air Con in schools vary depending on the school...some do, some don't
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Alex and I spent a year in Asia and got very used to heat and humidity - I actually like humidity!
We had been in temeratures of between 28-38 for months when we went to Hanoi where it was about 17. We had to where gloves, fleeces, hats etc as though it were icy!!!!
The other thing is that cold beer never tastes better than when you are really hot!!
Top tip that I picked up in Asia, especially Thailand, is to put ice in your beer!! Sounds bizarre but works a treat!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
I work outside all the time so its a case of having to get used to it.We wear full length overalls too .The thing is you know your gonna get soaked in sweat but so is your workmates so everyone just drinks loads of water and gets on with it.We came over in September and all the Aussies at work were going on about how us Poms were gonna die with the heat come Christmas.But we had the mildest Summer on record so I guess I was lucky and by next Christmas I should be well adjusted.
My littlun allready has it sussed.He is 5 and always seeks shade when we are out.He says "Dad I'm going into the shadows"
I found the way the aussies struggle suprising. They moan like hell as the temp gets near 35. Also when you tell people that you have only been here 8 months they say " how are you coping with the heat" with a smug grin on their face I love the heat, its the main reason we came here, I wouldn't consider living here if it wasn't for the great weather.
I work in a tin workshop that gets close to 45 degrees everyday, just a fan to keep me cool, not a problem, I sweat like a rapist but hey, its better than being cold.
Went to look at a house a while ago and the ginga estate agent spent the whole time holding a brolly over me, it was July for god sake. Told her to get that thing away from me it cost me thousands to get here for a bit of sun.
My wifes parents live in Dubai and if any body thinks this is hot take a holiday there in July, 50+ .
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
I sweat like a rapist
What a lovely choice of phrase.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jon and alex
Alex and I spent a year in Asia and got very used to heat and humidity - I actually like humidity!
We had been in temeratures of between 28-38 for months when we went to Hanoi where it was about 17. We had to where gloves, fleeces, hats etc as though it were icy!!!!
The other thing is that cold beer never tastes better than when you are really hot!!
Top tip that I picked up in Asia, especially Thailand, is to put ice in your beer!! Sounds bizarre but works a treat!
I agree, i spent two years in the Amazonian region of Brazil and still dream about how fantastic the cold beer was at the end of the afternoon They used to set the freezers at about -2 degrees and keep it in there so that when you opened the beer the release in pressure would mean it would just go to the state between liquid and solid... beer as cold as you can get and still drink it... they really know how to serve beer there!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
What a lovely choice of phrase.
Better than sweating like Michael Jackson in a school changing room :-))
Old Mar 15th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Better than sweating like Michael Jackson in a school changing room :-))
Delightful. At least that one takes some working out.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Adjusting to the Weather??

Originally Posted by glazfolk
Hey AllyKev,

I don't think you've told us exactly which part of Oz you're thinking about ... no problems adjusting to the climate/weather down here in Tassie ... a bit too much on the dry side for mine, but temperatures very temperate!

Hi - we don't know yet? Probably be NSW or Melbourne. But we are coming out for a trip next March (Perth,Mel,Syd&Brisbane)to decide on an area to concentrate our research on.

Thanks for the response!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

AllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud ofAllyKev has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gibbo
In fact my sons liken me to the girl in the Exorcist when it is hot!
Best not move too close to you then!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.