Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

8 hours at Sydney airport

8 hours at Sydney airport

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:05 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 8 hours at Sydney airport

Originally Posted by quoll
All depends on who you are travelling with - I have never paid to transfer in either direction but that is because I fly with Qantas. If both legs are with them then you just get on the bus after you have checked in your luggage at the international terminal for your domestic departure.
There might be issues because it's not a straight transfer. They are two completely different bookings.

So her one journey ends by landing in Sydney. She then starts another separate journey by leaving Sydney and going to Adelaide. There is no transfer because it's not really a connecting flight. I would be surprised if the trip between terminals was free.

We had a similar problem at the Brisbane airport. When we left on our trip our flight left from the domestic terminal because our first flight went to Sydney and then on to LA. When we returned we landed in the international terminal because we had come directly from LA into Brisbane. So we had to get ourselves from the international terminal to the domestic where our car was parked. We had to pay for the transfer because we weren't connecting anywhere. They didn't care about the circumstances and they checked the tickets to be sure.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

The taxi queue can be extremely long depending on the time of day, and if you need to wait for larger taxi to fit in baby seats etc, you might be in for a long wait.

I have never used the train between terminals, but you shouldnt have to stand in a long and disorganised queue for a taxi.

I sure that plenty of others will have some good advice.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:31 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The International Transfer on Qantas is that you walk out of customs hall into the main 'arrivals' area on the austrlian side of the airport - turn to the right and walk 500mtrs then turn right into the transfers area where you can check your bags, and get given boarding passes for the domestic flight. On the return leg you land in domestic - walk to the far right staying in the 'air side' of the terminal, there is transfer desk, and same thing -s how boarding pass, get on abus, etc, assuming your bags are checked through. Otherwise you got to go utside get your bags and owrk out a taxi or bus

A taxi between terminals will be about 20$ and loads of grief from the taxi driver.

You will then get on a bus , takes 10 minutes, drives you to domestic terminal and you are already air-side.

You can come+go from the air-side of sydney domestic terminal as many times sa you want walk through the x-ray machines and just get re-xrayed.

A taxi to Sydney to the rocks /opera house will be 60$+
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

akat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone!!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:56 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I'm with Daydreamer - check in your bags if you can, and if you cant then leave them in the left luggage office, I am sure there would be one somewhere then catch the train to Circular Quay and have a coffee in the sunshine. The terminal would be too boring for words
I agree, that sounds like a great idea. The International Terminal at Sydney is terrible. After 8 hours you would be going crazy.